You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2020 4:57 am  #1

Reservations starting from unofficial access points?

Hello all. Wondering how to do this. Admittedly I haven't tried calling in a reservation yet, but I'm assuming the available options for an agent over the phone working on the system will be the same as I get when I try to book online -- i.e., official access points only. I was surprised my search of the forum revealed nothing on this topic. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms, but surely the question has been asked before now. So either this is a taboo subject or I'm just too dense to see the obvious. Either way, please point me in the right direction. And thanks in advance! 

5/28/2020 5:59 am  #2

Re: Reservations starting from unofficial access points?

Just tell them the closest official access point. And go in wherever you want, and have fun!

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (5/28/2020 6:00 am)

5/29/2020 3:34 am  #3

Marko_Mrko wrote:

Just tell them the closest official access point. And go in wherever you want, and have fun!

Thanks Marko. Hmmm . . . well, that works as far as I'm concerned, but it would seem to make a mockery of both the reservation system and the permitting procedure. I suppose, however, anyone patrolling vehicles for valid permits only looks at the return date anyway. 

5/29/2020 5:22 am  #4

I'm not sure there is a lot of patrolling, and certainly there is no patrolling of the unofficial access points (that are generally outside the APP boundaries). There is a lot of bureaucratic silliness in the world, the backcountry should minimize this. Just get out there, stay safe and have fun!

5/29/2020 2:35 pm  #5

Paddlerunner wrote:

Hello all. Wondering how to do this. Admittedly I haven't tried calling in a reservation yet, but I'm assuming the available options for an agent over the phone working on the system will be the same as I get when I try to book online -- i.e., official access points only. I was surprised my search of the forum revealed nothing on this topic. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms, but surely the question has been asked before now. So either this is a taboo subject or I'm just too dense to see the obvious. Either way, please point me in the right direction. And thanks in advance! 

What exactly do you mean by "Unofficial" Access Point? I'm considering a trip starting at Billy Lake which Jeff has marked as access A45, but it doesn't show up in the reservation system. However, I'm quite sure that the park expects you to get your permit at Access 17 (Shall Lake) and then park your car at A45. Every unofficial spot will be a little unique so maybe someone here can give you specific advise.

5/29/2020 4:37 pm  #6

Thanks solos. I think you're right, it's going to depend on the specific access point and its proximity to official ones. I was looking at Sunday Lake but have decided against it as it'll be a trip over 2 weeks long and I don't think I want to leave my vehicle in such out of the way place for that much time. Considering other options at this point.

5/29/2020 4:58 pm  #7

You would get your permit at the east or west gate. I wouldn't have any more concern parking there than I would at Canoe Lake or Magnetewan. That is to say, your car might get broken into or not. Every year there are lots of reported break ins at the main access points along 60 and the West side. You could also park at the Tall Pines trail parking Lot. More public, more cars and other people around (during the day).

A safer option might be to park at overflow parking Kearney or Whitefish Lake.

Last edited by MartinG (5/29/2020 5:00 pm)

5/30/2020 4:50 am  #8

Thanks Martin. Guess you'd still book as though starting from the nearest main access in any case, correct? 

I don't know--back in the winter it seemed to be a big deal about parking my car overnight at the Mew Lake parking lot access to the airfield. I only learned after the fact that I probably shouldn't have parked where I did, although it wasn't at all clear from the signage or the brochure I got at the East gate that I shouldn't. Or indeed, where the heck I was supposed to park alternatively!

Anyway, I appreciate the insights everyone. Many thanks.

5/30/2020 4:20 pm  #9

I've parked at Mew Lake to access the air field without giving it any thought. Didn't realize that was an issue. I wouldn't be concerned parking at whitefish, as a group campground they have tons of space. No one is going to say boo as long as you have some kind of permit on your dash.

As far as the reservation system goes I'm not much help. 90% of my trips can't be booked on line because  of some kind of hiccup. So, I've just got in the habit of calling them in. Or just getting a permit when I arrive. Yes, I just say whatever access is closest.

2 weeks from Sunday Lake. Hmm, Meanest Link?

5/30/2020 11:24 pm  #10

MartinG wrote:

I've parked at Mew Lake to access the air field without giving it any thought. Didn't realize that was an issue. I wouldn't be concerned parking at whitefish, as a group campground they have tons of space. No one is going to say boo as long as you have some kind of permit on your dash.

As far as the reservation system goes I'm not much help. 90% of my trips can't be booked on line because of some kind of hiccup. So, I've just got in the habit of calling them in. Or just getting a permit when I arrive. Yes, I just say whatever access is closest.

2 weeks from Sunday Lake. Hmm, Meanest Link?

Yessir. Trying to strategize to get the overused and abused cottagy section out of the way off the top so I can enjoy the pure carrying hell of the low-populated, high portage section later Thanks for the tip on Whitefish; another good option.

5/31/2020 7:42 am  #11

Plenty of parking off to the side of the Sunday Lake Access point at the head of the portage. 
But could always park at Big Pines Trailhead and make that 1.5km walk back to gear? 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.