You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2020 3:24 pm  #1

Change Fees

Is there a fee to add people to a backcountry reservation?

For a trip this summer, I was thinking of making it under 1 person and then adding the right number of people a few days before. It seems it would also be cheaper if I had to cancel last minute.

I take it that this might be a common practice for the old pros on these boards, but maybe there are reasons not to do this.

Thanks

4/15/2020 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Change Fees

edit: had wrong info

Last edited by trippythings (4/15/2020 5:10 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/15/2020 5:07 pm  #3

Under the new reservation system, you pay full price for your party instead of the previous deposit with payment at the permit office system.

You would be able to add members of your party at the office if needed, or update your reservation online within a few days of the existing trip.

And to answer the original question, the only fee would be the cost of the extra person(s) on the reso.

Last edited by TripperMike (4/15/2020 5:08 pm)

4/15/2020 5:10 pm  #4

TripperMike wrote:

Under the new reservation system, you pay full price for your party instead of the previous deposit with payment at the permit office system.

You would be able to add members of your party at the office if needed, or update your reservation online within a few days of the existing trip.

And to answer the original question, the only fee would be the cost of the extra person(s) on the reso.

Oh wow so it would make sense to just make reservations for 1 person then pay the difference when you arrive, instead of paying more $$ upfront

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/15/2020 5:42 pm  #5

I’ve always just made reservation for 1 and then added the family/friend when I got to the park.

4/15/2020 6:41 pm  #6

Yeah, you’ve always been able to just add people to a permit as long as your are not exceeding the 9 person max.  I’ve literally convinced someone to join a trip the night before while staying in a lodge outside the access point and had no issue adding them to the permit The next morning.

The new system is designed to bring money in faster and has tiered cancellation fees, rather than just losing your deposit.  This system is also inline with the parks that are now allowing at home printing of your permits.

So yes it makes sense to book a trip for 1, and add your partners to it as they develop - or when you arrive.  But if you’re looking for minimal hassle and permit desk time, it’s a good time saver.  Here’s hoping APP adopts the print at home for back country this year.

4/15/2020 8:11 pm  #7

I suspect print at home may be forced on APP which I think we all support.

4/23/2020 3:44 pm  #8

Here's a separate question... Somewhat unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Does the backcountry pass give the users access to any of the car camping facilities? It'd be nice to use the showers in some of the campgrounds before heading home.

In the Adirondacks where I usually camp, we'll often pay the day use fee in a developed campground after coming out of the backcountry, just to use the showers. The long ride home is SO much nicer.

4/23/2020 4:19 pm  #9

I believe it gives you access to those facilities. We were explicitly welcomed to use the front country showers at Quetico after our canoe trip (from a separate access point).

4/23/2020 5:17 pm  #10

JoeScmoe wrote:

Here's a separate question... Somewhat unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Does the backcountry pass give the users access to any of the car camping facilities? It'd be nice to use the showers in some of the campgrounds before heading home.

In the Adirondacks where I usually camp, we'll often pay the day use fee in a developed campground after coming out of the backcountry, just to use the showers. The long ride home is SO much nicer.

I think you're permitted to use the park and park facilities until 10:00pm on your last day.  I've used a shower at a front country campground before with no problems. 

4/23/2020 5:21 pm  #11

JoeScmoe wrote:

To the best of my knowledge a valid camping permit, interior or developed is good as a day pass in any Ontario Park and expires at 10PM.
So the day you leave your permit is still valid and you can use it to grab a shower. When coming out of the West side we have stopped in Arrowhead a few times for a shower and never had a problem, and yes the Warden glanced at my permit as we were chatting.
Now the looks you get from the trailer crowd when you get out of the car after a 10 day trip is priceless. Especially if they are down wind.

4/23/2020 8:11 pm  #12

Ok, thanks everyone! I just realized there's no showers at Brent so if we go there as tentatively planned (very tentatively) we may have to do the Arrowhead suggestion.

4/23/2020 8:56 pm  #13

Coming out from Brent you can clean up at Samuel de Champlain outside of Mattawa or going the other way Driftwood in Stonecliffe. You have a Provincial Park pass so it shouldn't be an issue.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.