You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2020 11:35 am  #1

First trip post lockdown

I don’t know when we’re going to be able to get back to the Park, but I do know I’m spending a ton of time day dreaming about my first trip. Right now I’m torn between a loop out of Kiosk and one out of North River. Assuming we’re able to get back in good time, what do people’s ideal first trips look like this year?

Last edited by AlgonquinLakes (4/18/2020 11:36 am)

4/18/2020 11:45 am  #2

Re: First trip post lockdown

For me a big part will be how confident I am doing a long trip / going deep into the interior, based on the state of the virus. If things are still a bit sketchy I'd probably go to North Tea for a few days or something since I've still never camped there.

If things look optimistic and I'm not so concerned, I'd like to spend a week or so looping around the north of the park since I've only been through the north once. I was looking at a few route options, one from Kiosk and one from Cedar, but then basically pushed pause on my planning.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/18/2020 1:12 pm  #3

The guys and I are talking about a loop out of Cedar if they relax the social distancing thing. As well, I'm hoping to get the family out to Pen for an easy 2-3 day jaunt.

4/18/2020 1:35 pm  #4

Well, my May trip will be cancelled this year like many others are.  My next set of vacation days is in August.  If so I'll probably take my son hoping for a 10 day loop out of Cedar.

4/19/2020 11:14 am  #5

I had some car camping dates booked at Kiosk to help introduce my stepson and his girlfriend to the park at the end of July. Fingers crossed. If it turns out the park opens later it might end up as a couple of days on Tim lake or a short (ish) hike on the Western Uplands trail

4/19/2020 11:44 am  #6

Looking at some type of fall back-country trip with my dad.  As you all know we've been tripping and camping together since I was very little.  He got diagnosed with cancer last year and hasn't been able to get away for a year and a half now so he (and I) are totally itching to get back out in the park together.  Our trip style has changed due to health reasons but we'll still be looking for an "easy" back country trip somewhere likely in October (fingers crossed!).  Maybe Tim Lake, Rain Lake or something like that...

4/19/2020 1:14 pm  #7

I was hoping to do another canoe trip (which is rare for me as I typically hike) with my wife and best friend; I was just about to call Algonquin Outfitters to coordinate a trip out of Cedar but then everything imploded. Fingers crossed July may still be possible, and if so doing a loop through Cauchon, Club/Mouse, Osler, Nadine and down the Nippissing back to Cedar. Our last canoe trip was 3 years ago from Round through North Tea, Lorne, Fassett, Manitou and back. Amazing trip and yearning to get back in a canoe ever since! 

Steve, that's so awesome that you've spent so many years tripping with your dad and I especially hope things work out for you guys!

Cheers,
Rich

4/19/2020 9:28 pm  #8

Good idea AlgonquinLakes - much better than us all lamenting the fact the Park is closed ATM...

I had 3 trips planned.
Mid-May - Fishing and Wildlife trip with my wife/dog from Access #3. Night One - Ralph Bice; Night Two - Little Trout Lake; Night Three - Daisy Lake
Late July/Early August - Annual Guys Trip - 5 day loop out of Cedar. Night One - Catfish; Night Two/Three Burntroot; Night Four - WhiskeyJack or High Falls on the Nip; Night 5 - Plumb Creek Junction.
Early Fall/Late Sept Group Trip - Either Ragged or Pen Lakes. Usually 2 to 3 nights dependent on weather and how many in the group.

My guess is trip #1 is cancelled. I really hoping trip #2 is a go because that's all new areas to my guys and I.

As a geologist I can't believe I hadn't heard about the Brent Crater until the markinthepark series! I'm definitely looking forward to that.

4/20/2020 6:25 am  #9

@geologicaldust - if you haven't checked it out, you should see some of Bob & Diana McElroy's Bush Log.  They've got a keen eye for all things natural including geological observations.
https://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/geology-contents.html

Our trip is planned this year for mid-August around the new moon and I'm hopeful that we still have the opportunity to go.  Five nights base camping on Booth's Lake - day trips, fishing, swimming, star-gazing, game-playing, etc.  I'm optimistic that we'll be able to do it but won't start de-hydrating until July or when re-open notifications come through.

4/20/2020 12:14 pm  #10

I had an interesting trip planned for mid May that I assume is cancelled. 

Heading in at Tim Lake and down the nip, staying at both Highview cabin and Birchcliffe cabins along the way.  Tackling Birchcliffe creek out to North Tea, and exiting through Kawaywaymog. 

We'd planned to drop one car at Kawaywaymog and get canoes from Bob at Swift on our way to Tim Lake.  I haven't stayed at a ranger cabin before, only visited a few quickly.  This trip was planned around fishing some brookies and exploring new areas like the upper Nip and potentially bypassing some portages in high water. 

Oh well.  I have a 9 day fall loop in the works right now, either out of Cedar into Radiant and down the Pet to Lavielle, Big Crow,  Burntroot, Catfish etc....  Or leave from Ope and go through Hogan, Burntroot, Radiant and then into the same loop, potentially doing White Partridge Cr. and finally walking the Dickson Bonfield portage.  Both have their pros and cons but Cedar is twice the driving distance than Ope. 

Last edited by TripperMike (4/20/2020 12:15 pm)

4/20/2020 12:46 pm  #11

I route I've wanted to take for a couple of years. 
Day 1 = Magnetawan - Mubwayaka
Day 2 = Mubwayaka - Rosebary
Day 3 = Rosebary down the Tim to Queer/Little Trout
Day 4 = Little Trout - out.

Seems like the right amount of challenge for me.  A river crossing on the carry from David Creek to Rosebary will provide a match of wits that I will probably not win.  A lengthy paddle day down the endless S-curve Tim, during which I want to count just  how many beaver dams I cross, concluding with an uphill nasty (so I am told) to Queer and then a "can-I-finally-be-there?" paddle to Little Trout.  Then a get-out-of here crossing (into a strong westerly wind) of Ralph Bice.

Last Fall I had to cancel that trip on account of no water.  This Spring I had to cancel because of no park.  I'm concerned that this Fall the cancellation might be due to no border.  If that comes to pass, and I have to go a third year waiting for this route....watch the weather be unseasonably sleety for four consecutive days when I finally do get to do it.

4/20/2020 1:42 pm  #12

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

Seems like the right amount of challenge for me.  A river crossing on the carry from David Creek to Rosebary will provide a match of wits that I will probably not win.  A lengthy paddle day down the endless S-curve Tim, during which I want to count just  how many beaver dams I cross, concluding with an uphill nasty (so I am told) to Queer and then a "can-I-finally-be-there?" paddle to Little Trout.  Then a get-out-of here crossing (into a strong westerly wind) of Ralph Bice.

Last Fall I had to cancel that trip on account of no water.  This Spring I had to cancel because of no park.  I'm concerned that this Fall the cancellation might be due to no border.  If that comes to pass, and I have to go a third year waiting for this route....watch the weather be unseasonably sleety for four consecutive days when I finally do get to do it.

I went from Queer into the Tim last Sept, the nasty uphill you speak of is right at the start of the portage coming from the rivers side.  It's steep and won't be great, but the remainder of the portage (as I recall) will be mostly downhill for you.  I will say that it was not my favourite portage I've ever done, and doing it either way is going to be tough. 

4/20/2020 3:23 pm  #13

Yaaaaaaaaay........

4/20/2020 5:27 pm  #14

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

We once tried the route from Mubwayaka to Rosemary and David Creek turned into a tiny six inch wide streamlet well before the portage. We turned back and went another way. I’ve heard that it have been possible to to push past to where you could paddle but we weren’t risking going deeper into the weeds. Good luck!

4/20/2020 5:55 pm  #15

I haven't given up on a spring trip. Planning a 9 day loop out of Cedar starting May 16th. I'm 50/50 that it will still happen.

4/20/2020 9:59 pm  #16

MooseWhizzer Dave wrote:

...concluding with an uphill nasty (so I am told) to Queer

There are definitely worse portages, on the bright side. Don't overlook the small set of falls on the Tim that necessitates the Tim to Tim portage at this junction. Nice to have a dip in if you feel so inclined and the water levels aren't super low.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.