You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2020 7:06 pm  #18

Re: Solo or Tandem Canoe?

Steve E wrote:

Shawn I meant to ask you how you are liking your boat?  Did you get it out much this past year?

Very happy with my H2O boat  Steve. The Brute Force layup is likely perfect for you. Pretty tough without being crazy heavy. I’m just not sure if any of their solo boats fit how you trip and I have never paddled any of them. Like you say above if you can rent one first that would be a good idea.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/13/2020 7:08 pm  #19

Ya I really liked your boat when you sent me all that info.  I'm so torn.  I honestly envision many solo trips but also many years of tandem trips with my son over the years.  I tend to lean towards the versatility of the tandem boat with the realization that it might be a bit tougher to paddle on solo trips.  I'm gonna have another look at the H20's as well.  Did you put it through some decent tests?

4/13/2020 7:21 pm  #20

Sure did Steve.  First trip was around an unmaintained loop.

Lots of beaver dams, swifts,  low water dragging.

Full loop can be viewed in this YouTube series to give you an idea. Great watch too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-9arJf3PA&feature=share

Also the IXP layup I mentioned earlier is probably tougher than the Brute Force Here it is on a WW solo

https://youtu.be/-qH5osnLHhc

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/13/2020 7:31 pm  #21

Wow that's a nice looking route!  Bit of a hump to get that far north eh? lol...

Glad to hear you're happy with the H20!

4/13/2020 7:31 pm  #22

Steve E wrote:

I'm gonna have another look at the H20's as well.  Did you put it through some decent tests?

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but the H2O pics I sent in my last message were from a trip with really low water levels in the Petawawa and some big beaver dams on route. It wasn't a brutal test but it definitely took a bit of a beating. Got some decent scratches on the bottom but otherwise held up really well. Was only a week long trip though so obviously different than the continuous beating a boat would take over its lifetime.

Also I figured renting or test paddling was going to be a given once you had it narrowed down to a few options  wouldn't be great if you bought something that just didn't work for your needs for whatever reason. 

Last edited by trippythings (4/13/2020 7:32 pm)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/13/2020 7:47 pm  #23

Sounds like you gave it a pretty good go.  The Pet would be a perfect example of the types of tripping I do (although I don't do much white water anymore).  I think I also need to get my head around the fact that I'll likely need to take a bit better care of whatever canoe I end up getting.  My Old Town has literally stayed outside in the backyard without anything covering it for 25+ years.  I've never done repairs on the hull (have replaced broken thwarts and re-rivited the gunwales but literally that's it.  I put 0 effort into maintaining it or babying while tripping.  I realize that's not a realistic way to take care of a boat lol...

My main concern is the rivets are starting to pop again on gunwales on the the bow and stern so I'm always nervous when driving!

4/14/2020 5:38 pm  #24

I own a 16ft Swift Keewaydin Combi, which was my answer to the tandem or solo question. This is a new canoe from Swift that allows the seating to be reconfigured depending on your needs. It has traditional tandem seating, which can be removed  with a screwdriver. It also has a quick release center seat and detachable yoke for solo trips. The center seat has 2 height positions. It has a nice tumblehome which makes it easy to use a kayak paddle when soloing. Mine has a skin coat only, no gel coat and weights 38 pounds. This is essentially a solo, tandem and 3 seater all in one. The versatility of this boat is really hard to match.

4/14/2020 6:26 pm  #25

Unless you are buying 2 new canoes I think Gochay has the right idea. You should look into getting a smaller tandem that you can solo. You don't pack light and I don't think you are interested in putting in long portage filled days or running big white water.

I think you should look at the 15' Novacraft Prospector or Novacraft Pal (an underated boat). Souris River Prospector 16. The Northstar Polaris is just about the perfect all round boat. A bit more performance oriented and it will cost you. Hemlock Eaglet is another good one to look at.

If you are still considering a solo I don't think a small twitchy boat will be right for you. The Swift Kee 15 could work. Swift Osprey/Shearwater might be better for river use. Northstar Phoenix is great. I'm not a fan of the H20 Solo 15. The H20 Prospector 14/10 is a much better canoe, particularly if you see yourself on a river.

Of course the real answer is you need a lake tandem, a river tandem, a lake solo, a river solo, a playboat, a kayak and a wood canvas Chestnut.

Good luck!

4/14/2020 7:08 pm  #26

MartinG wrote:

Of course the real answer is you need a lake tandem, a river tandem, a lake solo, a river solo, a playboat, a kayak and a wood canvas Chestnut

A bigger regret in recent memory is not buying a house with a 3rd garage bay. I’m not even halfway there and I can’t fit anymore in there. :-(

My only questions I would have on some other boats mentioned  Steve would be:

For the Swift boats.. do they make a layup tough enough for you? Sounds like you work your boat really hard. Love Swift boats but they aren’t known for their durability.

And 2.. a small tandem is a clear option but it also sounds like you pack quite heavy. Could you get 2 people and all your gear is a smaller tandem for an extended trip. ?  If you think you could ...bingo.

4/14/2020 7:27 pm  #27

ShawnD wrote:

.. a small tandem is a clear option but it also sounds like you pack quite heavy. Could you get 2 people and all your gear is a smaller tandem for an extended trip. ?  If you think you could ...bingo.

I forgot about all that camera gear you carry. I think you should get this

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canot-kayak-paddle-board/laval-rive-nord/canoe-freighter-21-feet/1496064721

4/14/2020 8:56 pm  #28

MartinG wrote:

ShawnD wrote:

.. a small tandem is a clear option but it also sounds like you pack quite heavy. Could you get 2 people and all your gear is a smaller tandem for an extended trip. ? If you think you could ...bingo.

I forgot about all that camera gear you carry. I think you should get this

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canot-kayak-paddle-board/laval-rive-nord/canoe-freighter-21-feet/1496064721

That is just too tempting. Probably a good thing right now they would turn me back at the Quebec border.

4/15/2020 9:46 am  #29

Lol that thing is still probably lighter than my Old Town!

Again, thanks for all the tips, suggestions and insights everyone!  I appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.