You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2020 8:46 am  #1

WIA 343

Where exactly is this.

3/26/2020 9:44 am  #2

Re: WIA 343

Gee Martin. I'm thinking about adding a rule prohibiting drone shots, given that they are a NO-NO in the park. Or are you using a screen-capture from a satellite image? Either way, the overhead perspective is definitely hard for us to relate to. If you want to resubmit a "human-perspective" image, maybe that would be better?

3/26/2020 10:22 am  #3

There is reason to my madness Barry. The picture stands. And no it is NOT a drone shot. Just waiting for a guess.

Last edited by MartinG (3/26/2020 10:23 am)

3/26/2020 10:40 am  #4

Here I'll give it a go. My guess is Island on Cedar lake, the island with the camp site on the tip on Jeff's Map.
I also agree with Berry, most of us don't have this prospective when we're sitting in a canoe. 

3/26/2020 11:20 am  #5

Good guess Koko61! But no that is not the spot. 

3/26/2020 11:22 am  #6

ZOOMED OUT 1 STEP

This is not a drone shot. The image is provided by Land Information Ontario. While I can't be exactly sure when this particular photograph was taken I think it is part of five-year strategy (2013-2017) to acquire 20 cm resolution, leaf-off imagery across the province. The Algonquin Orthophotography was acquired in the spring of 2015 under the best conditions possible to achieve cloud free, snow free, ice free, smoke free, and leaf off captures. https://geohub.lio.gov.on.ca/datasets/algonquin-2015-orthophotography 

In the centre of this image is a campsite. While it is not a particularly great site, I loved it because of the experience I had while I was there. In the end isn't that why we all remember certain sites?

3/26/2020 12:21 pm  #7

Just an interjection here. I've just amended the forum Terms of Service - Expectation #2. For now, this particular WIA can run its course. I simply don't want the WIAs' ongoing perspectives to leave terra-firma or 'aqua-firma'.

2) The "Where In Algonquin" threads, in which the location of where a photo was taken is guessed, offer enjoyable entertainment on the forum. Please try to pick a photo that has either a recognizable feature or some sort of visual "indicator" from which some "deductions" can be guessed at. In other words, "Not too hard or frustrating." (After WIA #343, no aerial [drone, satellite, fly-over, etc.] images will be allowed in the WIA threads.)

3/26/2020 12:29 pm  #8

Barry I'm just mixing it up. Making it fun. Something different. No reason to implement a new rule.  

The site was on Hogan! 

3/26/2020 2:00 pm  #9

Oh man. That was my guess. That point of land on Hogan. The one with the trees and water on 3 sides.  Lol!. I enjoyed the new perspective but agree somewhat on the rule change. Way to think outisde the box though.

3/26/2020 3:03 pm  #10

I've just been told by Bryce Matthews (Mapping and Geomatics Project Manager of the Spatial Data and Support Unit / Mapping and Geomatics Services Section / Mapping and Information Resources Branch / Corporate Management and Information Division / Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry) that we "can view the imagery here and grab screenshots for your forum -  https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca/matm/Index.html?site=Make_A_Topographic_Map&viewer=MATM&locale=en-US "

So while I prefer we keep our primary WIA photos' perspectives to 'ground-level', it sure will be interesting to add supplementary aerial imagery to any of our forum postings.

Thanks to MartinG for bringing this resource to our attention. Thanks Martin!

3/27/2020 12:08 pm  #11

I submitted an aerial photo as a WIA a loooong time ago.  It was a still shot grabbed from a Canadian Canoe Culture video and it was, I believe, of St. Andrews Lake.  There were no objections at that time to the change in perspective.  I am 100% supportive of doing things differently...that's how we expand our horizons!

Here's the old thread from 2017 (and the link to the video is in the thread - it is a drone shot but I'm not sure if drones were illegal at that time):
https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1140

Last edited by PaPaddler (3/27/2020 12:15 pm)

3/27/2020 1:43 pm  #12

No problem using a non-drone aerial shot as a 'supplementary' (additional) reference. I just want the original WIA's to be of a ground-water-level photo taken by the poster. Thanks.

2) The "Where In Algonquin" threads, in which the location of where a photo was taken is guessed, offer enjoyable entertainment on the forum. Please try to pick a photo (that you took) that has either a recognizable feature or some sort of visual "indicator" from which some "deductions" can be guessed at. In other words, "Not too hard or frustrating." (After WIA #343, no aerial [drone, satellite, fly-over, etc.] images will be allowed as the primary photo of the WIA threads.)

3/28/2020 7:18 am  #13

I think we need a way forward here; these are trying times and Where in Algonquin can be a welcome diversion.

Shayne74 posted that he guessed it was Hogan.  On that basis, I would like to suggest that Shayne74 initiates WIA 344.

3/28/2020 7:26 am  #14

Been mulling over the options. If there's enough interest, we could start up a sub-forum "WhereAboveAlgonquin" or WAA .. just for screen captures from the aerial survey website. I'm not sure if there would be that much interest. Any comments?

3/28/2020 7:50 am  #15

BarryB wrote:

I'm not sure if there would be that much interest. Any comments?

At this point in isolation, you could post a picture of a blade of grass and I'd take a stab at it.

I'm down for the aerial WiA's.

Last edited by Peek (3/28/2020 7:50 am)

3/28/2020 8:26 am  #16

Staying in the house starting to get to you a bit Barry.
Nothing wrong with an aerial views.  W.I.A is the only thing keeping this forum going, why screw with the only thing generating traffic

3/28/2020 11:09 am  #17

A bit. Yesterday our town closed the parks. That's right. NO TRESSPASSING signs with the threat of fines up to $5,000. 

Just phoned the mayor and got the OK to continue my official adopt-a-park duties in my local park. I was scheduled to take burlap wraps off plantings I'd done in the fall. Sanity returned!

For now I'll await more feedback on the WIA / WAA issue.

And yes, I agree, it's all so petty compared to what the nurses, doctors and sick patients are going through.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.