You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2020 2:40 am  #1

Hammock camping in the shoulder season

Hi,

I did have a question on Hammock camping.  I was wondering in the spring and fall (early May to early October) if having an under quilt is necessary for warmth?

thanks.

3/23/2020 6:31 am  #2

Re: Hammock camping in the shoulder season

I find even in the warmer months I need something under my down sleeping bag due to the compressed feathers. I use an old thermarest for this purpose.

I'm the spring this is an absolute must. I don't know how synthetic bags perform in this scenario.

3/23/2020 8:02 am  #3

Re: Hammock camping in the shoulder season

I hammock camp all year round in Algonquin and I can assure you that even in the summer you would likely need some type of insulation under you.  I use a 20 degree underquilt in the summer and then a 0 degree underquilt in the spring and fall.  In the winter I'll combine both underquilts and that works really well.  I've used a pad as well but personally I found it a bit awkward and at times it would slip out from under me.  Underquilts are the way to go!  I would strongly suggest you get one that is a wide and long model for colder temps.  It will wrap up around you a bit and give you extra coverage where you need it...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.