You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2020 3:17 pm  #1

Across the park, East to West - route plan

I had a completely different post here that I scrapped (including the title) so if anyone's confused, that's why. I'm looking at a late-July route from Travers to Kawawaymog. I am not looking forward to the stretch between Travers and Lavieille - all those dinky portages are kayak camping hell, but I imagine I'll make do. Hopefully I can dodge a few of them by walking the river. 

As planned it would be:

Travers Lake access point
Night 1: Wagtail Raps. Travers is a long drive, I won't get far that day. 
Night 2: Lavieille: this is going to be a super slog
Night 3: Lavielle again to recover from the super slog
Night 4: Big Crow
Night 5: Robinson, or if there's another booking there and I think I might end up with the lousy site, Burntroot
Night 6: Nadine. 
Night 7: Erables. Can't wait to revisit heart attack hill
Night 8: Erables. Heart attack hill recovery. 
Night 9: Manitou
Day 10: Paddle out to the Kawawaymog access point. 

I've been on all of this route before except everything between Travers and Lavieille, and the portages between Maple and Three Mile. So anything you can tell me about either of those areas (especially in the Travers - Lavieille area any portages I can likely skip by walking the river),and just a general sanity check of the route would be appreciated. 

Also, is the A52 access point at Travers easy enough to reach in an AWD SUV? It'd let me skip a couple portages. 

Last edited by Uppa (3/04/2020 4:47 pm)

3/06/2020 9:20 pm  #2

Re: Across the park, East to West - route plan

Looks like an awesome trip. Sorry I can't contribute more.

Related question: what would be the shortest route from East side to the west side (specifically north of hwy 60, ie the wide part of the park)?

M

3/06/2020 9:48 pm  #3

@marko Magnetawan to Squirrel Raps is the shortest route. 154.6k

3/06/2020 11:22 pm  #4

Man, I love this forum. Thanks!!!

Now if someone could answer Uppa's question, I wouldn't feel so bad about hijacking the thread...

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (3/06/2020 11:22 pm)

3/07/2020 4:17 am  #5

Uppa, are you abandoning the idea of trading keys or cars for this trip?  I’m not able to do it, but I really love the idea and creativity.

If you’re  looking to exit at Kawaywaymog, have you considered taking a page out of Peeks book? He paddled past the access and travelled the South River right into town. 

Tom Thomson famously gathered supplies from south river as it was one of the only towns he could directly access by canoe.  I’m sure most of you know that, but I’ve always had a soft spot for the area because of that.

Last edited by TripperMike (3/07/2020 4:18 am)

3/07/2020 4:45 am  #6

@TripperMike: the car situation is sorted. A very kind soul who reads AA has actually offered to ride with me to Travers and then get my car to kawawaymog. So my car will be there waiting for me when I get there!

I’m carefully not naming names because July is a long time away and I don’t want him to feel pressured to follow through. If it happens, it happens.

I did get a few messages from AA’ers about the key swap plan, but none look to be panning out for this year.

3/07/2020 8:21 am  #7

Uppa wrote:

I've been on all of this route before except everything between Travers and Lavieille, and the portages between Maple and Three Mile. So anything you can tell me about either of those areas (especially in the Travers - Lavieille area any portages I can likely skip by walking the river),and just a general sanity check of the route would be appreciated. 

Also, is the A52 access point at Travers easy enough to reach in an AWD SUV? It'd let me skip a couple portages. 

You won't be able to wade much of the river between Travers and Wagtail. It's much bigger volume than what you are used to elsewhere in the park.

Things can always change but in 2017 the road to A52 was fine. You could even open the gate and drive all the way to the start of the McDonald Rapids portage if you wanted. Of course this is illegal.

3/07/2020 1:37 pm  #8

Thanks Martin. I'm not really worried about wading between Travers and Wagtail, it's the next day - WagTail to Lavieille and its 14 portages - that I'm hoping I can wade a few of the shorter ones. A 20 meter portage is just about the most annoying thing possible to a kayak camper. 

3/11/2020 12:51 pm  #9

Did the maple to 3 mile a few back.  From what I recall all were fairly flat and the only annoyance I recall was having to reload my canoe for the quick hop across Boggy.

Jeff's estimate of 3 hours was pretty accurate for me (though I didn't have to deal with a yak)

P s.  Personal opinion but I'd take the rest day on maple instead of erables.

Last edited by keg (3/11/2020 12:55 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.