You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2020 10:56 pm  #1

Advice on Northern Loop - starting at Kioshkokwi

A quick backgrounder...There are 3 of us planning a July trip in a single canoe (wife, buddy and I) and we plan to pack light to allow for single carry portages. We're pushing 50 and in pretty decent shape. Several years ago the 3 of us did a loop from Kawawaymog to Lorne, Fassett, Manitou, North Tea and out in 6 days and found it very do-able even though we were double portaging.
This year, I'm considering proposing the following:
Day 1 - Kiosk to Mouse L
Day 2 - Mouse to Skuce L
Day 3 - Skuce to Nadine L
Day 4 - Nadine to Plumb Creek Junction
Day 5 - Plum Creek to Little Cauchon
Day 6 - Back to Kiosk

Generally speaking, is this a solid plan or a recipe for soured relations? Any advice or things to consider?

Cheers!

Rich

2/15/2020 8:40 am  #2

Re: Advice on Northern Loop - starting at Kioshkokwi

If you like portaging uphill, then this is a good trip for you.  If not, then soured relations will result.

Day 1 is fine.  Day 2......Mouse to Skuce involves an uphill portage right away from Mouse.  This will be a long day trying to get to Skuce.  Day 3.....OMG,,,,my legs are killing me and why did I decide to go this way.  Yup, you will be going up heart attack hill to get to Little Osler and then uphill again to get to Nadine.  Again, a very long day.   Day 4.....if you are not too sore to carry on, then you have a downhill portage from Nadine to the Nip and on to Plumb Creek Junction....I do not see any problems here.  Day 5.....a lot of paddling with your major obstacle being Cedar Lake (if I read correctly how you are getting to Little Cauchon),  Compared to Day 3, this will be like heaven.  Day 6.....no problem and an easy day back to Kiosk  Have a good trip!  And think a lot about your Day 3.....I would definitely NEVER go up heart attack hill again in my lifetime.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/15/2020 12:58 pm  #3

Thanks Bo, your feedback is extremely valuable! It sounds like the moniker 'Heart Attack Hill' is no exaggeration...

I've done some serious reconsideration and have come up with two other less intense plans, and kind of leaning towards Option 2:

Option 1:
Day 1 - Kiosk to Mouse L
Day 2 - Mouse to Erables L
Day 3 - Erables to North Sylvia
Day 4 - North Sylvia to Manitou
Day 5 - Rest/explore day on Manitou
Day 6 - longer paddle out

Option 2 (less challenging):
Day 1 - Kiosk to Waterclear L
Day 2 - Waterclear to Big Thunder L
Day 3 - Big Thunder to Maple L
Day 4 - Rest/explore day on Maple
Day 5 - Maple to Kioshkokwi L (perhaps Wolfe Bay?)
Day 6 - short paddle out

2/15/2020 6:43 pm  #4

The original loop, especially if done in opposite direction, is totally manageable for people in decent shape. My wife and I did Nadine to Skuce in 4 hours single-carry - and we are far from being sportsmen. It's not easy, there are still some hills, but don't allow local lore to drive your decision-making process - you might regret it. Heart attack my lower back.

2/15/2020 10:14 pm  #5

I too like the sound of your original loop except I would consider going up Maple Creek on first day to stay on either Maple or Erables. That way is one hour and ten minutes shorter according to Jeff’s Map and you’ll only pass through Mink Lake once instead of twice. I’ve never been to Mink but I’ve heard that the old railway bed detracts from the experience.

Heart Attack hill may be steep but you can just take it slow. Also, Skuce to Nadine looks like a short day so you’ll have plenty of time to recover.

2/16/2020 7:45 pm  #6

Great loop! I'm with Eddy Turn, I think it might be better to do it the other way. I would also choose Erables - Maple - Maple Creek for the last bit.

2/17/2020 8:20 am  #7

Hiker 72,

Your Option 2 sounds excellent to me.  A couple of hills to climb (no big deal) and you will be going downhill all the way from Maple to Kioshkokwi.  Thunder Lake's lone campsite is an excellent one.  Maple Lake has excellent campsites, especially on the two islands upon entering from Erables.  Also, Wolfe Bay is pretty remote so I doubt you will have other canoeists around while exploring the area.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

2/18/2020 12:03 pm  #8

FWIW, last May, my 14 year old son and I (and our dog) went from Mouse to Skuce in 7 hours with double portaging. We did a loop out of Cedar.  Skuce is a pretty lake, in our opinion. We took the campsite at the eastern end of Skuce. It's not the greatest but lots of room and after a day of travelling in the rain, it cleared up so we wanted to take advantage of a couple hours of sunshine. I had originally had Erables booked but changed it to Skuce at the permit office.  I'm glad we did.  It made our next day a bit easier...

The next day we did Skuce to Nadine in about 6.5 hours, again double portaging.  My son is a beast on the portages, I am by no means an Olympic athlete but am in somewhat good shape.

Heart attack hill is definitely one of the toughest portages we have ever done...what makes it seem worse I think is the warm up portage from Skuce to Little Nadine.  Short but straight uphill for the first couple hundred meters.   However, it was all worth the effort after having Nadine to ourselves for two days.  It's a beauty!!  

Like EddyTurn, I don't allow 'local lore' to drive my decision making process.   Have not been disappointed yet...

We stayed on Maple L. a few years ago...still is one of our favourites.

Have fun!!

2/19/2020 7:24 pm  #9

Thanks to everyone for your advice and reflections I'm going to hash this all out with the other parties and see where we land in terms of how challenging we want (or don't want) our trip to be. Whatever we do, it sounds like the Kiosk starting point is a good choice!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.