You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2020 8:18 am  #1

Forum format on mobile devices?

Right now, cell phones initially show a non-graphic format of the forum, with an option in the upper-left menu to switch to the conventional graphic format of the forum. 

Among cell phone using forum users, which format is preferred? I have the option to "turn-off" the non-graphic format and the forum will load directly into its conventional graphic format.

2/12/2020 9:16 am  #2

Re: Forum format on mobile devices?

1 vote for turning off the non graphic format Barry. THX

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/12/2020 9:48 am  #3

I never noticed this option, but I always wondered this (possibly non-related) -- why do images not get resized proportionally with the actual forum content on my mobile device? 

Images (particularly in the WIA thread) get chopped off and I have to operate under Desktop version in my browser. Super annoying.

Perhaps this option you mention is the solution that I didn't know existed.

2/12/2020 10:58 am  #4

Zemantics wrote:

I never noticed this option, but I always wondered this (possibly non-related) -- why do images not get resized proportionally with the actual forum content on my mobile device? 

Images (particularly in the WIA thread) get chopped off and I have to operate under Desktop version in my browser. Super annoying.

Perhaps this option you mention is the solution that I didn't know existed.

Another option is to press and hold on the image. With iPhones at least the image should pop up and you can view the full image, along with being able to copy it and/or save to your photos. Only downside with this is once the image pops up you don’t have the ability to pinch zoom, so if you wanted to zoom in you’d need to save to photos and then zoom through there.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/12/2020 5:44 pm  #5

I also switch to the desktop format when using the forum on my phone.

Another phone issue that I would love to see fixed is the ability to stay logged in between visits.

2/12/2020 6:42 pm  #6

RCShevalier wrote:

I also switch to the desktop format when using the forum on my phone.

Another phone issue that I would love to see fixed is the ability to stay logged in between visits.

What phone do you use? Maybe it's specific to when you're using desktop format, because mine always stays logged in between visits

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/12/2020 6:58 pm  #7

Turn off the non graphic format. I find I have to constantly switch to desktop format to get posts to show the images properly.

2/13/2020 7:39 am  #8

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the desktop format is generally preferred. So, I've deactivated the non-graphic version. Will someone using a phone please verify that the desktop format is loading directly? Thanks.

2/13/2020 9:35 am  #9

Straight to desktop format on mobile for me.

2/13/2020 10:12 am  #10

Me too however I had to delete my old bookmark and reset it first. No idea why but goes straight to desktop now. Thx Barry !

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/14/2020 8:51 am  #11

I'm sure after clearing my cache it will work, but Desktop version still doesn't properly size images proportionally to the forum's width. 

This is on a Samsung Galaxy S7. Does anyone else experience this on their mobile devices? Particularly the large WIA thread's photos.

2/14/2020 11:40 am  #12

Zemantics: "Images (particularly in the WIA thread) get chopped off and I have to operate under Desktop version in my browser. Super annoying. ... I'm sure after clearing my cache it will work, but Desktop version still doesn't properly size images proportionally to the forum's width. This is on a Samsung Galaxy S7. Does anyone else experience this on their mobile devices? Particularly the large WIA thread's photos."

I've tried the desktop format of the forum on my wife's Samsung phone in both Chrome and Samsung's own browser, and the WIA photos are sized nicely to the right of the text without any cut-offs. You previously alluded to having to use the desktop format in order to avoid the 'cut-offs'?

2/15/2020 11:08 pm  #13

This first shot is a SS of WIA 324 in non desktop. There is no ability to side scroll and see the entire image. It's as though it's full resolution but with no ability to zoom in or out nor does the forum resize proportionally:
https://postimg.cc/fVZbd5VM

Here's the desktop version SS. Slightly more image shown, zero ability to zoom in or out our side scroll.

https://postimg.cc/r0tT3tDh

This is in a Samsung Galaxy S7 in the Chrome browser fully updated.

Edit: I just tried the 'Desktop format' option mentioned in this thread. Previously I'd only tried Chrome's 'Desktop site' option that I'd used for other compatibility reasons in Chrome. What's the difference between this site specific desktop version vs Chrome's interpretation of what that means?

Last edited by Zemantics (2/15/2020 11:12 pm)

2/16/2020 10:14 am  #14

Hi Zemantics

I think you're simply viewing the non-desktop (mobile format) version on a phone and then on a desktop monitor?

It looks to me like you've saved the mobile format URL and are viewing it on the two different monitors, you appear to be viewing the same "cut-off version".

Below are photos of the desktop format as viewed on a Samsung phone. Make sure you are accessing the forum by this URL .. https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com

2/23/2020 8:29 am  #15

Is it possible to access the mobile version of the site still? I actually preferred it slightly for phone use, so would use it if possible. If not, the full version is still very usable. Thx

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.