You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 10:46 pm  #1

rental canoe options

We'll be renting 3, 3-man canoes for an 8 night trip this summer-late July. Likely starting at Cedar lake spending most of the time on lakes but may go onto the Nipissing to finish a loop or just spend more time on lakes and double back.

the outfitter has 3 options listed as 18.5' "superlight" kevlar

swift 222 cruiser
swift Temagami
swift Keewaydin

I tried finding details about  each model but haven't had much luck.  Any tips on which I should reserve?  Pros/Cons of each model?  Thanks in advance!

2/12/2020 7:30 am  #2

Re: rental canoe options

I don't really have experience with those canoes. Are you getting this list from AO's website? Or are you communicating with them directly? Brent is a small remote operation. You may find you get what you get up there. I highly recommend you speak to someone directly.

2/12/2020 7:57 am  #3

They are from AO's website reservation system and when I work through the reservation process I get different canoe's available at different stores with the option to pick specific models.   I do plan on calling and speaking with them before I reserve anything.  Just wanted to be more educated about the different canoes in advance if possible. 

2/12/2020 11:32 am  #4

If you want a boat that will haul a lot of gear plus 3 people and still give you lots of leg room plus track and handle nicely with all the weight then the Temagami is the way to go.  If you're travelling with less or minimal gear and you prefer a bit more speed then I'd go with the 'leaner' Keewaydin.  Unfortunately, I can't speak to the 222 cruiser.  Hope this helps...

2/12/2020 12:44 pm  #5

Temagami is a freighter and probably what you're looking for 3 adults & gear for 8 nights. Having said that it's also very portageable. Think Swift only make them as a special order now which is why there may not be a lot of detail available.

Pro tip: make sure you cross Cedar early in the morning if weighed down as you don't want to be riding low in the water once the waves kick up.

2/12/2020 12:46 pm  #6

The 222 is a deathtrap. Scratch it from your list.

2/12/2020 2:55 pm  #7

EGB wrote:

The 222 is a deathtrap. Scratch it from your list.

Well now I'm curious...

2/13/2020 5:24 pm  #8

As a family of 3 we paddle 18.5 Keewaydin and happy with it. It's a lean fast and narrow boat with 32" mid-ship. Our 2-seat super-light kevlar model weighs about 45lbs, but of course rental fleet tends to be heavier with all repairs, skid plates and what-not.
When our son was still a toddler and required more attention, I could easily paddle Keewaydin solo from the stern, fully loaded for week-long trip. Huge change comparing to our previous 36"-wide Kipawa - and my guess Temagami is even wider, slower and more stable than that.

2/13/2020 7:41 pm  #9

We rented a 222 a few years back. It was a great boat for 3 And gear IMO. Regardless you'll wanna pack light.

Last edited by Shayne74 (2/13/2020 7:42 pm)

2/14/2020 1:09 pm  #10

I recommend you rent one 3-man canoe and 3 tandem canoes.  This is arguably your easiest configuration for gear and portaging. I personally can't imagine being part of a 3-man canoe team paddling and portaging through the Gonk. I can barely stand a tandem now that I've spent well over a decade in a solo.

2/14/2020 7:25 pm  #11

thanks for the advice on the different models.  Seems like all 3 have some positive experiences.  Since we are traveling with 3 youngsters (and 1 17 year old) we are going to stick to 3 boats for this trip.  

We are not ultra lighters but we do a good job of keeping our weight down.  I spend a lot of time planning out meals and we make sure we don't bring too much unnecessary gear.  We'll, we try at least.  I sometimes go overboard with too much fishing gear. 

Our last backpacking trip for 6 nights we easily averaged under 40 pounds per man so I think we'll be ok.

2/27/2020 12:44 pm  #12

we have 3 18.5 Keewaydin's reserved

I was told the Temagami has been phased out and Brent only has 2 three-man boats in their inventory (222's) so we had to pick up boats elsewhere anyway.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.