You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 2:57 pm  #1

Northern Loop Advice

Hi folks,

Me and my buddy are planning out our 2020 trip.  My wife was nice enough to okay a 10-day trip while she slaves away with a 9-month old, so I want to make the best of it.

We're exploring the heart of northern Algonquin this year, heading out of Kiosk:
-Kiosk to Little Cauchon
-Little Cauchon to Catfish
-REST
-Catfish to Burntroot
-REST
-Burntroot to Nadine
-REST
-Nadine to Maple
-REST
-Maple - Kiosk (out)

I know there's some long days in there (1, 2, and 8 come to mind).  I'm looking for advice on where to stay and what to see while we're in there.  We're trying to stop on lovely lakes and see parts of the park that are harder to get to.

Has anyone been on Nadine? 
What about Heart Attack Hill, are we gonna die?
Is Shangri La Island worth fighting to get to?
Has anyone seen the anchor on Burntroot recently?

General thoughts and comments?

Let me know!

Thanks,

Ian

2/11/2020 3:21 pm  #2

Re: Northern Loop Advice

Gotta say I like the 4 REST days … smart … 

2/11/2020 3:45 pm  #3

Check out my website for campsite pics of Burntroot and Maple. I haven’t been to the other lakes yet though. Take a look at Red Pine Bay as well, it might convince you to detour and check if that site is available ;)

Anchor was there in Sept 2017 when I was there.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/11/2020 4:32 pm  #4

Thanks for the advice Trippy, that's a smart looking website.  Getting me really excited for Maple and Burntroot.

2/11/2020 6:15 pm  #5

IanTendy wrote:

Hi folks,

My wife was nice enough to okay a 10-day trip while she slaves away with a 9-month old, so I want to make the best of it.

WOOHOOOO! Your wife is a treasure.

IanTendy wrote:

Has anyone been on Nadine? 
What about Heart Attack Hill, are we gonna die?
Is Shangri La Island worth fighting to get to?
Has anyone seen the anchor on Burntroot recently?

Nadine is lovely, so is Osler. Very remote feel.

Nip to Nadine is going to kill you. So is Nadine to Osler and Osler to Little Osler and little Osler to Little Nadine, and Little Nadine to Skuce. You are going to die 5 TIMES! It's all hills (actually Nadine to Osler is flattish but also long). You gotta go some time.

I think the site to the east of Shangri-la is nicer than Shangri-la. But the whole lake is getting beat down. The 2nd site from the bottom is a bit of a surprise. Looks uninviting from shore but it is huge. Good moose viewing habitat. We had a moose walk through the site when we were there.

Anchor is back in Anchor Island and bolted down.

2/12/2020 9:46 am  #6

We did Kiosk to Nadine a couple years back in a day. I recommend noting where the springs are on these portages -- you will enjoy them :-)

The one on the Nip to Nadine portage is a bit tough to find as there is a lot of "base water" around trees that doesn't look very inviting. My advice is to go by touch -- ice cold? Down the hatch! If things haven't changed, the Nip landing was the buggiest place I've ever been in APP so be ready to move LOL

Heart Attack Hill isn't so bad the direction that you're coming. I want to say that the other direction was far more steep (you'll be going downhill on that section). 

I regret not taking the time to enjoy the Oslers. They're nice lakes. For Nadine, I recommend the furthest site from the portages. Without the map in front of me, I can't comment on cardinal direction but it's got some nice rocky outcroppings. Mind you, we were hammocking. I'm not sure what the tent pads are like.

Take your time on Maple Cr. Lots of rocks. 

Enjoy! Take your time on the portages, hydrate, and look out for each other. You'll do great.

2/12/2020 11:21 am  #7

Wifey and I do 10 days each summer, with the same format - travel day, rest day, repeat.  Its fantastic - the way to go if you want a relaxing summer vacation.  We did Cedar, Burntroot, Hogan loop last August.  Stayed on Shangrila on our first night, and I gotta say, I don't see the appeal at all.  Its a solid hike to the campfire from the water, severe lack of undergrowth/non private, and ton's of biting flies in the August heat. On our way out of the loop we stayed at the site east of Shangri-la, and we thought it was a much nicer site.  Spent a whole day exploring in the back bays on the east side of Catfish which was really awesome.  We also checked out the Alligator on the north part of Catfish, which was totally worth the pitstop in the pouring rain.
The anchor on Burntroot is bolted down, and was there as of last August (2019).  Burntroot is an absolute gem of a lake.  We loved it so much we're definitely staying on it again during this years trip.  IF you stay there, Robinson and Whisky Jack make a great day trip.  Their green spring water of those lakes is very beautiful.
Have fun!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.