You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2019 11:21 am  #18

Re: Rubber Boots for tripping - any recommendations?

I'm pretty sure Trailhead in Ottawa carries the NRS footwear

4/04/2019 3:13 pm  #19

NP dontgroandaddy, this is exactly the discussion I was hoping for! I'm still not clear on how a neoprene boot like the NRS boundary boot can possibly keep one's feet dry (warm, sure)?!? Also they don't look like they'd have the support for longer portages (?). I checked out the Kamik boots mentioned (on sale at CDN Tire this week)...warm but not too high...also found them a bit boxy which makes me worry about foot movement and blisters...the Lacrosse boots (CDN Tire) look great but start at $199 (on sale as well right now)...leaning toward the Itasca boots (again, CT on sale for $99)

4/04/2019 3:43 pm  #20

pjr2013 wrote:

For those who bought the NRS shoe/boot:

1.  How do they handle on long(ish) portages 1.5-2.0 km or so)?  Do they let your feet breath?

2.  I suppose most important is the fit - I have done the online boot purchase thing before and it was a disaster.  First pair too small, second pair too large with nothing else in between.  Overall I was out duty plus 2 x shipping for the returns.

I am in the SW Ontario/London area - is there a store that carries these?  I would much prefer to try a pair on...

I found the size to be the same as the shoes/boots I already own. I was in the park May13th and it was quite warm for the time of year, the boots were a little warm but were great for stepping in the cold water. I did several portages with no issues longest one was 1300 meters double carry . They are also good in the canoe as they are flexible.  I guess if you are prone to ankle injuries they may not be for you as they lack ankle support. I live in Hamilton and bought mine online so not sure if there is a retail outlet near you.

4/04/2019 4:36 pm  #21

goneagainjon wrote:

I'm still not clear on how a neoprene boot like the NRS boundary boot can possibly keep one's feet dry (warm, sure)?!?

No, neoprene paddling boots or socks aren't about keeping your feet dry. There are neoprene rubber boots that apparently keep you dry but those aren't paddling boots. The NRS boots would be great for spring and the ones Martin linked too would be great with a dry suit if I ever get a dry suit and get to do another far north trip. 

The choice between neoprene paddling boots and rubber boots is more about price with rubber boots starting at $19.99 at Canadian Tire. But then again, I spend enough on my other gear, so...

goneagainjon wrote:

Also they don't look like they'd have the support for longer portages (?).

The are probably about as good as a pair of Keen's sandals which is what I portage in most of the time in the summer. There are portages, for example along the Petawawa, where I prefer hiking boots. Overall I would say that hiking or portaging in shoes or even Keen's is accepted much more today than it was 30 years ago. 

4/04/2019 5:05 pm  #22

We had this conversation a couple of years ago too. It turns out that some neoprene actually is waterproof. Shawn has had good experiences with the waterproof-ness of his Boundary shoe and they are advertised as being waterproof.

http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1020&p=1

Last edited by MartinG (4/04/2019 5:06 pm)

4/05/2019 6:59 pm  #23

goneagainjon wrote:

NP dontgroandaddy, this is exactly the discussion I was hoping for! I'm still not clear on how a neoprene boot like the NRS boundary boot can possibly keep one's feet dry (warm, sure)?!? Also they don't look like they'd have the support for longer portages (?). I checked out the Kamik boots mentioned (on sale at CDN Tire this week)...warm but not too high...also found them a bit boxy which makes me worry about foot movement and blisters...the Lacrosse boots (CDN Tire) look great but start at $199 (on sale as well right now)...leaning toward the Itasca boots (again, CT on sale for $99)

If you want the best spring boot for dryness and comfort on long portages, go try on a pair of BOGS.  They fit like a hiking boot and are waterproof, and my feet dont sweat in these boots.  Bar none, my favorite and most comfortable foul weather boot i own, but they are around $200.  My second favorite that i own are the Salomon Quest 4D.  These are arguably THE most comfortable hiking boots i have ever worn.  These are around $270.

I never skimp on footwear.  Take care of your feet and you'll have a more enjoyable trip, trust me.

2/11/2020 10:41 am  #24

The topic of spring footwear comes up every year about this time as people begin to plan their trips.

I have been using and have recommended the NRS Boundary boot which has worked well for me. My only issue with it was I felt the sole and support could be better for portaging. I have never had an issue with a twisted ankle to date though.

I noticed NRS has updated the boot and discontinued the previous version. They have added a gripper sole and a quick lacing system. Seems to offer better support. Will arrive at Canadian dealers next week.

Old Design

New Design

Boot Description

Purpose-built for mucky put-ins and soggy portages, the NRS Boundary Neoprene Water Boots deliver knee-high waterproofness with a super grippy, rugged sole to handle the harsh terrain favored by adventure canoeists.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

2/11/2020 2:13 pm  #25

I've used the old-style NRS pictured for a couple of cold-weather trips now.  I like them, and on both trips those boots were the only footwear I had with me.  The downsides were 1) I had to wear an insert, otherwise it is like walking on bare ground, 2) zero ankle support.  Zero.  3) with inactivity, your footies get cold.  By the end of the day, when I pop those babies off, my feet are pretty sweaty/clammy.  Sleep in different socks, but the next day, the moisture remains in the boots.  I think it is just the nature of the beast.  On the whole I like them - keeps feet dry (aside from sweat), keeps feet warm - as long as you are active.

It looks to me like the new version might have a little bit of ankle support with that strap thing coming around.  That would be pretty nice.

2/14/2020 1:58 pm  #26

I was considering rubber boots for early spring and fall trips. Someone told me to purchase stockingfoot chest waders for trips like down the nippising river. Never liked the idea of a wet foot plus i have a neoprene allergy. Was looking at knee high gortex socks with a wool sock underneath for warmth and a pair of non waterproof hikers might be a good option as well. But I have no experience with gortex socks. May sweat in them but same goes for rubber boots. I'd rather not Portage heavy loads with rubbers.

2/15/2020 11:01 pm  #27

I'm +1 on the argument of hikers over rubber boots. Even the thought of doing a 1km portage in rubbers has my feet aching.

If had great experiences with Vasque's line of goretex boots for the fit. And short of trying to swim in them, I've not had any compromise on water penetration.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.