You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/29/2019 12:13 pm  #1

Easy safe backcountry access

Looking to venture slowly into backcountry winter camping. Soon with a hot tent no more cold camping. Wondering if anybody can help me with good locations perfarbly as close as possible to an exit to my car in case the wife or me run into a problem. I have the maps but don't no the highway 60 area so if someone could help with how to find a safe close location to a exit perfarbly near standing dead wood swamp area for hot tent wood would be great. Any info would help with location scouting

11/29/2019 1:20 pm  #2

Re: Easy safe backcountry access

mew lake air field is a great spot,, 

11/30/2019 6:16 am  #3

swedish pimple wrote:

mew lake air field is a great spot,, 

I I am trying to avoid them mew lake area. Decided to just hike a little of the uplands trail or one of the other trails and just venture of one of those trails not to far.

11/30/2019 12:11 pm  #4

just remember, many of the trail parking lots are closed for the winter

11/30/2019 1:19 pm  #5

Kiosk is a good option. Minnesing trail. South Algonquin Bike Trails.

11/30/2019 7:39 pm  #6

They plow the uplands all winter

I'm just gone Fishin!

11/30/2019 8:39 pm  #7

Splakin wrote:

They plow the uplands all winter

I thought I saw that as well it gets plowed.. so I should be able to snow shoe in a couple hundred meters of that trail and do a trial run with new hot tent.

12/03/2019 12:04 pm  #8

You can totally do that.  It's a great way to experience the back country in the winter but still be somewhat accessible to your vehicle.  

12/05/2019 1:47 pm  #9

Steve E wrote:

You can totally do that.  It's a great way to experience the back country in the winter but still be somewhat accessible to your vehicle.  

Do you think you would need snow shoes at this point? I was thinking of heading up next Saturday, (the 14th), but not sure if I'd need snowshoes. 

12/06/2019 9:44 am  #10

Hi Andrewr0520! You can check this prior to leaving. On the "snow on the ground" graph. Just put your cursor over the latest day, it will show you how many cm they have. Gives you an idea anyway. 

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/algonquin-park-weather.php#snow

I'm just gone Fishin!

12/13/2019 9:21 am  #11

I would strongly recommend Mew Lake airfield. You have the backup of Mew Lake campground, but you're in the backcountry. 

I would not do uplands in the winter. The uplands is quite hilly, and it may not be a big deal in the summer. Come winter, you have a lot more gear, the trail is more difficult and more slippery. Even a small hill becomes a slog. 

If you haven't winter camped before, I'd go with Mew Lake.

The other options are:
- Minnesing Trail 
- Sunday Lake dog sledding trails

Both of these have established trails. You'll see some people on the Minnesing trail, but Sunday Lake is likely going to be free of humans (too early for dog sledding). The Sunday Lake trails are basically logging roads. You'll need to find your own camping spots, so it's a bit more challenging overall. 

The options open up in later winter (i.e. late January to March) as the lakes become passable. Kiosk up Ausauble to NTL is a riot, but expect deep powder. The real backcountry trips are not beginner trips. 

Cheers
Marko

M

12/13/2019 10:26 am  #12

Marko_Mrko wrote:

I would strongly recommend Mew Lake airfield. You have the backup of Mew Lake campground, but you're in the backcountry. 

I would not do uplands in the winter. The uplands is quite hilly, and it may not be a big deal in the summer. Come winter, you have a lot more gear, the trail is more difficult and more slippery. Even a small hill becomes a slog. 

If you haven't winter camped before, I'd go with Mew Lake.

The other options are:
- Minnesing Trail 
- Sunday Lake dog sledding trails

Both of these have established trails. You'll see some people on the Minnesing trail, but Sunday Lake is likely going to be free of humans (too early for dog sledding). The Sunday Lake trails are basically logging roads. You'll need to find your own camping spots, so it's a bit more challenging overall. 

The options open up in later winter (i.e. late January to March) as the lakes become passable. Kiosk up Ausauble to NTL is a riot, but expect deep powder. The real backcountry trips are not beginner trips. 

Cheers
Marko

M

Il look up the Sunday trail. I've cold camp on minnising and mew. Was looking for other options similar. Going to do some scouting this weekend. Thanks for reply and advice

12/23/2019 3:15 pm  #13

Have you considered Costello Creek Lookout Trail? I heard that the park plows the road (the one from 60 to Opeongo) up to the trail head so I imagine that you could park there. Then you should be able to take the trail in a ways, perhaps continue down the logging road if you want, and find a spot to camp. I would think that offers something a little more remote than Mew Lake but should still be easy to get back to the car. Hopefully somebody can comment on the feasibility of this. I was thinking that I may do this next year for my first winter camping experience. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.