You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2019 4:57 pm  #1

Western Uplands

Looking for info on Western Uplands backpacking trail specifically typical conditions for mid to late November. Hard to predict, I know but doing gear prep now.

Also any advice on best camps?  Specifically in the loop above Oxtongue.
Going in for 2 nights.

Thanks.

10/30/2019 11:10 am  #2

Re: Western Uplands

Just googleing "emsdale ontario climate" gives some nice graphs on average temperature, daylight, and precipitation for a nearby community that will be mostly representative of what to expect on the WUT. I would just prepare for the worst cold, rain, mud, and snow that you might expect and then a couple of days before your trip you can look at a more reliable forecast and adjust your gear accordingly. 

10/30/2019 2:21 pm  #3

I second what solos says. I've encountered -20 the end of Nov before, when they weren't calling for it. Hiking most the day is one thing but sleeping is another in cold weather. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

10/30/2019 4:45 pm  #4

Thanks for the info!

Always hope for the best and prepare for anything.

11/02/2019 11:15 am  #5

Yes, definitely agree with solos. I've been surprised several times in Algonquin weather-wise and I've made the mistake of using an air pad not rated for cold weather - it makes for a tough sleep. I always bring a folding saw with me and find good maple dead fall to have a nice warm fire. As for sites, are you looking at the southern loop by Highway 60?

11/02/2019 3:56 pm  #6

One luxury item I’m bringing in is a sheep skin blanket to go under me. Guaranteed warmth.

Going in thru Rain.

11/02/2019 8:33 pm  #7

cls wrote:

One luxury item I’m bringing in is a sheep skin blanket to go under me. Guaranteed warmth. .

I recently bought a Thermarest 3D Mondo King as a luxury item. I think it will serve me well for my planned foray into winter backcountry camping ... maybe a pre ice out trip next year. Enough room for the dog to snuggle up to me to keep me warm.

Last edited by solos (11/02/2019 8:35 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.