You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2019 3:55 pm  #1

Summer 2020 - 7 Day Opeongo Loop

Good afternoon all,
As I sit here at work... I can't help but gander at my Algonquin Map to see where I should head next year. I have been adding all of the trips to date on this map, and there is one gaping hole right in the middle of the park.

So without further ado.. 7 day loop from Opeongo with 1-3 other people.

I have never paddled Opeongo, and I would like to perform a fairly long and arduous loop in this area. I have been to Big Crow and down the Crow River before, on our way to Radiant, and I would love to head back there. In order to complete this loop, and enjoy another interior cabin, we will then head south using mostly our feet it seems, to the McKaskill cabin.  Then working our way back west to the east side of Opeongo and out.

With the length of these days (we are not opposed to lots of travel or difficulty apparently) we would likely be performing this interior "hiking" trip in the summer for extra daylight.

Day #1: Opeongo Access Point to Big Crow Lake (27.8 KM total, 1.4 KM Portaging)
Day #2: Big Crow to Lake Lavieille as far south as the bloom allows ! (26.7 Km total, 2.5 KM portaging)
Day #3: Lake Lavieille to McKaskill Lake Cabin (25 KM total, 6.2 KM portaging) YIKES! 
Day #4 :Rest day at McKaskill Cabin
Day #5: McKaskill Lake to Tattler Lake (24 KM, 4.5 KM portaging) 
Day #6: Tattler Lake to Opeongo Lake (East Narrows) (17.5 KM total, 2.4 KM portaging)
Day #7: Opeongo Lake East to Opeongo Access Point (9.5 KM total)

Day 2 is a repeat of a section I have already traveled, as well as Shirley through Tattler but everything else will be brand new to myself and the boys... I would love to hear some feed back on the rest of the loop!

Thanks in advance,

10/22/2019 4:42 pm  #2

Re: Summer 2020 - 7 Day Opeongo Loop

I did that loop in Spring 2016 and wrote a TR
https://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=5217#p5217

Also a video:

10/22/2019 4:48 pm  #3

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

10/23/2019 8:00 pm  #4

@MartinG: Watching the video I'm confused about your strokes. They look effortless and fluent, but why use bent-shaft to do a J? (Unless all other paddles are broken). My understanding is that the whole idea of a bent-shaft is that strokes end at your hip. Short paddle is also very comfortable for sit-and-switch technique, which in my experience requires less exertion than the J and propels the boat faster.

10/23/2019 11:15 pm  #5

@EddyTurn, It's not based on theory. Just where I ended up.

I have a bunch of paddles. That is a 51" Foxworx FFG. It is my favourite paddle for that canoe. Is it the bend? Length? Weight? Surface area? All of the above? I think the bend plays a minor role. It fits along with the other factors into my preferred solo technique. Plus it is wood. The wood is just nice.

I try to stop my power phase before my hip. The paddle blade floats up and past my hip; lower hand stops on the gunnel at the hip; the paddle shaft then rolls on the gunnel more or less above the front seat hanger bolt as part of an in-water retrieve. Except when I am getting up to speed, fighting wind, or changing course this is pretty much what I naturally do at cruising speed. It feels effortless.

It is almost always on the left. Terrible habit I know. Except in white water, I pretty much never paddle on the right. There is also a fishing rod sometimes tucked under my left leg and stuck out the right side of the boat. It gets in the way of switching sides.

I will not win many races but I can keep up with most tandems. I am very comfortable paddling this way pretty much indefinitely.

10/24/2019 6:18 am  #6

Nice sized bruin in that piece...and several interesting reflective light shots.

10/24/2019 9:16 am  #7

Not to hijack the thread but good report!   I know I can likely find older TRs with a search but it is kind of like coming across an old camping photo, slightly unexpected and then you take the time to look at the whole trip.  Unfortunately the pictures weren't showing up for me but sounds like they were for PaPaddler.  

Pics are back 

Last edited by GordK (10/25/2019 11:30 am)

10/24/2019 12:36 pm  #8

I'm not seeing the photos now either.

Initially, all I see is very long links to "Google Content". And when I've signed into my Google account, all I see are large blank areas with small white circles with a white 'dash' inside.

Does anyone have insight as to what's happening? 

10/24/2019 9:00 pm  #9

MartinG wrote:

I did that loop in Spring 2016 and wrote a TR...

So I'm not the only one that uses Patrick Watson in my videos! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BZWFfDqWZM&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlY9oFXF6gc

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

10/24/2019 11:36 pm  #10

EddyTurn wrote:

... sit-and-switch technique, which in my experience requires less exertion than the J and propels the boat faster.

I was beginning to think that I was the only person doing this! Tried J strokes but it just seemed so slow and inefficient. Recently tried a double bladed paddle and it feels faster, but not all that much faster. When I take the double out on a solo trip I’ll have to measure the difference. But I think I have a strong affection for my wooden canoe paddle, using the sit and switch.

10/24/2019 11:37 pm  #11

Last edited by solos (10/24/2019 11:38 pm)

10/25/2019 5:03 am  #12

trippythings wrote:

MartinG wrote:

HAH! I noticed that too. Nice videos.

Evan, sorry for the Hijack. If you move your plans up to the spring there is some pretty good fishing along that route.

10/30/2019 9:33 pm  #13

MartinG wrote:

trippythings wrote:

MartinG wrote:

HAH! I noticed that too. Nice videos.

Evan, sorry for the Hijack. If you move your plans up to the spring there is some pretty good fishing along that route.

No worries! We are considering this as a spring trip, especially with the cabin involved it is always nice to get the cabin toasty and get out of the elements in the spring, however work schedules may not allow it! Only time will tell.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.