You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2019 9:35 am  #1

Late Fall Back-Country Permits - How and Where?

We're heading into the Basin Lake area late October and I'm just wondering how and where we would get our permit?  I thought I recalled hearing that you could call in and pay for the permit and then just write the permit number on a piece of paper and leave that on your dashboard...is this true?

Thanks!

8/17/2019 9:49 am  #2

Re: Late Fall Back-Country Permits - How and Where?

I wish we were able to do that during the summer months. Or a print-at-home permit. I hate needing to wait until the permit office opens before I can get on the water. 

But sorry I don't actually have an answer to your question, I just know that reservations for backcountry aren't available online after Thanksgiving, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/17/2019 11:32 am  #3

East or West gate and if that is not convenient then you can call them and pay over the phone by credit card your day of entry and they will give you a permit number to display on your dash. Oh I believe the office opens at 9.

8/17/2019 1:49 pm  #4

Rob wrote:

East or West gate and if that is not convenient then you can call them and pay over the phone by credit card your day of entry and they will give you a permit number to display on your dash. Oh I believe the office opens at 9.

Sorry Rob are you saying I have to call on the same day that I'm arriving?  Or can I call a day or so in advance?

Thanks again

8/17/2019 2:30 pm  #5

Same day. But if you are driving along 60 I would just stop and get it at the East Gate.

Last edited by MartinG (8/17/2019 2:31 pm)

8/17/2019 5:07 pm  #6

Hmmm ok we don't typically go that route and would be at the put-in before 9am....wonder if they'd do it the day before?

Actually I just looked on Google maps and going through the park would only add 15 minutes to our drive...might be best to do that I guess...

Last edited by Steve E (8/17/2019 5:09 pm)

8/17/2019 6:12 pm  #7

Absurd that you can’t get your permit the night before.

8/17/2019 8:13 pm  #8

Hey Steve,

When I go in the little-used access points, I book online, then call the East Gate to check in. They will give you a confirmation number over the phone. You write it down, leave a copy on the dashboard and keep a copy with you (add the dates too).

The number is 613-637-2780 ext 312

Some access points like #14, it's insane to have to drive 90 min to West Gate.

Have fun!!

Cheers
Marko

8/17/2019 8:54 pm  #9

If there is just 1 Or 2 Of you and you want an early start, you can call in the day before and just eat the cost of the extra night.

8/17/2019 11:07 pm  #10

Thanks guys...just me and my dad going so maybe not a bad idea to eat the cost of one extra night and just book it the day before...

Thanks for the number Marko that's super helpful!

8/18/2019 6:31 am  #11

Rob wrote:

If there is just 1 Or 2 Of you and you want an early start, you can call in the day before and just eat the cost of the extra night.

Last time we booked a room at a motel in Whitney. I've considered staying on a campground for the night, too.

8/19/2019 11:33 am  #12

Rob wrote:

Maybe make the best of it and book the first night on one of the sites near the put in?

8/21/2019 10:02 am  #13

It is an option, sometimes a pain to deal with. I live on the road that leads to Hollow River / Dividing lake access for algonquin park, meaning 15 mins I could drive to the parking lot access. However to get permits, I would techincally have to drive all the way to Canoe lake permit office like an hour in the wrong direction. Over the years of calling and pleading my case to the East Gate office, they quite often issue me a permit and get me to write a # down for the dash and to carry with. Just a thought.

8/21/2019 1:18 pm  #14

ryanmorin wrote:

It is an option, sometimes a pain to deal with. I live on the road that leads to Hollow River / Dividing lake access for algonquin park, meaning 15 mins I could drive to the parking lot access. However to get permits, I would techincally have to drive all the way to Canoe lake permit office like an hour in the wrong direction. Over the years of calling and pleading my case to the East Gate office, they quite often issue me a permit and get me to write a # down for the dash and to carry with. Just a thought.

Perhaps all your pleading inspired the park to make calling in the permit a standard practice for access 14. From the FOAP Website:
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/hollow-river-dividing-lake-access-point.php

It says:

Please call 613 637-2780 extension 229 for permits and information, or stop by the East Gateduring posted business hours

This is a different extension then posted above:

Marko_Mrko wrote:

... The number is 613-637-2780 ext 312 ...

I think I remember calling extension 312 in the past so perhaps they updated it. It would be nice if the park automated issuing permits, at least for anybody who has previously obtained a permit the regular way.

8/21/2019 7:00 pm  #15

I frequently (once or twice a year) called in my permits for east side locations. It used to be Kevin who took care of me with never a hassle. I think he moved on to Arrowhead. This spring we were parking a vehicle at Kingscote and getting our permit from Kiosk the next day. I got a no charge permit from Pinegrove Point to leave in the truck. There's always a way. Some times you just have to talk it over with the person on the other side of the phone or desk. Mostly they are happy to help.

8/21/2019 8:10 pm  #16

MartinG wrote:

I frequently (once or twice a year) called in my permits for east side locations. It used to be Kevin who took care of me with never a hassle. I think he moved on to Arrowhead. This spring we were parking a vehicle at Kingscote and getting our permit from Kiosk the next day. I got a no charge permit from Pinegrove Point to leave in the truck. There's always a way. Some times you just have to talk it over with the person on the other side of the phone or desk. Mostly they are happy to help.

The people at Pinegrove are very nice.  I'll always remember a few years back my friend and I finished the Kingscote/Benoir loop during a hot Thanksgiving weekend, and one of the gents gave us the biggest scoops of ice cream I've ever seen. He probably got a full pints worth into each scoop. It was the end of the season and probably the last weekend with temps that high, so he just went for it.

Oh the small things in life

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.