You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/06/2019 4:01 pm  #1

Pack Boat Advice

I'm renting a pack boat for the first time for a trip next week. This is a basic question, but I'm wondering if I need a double bladed paddle or if I can get by with my traditional paddle. 

Speaking of that trip, anyone going to be on Pinetree next week?

Drew

8/06/2019 9:52 pm  #2

Re: Pack Boat Advice

You cant really paddle a pack boat with a single blade. You will need the double.

8/07/2019 5:39 am  #3

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Speaking of that trip, anyone going to be on Pinetree next week?

No help on the pack boat, but I'd appreciate an update on Pinetree.

8/07/2019 6:17 am  #4

MartinG wrote:

You cant really paddle a pack boat with a single blade. You will need the double.

Good to know, thanks.

8/07/2019 10:19 am  #5

I think it depends a bit on your seat options.  The one pack boat I was in had the seat down on the floor so pretty much like a kayak. In that case, just as Martin says, single blade would not seem practical.  However, I think you can get a raised seat option (or does that just make it a solo canoe - don't know?) in which case you could single blade paddle.  Also I'm sure you'd be looking at this but if you're taking the boat/canoe into Pinetree you might want a removable yoke for the portage.  I didn't have to carry the one i tried but I sure would not want to shoulder carry or head carry for 2km.

8/09/2019 5:17 pm  #6

MartinG wrote:

I paddle my pack boat easily with a single blade. In fact, I use a single blade exclusively for fishing/trolling. BUT...I prefer a double blade for travel. A double blade is certainly more efficient, no doubt. I strongly recommend you bring both if you plan on doing some fishing. It's wise to have a spare anyway.

8/09/2019 5:27 pm  #7

@swiftfifteen do you have one of those dual seats or do you sit on the bottom? Do you have a shorter paddle? I've paddled a pack boat from the bottom with a Beavertail once. Shoot me if I have to do that for more than half an hour.

8/18/2019 5:09 pm  #8

Hey MartinG,

Super sorry for the late reply.  I was on a 21 day solo adventure up in WCPP.  Just returned last week and had a laundry list of things to do.

I have a 2019 Keewaydin 15ft pack boat in the carbon/innegra layup that comes standard with the carbon seat-pod permanently attached to bottom of canoe. It also has an adjustable foot brace on each side. To travel with, I use an adjustable carbon double paddle that is fully adjustable (240). It's an Accent brand. I like it very much and find it extremely light for my use. I also have a Grey Owl black cherry Guide paddle that I use exclusively for fishing/trolling. It's the 54" length and it's perfect for me.  I'm 6ft 1".

Hope that helps.  If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

8/19/2019 8:17 pm  #9

Sounds like a great trip! I'm very jealous.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.