You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 1:53 pm  #18

Re: Bushwhacking.....

Did the same route from Eustashe to Crow Lenny, left a stone pile in a little lichen-filled clearing about halfway....Cool to see others wandering around back there!

3/04/2018 2:17 pm  #19

My bushwacking is all about fishing. I will bring my light float tube(4 lbs) with me in the canoe and use it once I get to the lake Ive bushwacked to. The whole kit with waders and flippers is an extra 15-20 lbs on the portages though.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

3/06/2018 12:32 pm  #20

I was also into Rumley this past summer, took a harder line than I needed to on the way in but found a much nicer route on the way back, although I didn't bring a canoe on that trip it was certainly do-able....

8/02/2019 12:18 pm  #21

In spring '17 my brother and I bushwacked right across Algonquin...west to east. Upper interior. 4 days; 107 km. Doing a different and longer route very soon. InReach Explorer and maps a must.

8/02/2019 1:09 pm  #22

@meadowridge - so you didn't follow any canoe routes, just straightlined it across?  I would think it would take at least a week!

8/02/2019 4:44 pm  #23

We met some people who biked across the top of Algonquin in 2 days. The old rail line and logging roads help.

8/02/2019 4:45 pm  #24

In 2018 a group if us bushwhacked to Loontail, Coldspring and Kennedy. That was a great trip.

8/16/2019 11:00 am  #25

Younger brother and I just finished our 2nd trek...backpacks only...across Algonquin. Upper west side over and down to the Madawaska exit. 120 km. 5.5 days. 4 moose. Compassed across country middle 2.5 days. Good exercise for this farmer and grandfather. Never a campfire. Used compass, Algonquin maps, Bkbry Canada Pro app, and Satellite 'InReach' Explorer.

8/16/2019 12:56 pm  #26

meadowridge wrote:

... 120 km. 5.5 days ...

Traveling 20+ km per day doesn't sound like bushwhacking. I'll guess that you were mostly traveling on the many roads in the park. When I bushwhack in the park it's always been going between campsites, roads, or a trail. If I'm going 2 km/h then I consider that fast, with 1 km/h being typical.

8/16/2019 1:28 pm  #27

Please read the post more carefully. "Compassed across country middle 2.5 days". No mention of 'average'. Day 1  actually was 31km, which is easily done on a logging trail; similarly, with the last 2 days. The 2.5 days in the interior averaged about 8-9 km/day. We're farmers by trade. We move. jmf.

8/16/2019 4:19 pm  #28

That's pretty cool.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.