You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2019 5:08 pm  #18

Re: Late June Opeongo Loop - Happy Isle, Lac La Muir, Hogan, Big Crow, Pro

Not only is Opeongo a junction for some of the best loops in the park, Opeongo is a beautiful lake with dozens of fantastic campsites and unbeatable views! Sure it can be dangerous if the winds are up but so can Cedar, Ralph Bice, Burntroot, Lavielle, Grand and on and on. Not sure why people isolate Opeongo as a place not to go.

7/09/2019 6:03 pm  #19

MartinG wrote:

Not only is Opeongo a junction for some of the best loops in the park, Opeongo is a beautiful lake with dozens of fantastic campsites and unbeatable views! Sure it can be dangerous if the winds are up but so can Cedar, Ralph Bice, Burntroot, Lavielle, Grand and on and on. Not sure why people isolate Opeongo as a place not to go.

Nailed it. It's a very scenic lake and has a ton of features to explore. My only gripe is motor boats but nothing I can do about that.

I've paddled Ope a solid dozen times from all ends to all ends (except Annie's Bay) and only two of those times it was tough going. Many of those times the water was glass, pics speak louder than words. It's especially strange (to me) that Ope gets so much hate, given that Cedar has claimed more lives. Every lake is dangerous in the right conditions. Every lake is safe in the right conditions.

7/09/2019 7:06 pm  #20

Also Lesta, awesome report! Really captured the mood each day of your trip. Glad to have you back!

7/09/2019 10:57 pm  #21

And the tread drift continues.
Martin and Peek, I agree. I think Opeongo has just got an undeserved bad reputation. Being the largest lake in Algonquin and being on 60, be nature it tends to attract those who may be newer to canoeing in general. It is what, something like 15Km or a 3ish hour paddle from the outfitters to the Proulx lake portage. Again by Algonquin standards it is a large lake, but there are much larger around. Lake of bays down the road is approximately 22Km across the bottom. I know some of us have paddled lakes that take a day or 2 to cross. Big water, no portages, great sunrise and sunsets. Bring It on!!
Read the stories from a 100 years ago and it was no big thing to leave Big Trout and paddle through to the dam at the bottom of Annie Bay. Are we just getting soft?

7/10/2019 9:53 am  #22

Rob wrote:

... Read the stories from a 100 years ago and it was no big thing to leave Big Trout and paddle through to the dam at the bottom of Annie Bay. Are we just getting soft?

Yes, the whole world is getting soft. I have to wonder, what percentage of trippers starting out on Opeongo take the water taxi? How has that changed through the years? If motors were banned from Openogo then I'd be on it in a heartbeat. That area is full of lots of big beautiful lakes but it's just too busy for my tastes.

7/13/2019 9:21 pm  #23

Day two of my video log is up:
https://youtu.be/dyOopek9Qw0

7/23/2019 2:11 pm  #24

I don't like big lakes either ... same reason as everyone here plus I just don't get a lot of park days so no way I want to risk windbound days.  Yeah small lake and rivers for me ... love wondering what's around the next corner ...  

7/23/2019 7:00 pm  #25

Steve E ,
Had a few tough days solo coming out of Tim L too. Never paddled Opeongo ,but took the taxi a few times . If you think $95 is pricey from AO try coming out and seeing $1300 tacked onto your credit card bill .

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.