You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2019 8:31 am  #1

I need a name change. And you're the focus group.

My daughter has long felt that my username, dontgroandaddy, is somewhat suggestive.  I disagree with her entirely, to me it is an obvious reference to a dad who groans every time he stands up, sits down, picks something up, etc., however, to a cheering crowd of one I announced I would change my name.  The kids are 14 and 16 now, they seldom call me daddy at this point anyway .

(I'm not sure if Barry can just switch a username for me or if I would have to start a brand new account, but one thing at a time - new name first.)  Names are below, with explanations.  My son came up with the last one, and within our little family focus group that name tests the best, but I thought I'd expand the focus group.

Half the Paddler – a little self-deprecating humor, based on the rivalry between kayaks and canoes, “half the paddle, twice the paddler”.  I figure I’m simply half the paddler. 

Into the Wind – If there is another direction in which to paddle a canoe I've never found it.

Ceiling Unlimited – A Rush song title that conveys the idea of adventure.  Maybe a little over the top though.

Muttering Under My Breth – not a misspelling, this is both a nod to my last name and the vocal interactions I have with all of my equipment (from brave canoes bucking a hard wind to sleeping bag zippers that get caught up in pitch dark), the natural world (animals, trees, rocks, sky….) and sometimes my canoeing partners (truly muttering).

Here's the one from my son:
MooseWhizzer or MooseWhizzer Dave.   This goes to the story of me unknowingly peeing on a moose (in total darkness) on the last night of my first trip to Algonquin.  I am leaning toward this one, it just makes me laugh.  Sounds like something Bob and Doug McKenzie would say.

6/26/2019 9:55 am  #2

Re: I need a name change. And you're the focus group.

I think you have a really great name already. It sends a clear visual of a middle aged guy groaning as he's huffing the canoe up on his shoulders. I say don't change it.

6/26/2019 10:27 am  #3

Whosyourdaddy? Hmm, ok maybe not. 
Hard to offer a suggestion as I'd need to know you better to opine. Having said that, I'm now intrigued by this moose whizzer story. 

6/26/2019 10:48 am  #4

solos - I agree with you completely, but it bugs my daughter so I feel like I should make a change.  Part of me wants to make it "I Huffed and I Puffed and got out of my Chair" but that's too long.

RCSPartan - OK, at the end of this I promise a re-telling.  When my kids were little they used to beg me tell it to their friends. My poor wife has heard it at social functions many times but still doesn't roll her eyes at me.

6/26/2019 3:24 pm  #5

Hi 'DGD'. I've just checked my 'admin-options' and it looks like I cannot change a 'user-name'. Sorry!

6/26/2019 3:41 pm  #6

No problem, Barry.  If I get settled on a new handle, I don't mind starting over.   ".....the artist formerly known as Dontgroandaddy....."

6/26/2019 4:59 pm  #7

I am with your son on this. I like it!
My handle was given to me by my daughter as I kept falling out of a hammock years ago.

6/26/2019 7:53 pm  #8

If a change has to be made, it must be made to MooseWhizzer.

6/27/2019 7:21 am  #9

Moose Whizzer!!!

6/27/2019 8:38 am  #10

MooseWhizzer is clearly the only possible choice. 

6/27/2019 3:23 pm  #11

Another vote here for MooseWhizzer.  Let's face it - how many people can match that story?  Commemorate your unique experience and enjoy the bragging rights.

6/27/2019 6:03 pm  #12

How about

BullTinkle   

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/27/2019 6:14 pm  #13

LOL!! That is GOOD

6/27/2019 6:58 pm  #14

I realize I'm in the strong minority on this but I'm all for Ceiling Unlimited!! Here's to more Rush references on this forum!

6/27/2019 8:38 pm  #15

I mean, if you pissed on a male moose, the obvious answer is Shawn's BullTinkle...

If it was a female moose then you should stick with Moose Whizzer *******.

Last edited by BarryB (6/28/2019 4:12 pm)

6/28/2019 10:03 am  #16

Another vote for BullTinkle or MooseWhizzer!

6/28/2019 10:08 am  #17

hey who secretly edited my post above CanoeClaire?  Didn't realize hidden censorship was here on AAF.

At least be transparent when editing a post, yeesh.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.