You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2019 12:37 pm  #1

Buck Lake Campsite?

Does anyone know if the campsite at Buck Lake is out of commission?  I seem to recall someone saying that but I can't find the post.

Looking to do a late fall (Oct/Nov) trip with my dad and deciding on a canoe trip or easier car camp-style trip.  We did Sec Lake the past 2 years and loved the ability to have an interior feeling site that you could drive your truck to.  

I see there are also 2 sites on Basin Lake that you can drive to....does anyone know if they are within eye-shot of eachother?  They look pretty close together on the map...

5/27/2019 1:53 pm  #2

Re: Buck Lake Campsite?

I was at Basin Lake 1 week ago and the two sites are ridiculously close. You'd easily see and hear your neighbors. On the other hand, you could park your car there and stroll up the old logging road and take your stuff to the NE campsite on Basin. 

5/27/2019 2:19 pm  #3

Thanks Solos...is there a road that runs up the east side of the lake?  I can't see it on Jeffs map...

5/27/2019 2:26 pm  #4

I usually plan a group camp for a group of former park staff every year and try and make it drive-to. Nice thing about Oct - Nov is nobody is around. Lake Travers was where we went last time which is great. Some Walleye in there too.

5/27/2019 2:28 pm  #5

Where was the drive-to spot at Travers?  We were up there last year and didn't see any site.  Is it past the bridge?

5/27/2019 2:31 pm  #6

Oh actually I was referring to the ability to paddle-in to camp without having the need to portage. 

If I were to really want to drive right to camp and still ahve nobody around I go up my road that dwindles into crown land and therse plenty of lakes any decent 4x4 can get to that nobody seems to care for.

I live near access pt 14 for Dividing Lake but there are options all around the park.

Last edited by ryanmorin (5/27/2019 2:33 pm)

5/27/2019 2:33 pm  #7

Ah gotcha...that makes sense now   

5/27/2019 2:49 pm  #8

Yes the Buck site is there and it is reservable. I'm not a fan. It is right on the road. Practically no separation from traffic. I've camped at the access point on Basin a couple of times. It's very nice. Great area for exploring.

5/27/2019 10:50 pm  #9

Steve E wrote:

Thanks Solos...is there a road that runs up the east side of the lake?  I can't see it on Jeffs map...

The road is not on Jeff’s Map but is semi visible on satellite or aerial images. It’s about the same quality as the access road and it connects to it about 50 m before the access point. However, the road is more overgrown and has some deadfall. The road is an easy 1.5 km walk that takes you within an easy 50 m bushwhack to the NE site. Not exactly drive in but at least it’s private.

5/28/2019 7:13 am  #10

solos wrote:

Steve E wrote:

The road is not on Jeff’s Map but is semi visible on satellite or aerial images. It’s about the same quality as the access road and it connects to it about 50 m before the access point. However, the road is more overgrown and has some deadfall. The road is an easy 1.5 km walk that takes you within an easy 50 m bushwhack to the NE site. Not exactly drive in but at least it’s private.

Sounds like a viable option for sure.  Thanks for the tip!  I think we are going to bring the canoe for some day trips so perhaps if we get there and the drive-to site is occupied we'll plunk the canoe in the water and head to another site on the lake.  Sounds like there are a few options regardless.

5/28/2019 10:45 am  #11

Steve . .ever consider McManus ... there appears to be a walk in campsite near the put in.  See Jeffs map. 

I haven't been there to confirm what its like but its a short drive past sec so you know the area ...  

5/28/2019 10:49 am  #12

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

Steve . .ever consider McManus ... there appears to be a walk in campsite near the put in.  See Jeffs map. 

I haven't been there to confirm what its like but its a short drive past sec so you know the area ...  

We actually checked that site out last November when we were there.  It is a pretty easy walk along a pretty overgrown path to the site.  I think the site was ok, although nothing spectacular...very quiet though!  It would certainly be an option, although I think we're looking to try out a new general area as we went to Sec the last two years.  

5/29/2019 9:40 am  #13

I'm sure you have considered this before but as long as the water taxi is running you can get a lot of privacy and great sites with a short 10 minute ride up Opeongo  ... lots of island campsites ... or camp near a portage for some hiking ... Annie Bay has access to a river .. .Dickson Bonfield is a nice day hike (when not carrying a canoe) .. . the north arm has red rock and proulx portages for hikes ... you would have to judge the wind that time of year to get a sheltered site though. 

But with the taxi its almost like a drive in site ...

5/29/2019 9:42 am  #14

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

I'm sure you have considered this before but as long as the water taxi is running you can get a lot of privacy and great sites with a short 10 minute ride up Opeongo  ... lots of island campsites ... or camp near a portage for some hiking ... Annie Bay has access to a river .. .Dickson Bonfield is a nice day hike (when not carrying a canoe) .. . the north arm has red rock and proulx portages for hikes ... you would have to judge the wind that time of year to get a sheltered site though. 

But with the taxi its almost like a drive in site ...

I actually have never thought about that as an option...but you are right, that would open up some new possibilities for sure.  In all my years going to the park I've never been up Opeongo as we usually prefer river paddling and smaller lakes...But I've always been intrigued by it.  I can't see the taxi running in early November though, do they?  I'll have to research that option.

Thanks for the idea!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.