You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2019 4:00 pm  #1

Mark in the Park Episode 7 (Video)

Episode 7 has just been posted!  This episode shows a short trip from Maple Lake to Kiosk via Maple Creek as Mark & co. prepare to move to a different area of the park for the weekend.  Hang around to the end for a true Algonquin Park Delicacy.

Producer / Camera Operator - Mark in the Park TV Show
Season 2:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpo6wbdVw4qmSqVK8zliRnCbgekagKzpS
Summer 2020:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpo6wbdVw4qkWN_4wQlRxNJUkEeCeAKq3
Professional Backcountry Canoe Tripper Wannabe

4/27/2019 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Mark in the Park Episode 7 (Video)

Markus has the longest and most amazingly documented list of trip reports of APP of anyone i know. But I can't help to think of Dagwood Bumstead when i see him bumbling through the bush..lol And I honestly cant imagine him guiding anyone anywhere, at least by himself..lol. But God bless him, he's such a good human being.

Im really enjoying this video series, Matt, thanks again for sharing this here!

4/29/2019 3:15 pm  #3

You know that is not really a fair or informed comment.

Mark has been pretty much everywhere in the Park. 2 day trips to 22 day trips, 150 of them. He has done all the hardest routes in the park, including the Brent Run, Meanest Link, Dickson through to Greenleaf. He has traveled off the beaten path to places like Birchcliffe Creek, The Headwaters of the Big East, Alder Creek, the entire Bonnechere River from the Headwaters at Mckaskill, visited many of the prized lakes in the nature zones including Loontail, Coldspring and Kennedy. And he does it all with skill, perseverance and a smile on his face. He has more first hand experience with the modern day park than most. Not to mention trips to Northern Ontario and the Yukon. Far from the bumbler you see. The people he guides appreciate it. Probably why he works pretty much full time as a guide from June through September.

You know it's not always about the fishing.

4/29/2019 3:34 pm  #4

I don't imagine he meant anything mean Martin. You have to admit, Mark doesn't exactly look like the grizzled backcountry veteran you might imagine based on his trip history. If you ran into him on the street would you think "There's a God among men"? ;)

4/29/2019 3:37 pm  #5

That's not really the point Bob.

4/29/2019 3:44 pm  #6

Then I have no idea what point you're arguing, so I'll move on!

Edit: to be clear, I'm not sure you're arguing the point I thought Swift was making in the first place, which I read as appearance versus reality. But perhaps I'm misinterpreting his post. 

Last edited by Uppa (4/29/2019 3:50 pm)

4/29/2019 7:29 pm  #7

It was a backhanded compliment. A condescending remark meant to belittle someone I have learned to respect.

4/29/2019 10:00 pm  #8

I haven't watched any episodes, but I jumped right in on Day 7 - just did that exact route last spring.  I highly recommend Maple Cr. just after ice out - the falls along the portage are really spectacular.
This episode was great!  I'll totally check out the others now.  Looks like they set the tarp up pretty much over the fire pit - anyone els do this??  I am always afraid the tarp will melt....And I really dislike mayo.

4/29/2019 11:03 pm  #9

MartinG wrote:

It was a backhanded compliment. A condescending remark meant to belittle someone I have learned to respect.

Relax, i wasn't trying to belittle anyone. It's exactly as Uppa has interpreted...sheesh.  Martin, if you behave yourself I'll see what i can do to set you up with Markus, you're clearly enamored with him..lol 

Last edited by Swift Fifteen (4/29/2019 11:10 pm)

4/30/2019 4:28 am  #10

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Relax, i wasn't trying to belittle anyone. It's exactly as Uppa has interpreted...sheesh.  Martin, if you behave yourself I'll see what i can do to set you up with Markus, you're clearly enamored with him..lol 

@Martin: my apologies for giving Swift the benefit of the doubt. He's left no doubt that he doesn't deserve it. 

Last edited by Uppa (4/30/2019 4:28 am)

4/30/2019 6:02 am  #11

Swift Fifteen is an ass.

4/30/2019 6:29 am  #12

Come on guys lets keep this a friendly place...  Everyone has an opinion which is great but lets be respectful of each other and the rules of the forum.  

Forum Rules
When posting content to this forum, you are expected to ..
1. not post inflammatory or defamatory statements.
2. not post personally critical or argumentative statements.

4/30/2019 6:39 am  #13

It is sometimes very difficult to have yourself fully understood online. I’m sure I have posted things in the past in an attempt at sarcasm or humour that have been misunderstood. This is clearly NOT one of those times.

Swift you are a obviously struggling here so let me throw you a bit of a life line and see if we can’t politely move passed this.

Let me ask you a few questions.

1) What do you think the level of effort was to put a series of shows like this together? And do you think the end product is good or bad.? Should the people involved be proud of what was produced here?
2) Given the relative small size of the paddling community in Algonquin. What do you think the odds are that some of the people on this site might know Markus? Or might even be close personal friends with him?
3) Given your answers to the first 2 questions please reread your initial post and consider how  you think it would have been received by those people.

What do you think? Do you want to give your response a second go?

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/30/2019 7:40 am  #14

ShawnD,

1a - A high level of effort.
1b - Good
1c - Yes

2a - 3:1  *But most are over on his forum due to this exact ridiculous reaction here.  It's precisely why he and many others left in the first place.
2b - 2:1.

3. I honestly don't know. But if they take themselves as seriously as some of the folks do here, I would hazard a guess, similar.

Barry Bridgeford recently make a comment that was intended to caution people.  He did this, I believe, because he cares about the safety of others.  But someone took that personally and interpreted it as a slam against their character. Really?  Did someone actually think that Barry would slight anyone here, or be rude in any way towards anyone?  It's laughable to even think that.

But sadly their are folks who simply take themselves so seriously that they're unable to poke fun and perhaps a little jest at themselves or friends.  My comment was just that, nothing more nothing less. I have zero animosity towards anyone. And name calling (ass) is really not my style. But fill your boots.

And thanks for the lifeline, Shawn, but really not necessary.  I'm a strong swimmer...even amongst sharks.

4/30/2019 8:47 am  #15

Just caught up with the angst level on this thread. Thanks Steve for doing the moderator thing so well.

I want everyone here to know I value Markus as a friend. I know he and I could pick-up where we left off, separated only by the business of life, the passage of time and the miles between. There's a single framed picture hanging on the wall over my dresser. It was a gift from Markus many years ago, of him portaging his canoe late in the soft-water season with a light snow on the ground. So, let all here on the forum know that I count him among my 'outdoor-buds'. Enough said!

4/30/2019 8:54 am  #16

Sorry to derail your thread Matt. Great video! Looking forward to the next episode. For the record Spam wraps are best with mustard!

4/30/2019 8:55 am  #17

Great video (again) but I have to say I threw up in my mouth a bit when I saw that spam and mayo wrap....ughhhh.  To each their own!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.