You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2019 7:58 pm  #1

Rubber Boots for tripping - any recommendations?

Thinking about purchasing some rubber boots for early spring tripping...anyone have any recommendations? Is there a company that specializes in rubber boots for canoeing and portaging (i.e. with good tread and ankle support for portaging, warmth, comfort, ease of removal in a water emergency etc.)? thanks!

Last edited by goneagainjon (4/01/2019 8:19 pm)

4/01/2019 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Rubber Boots for tripping - any recommendations?

NEOS makes Trekker waterproof overshoes - they are knee high, light (about 1.5 lbs a pair) and easy to put on/off your favorite hiking boots.

4/02/2019 11:30 am  #3

I've been using Lacrosse hunting boots for years. They have a clasp at the top to cinch them tight.  I've got a pair of Muck boots which are pretty much the same as the Lacrosse but do not cinch tight. IMO you can't go wrong with either.

4/02/2019 12:08 pm  #4

If you are using them for shoulder seasons and want a warm pair, the Kamik ones from Canadian Tire are great.They are usually 60 bucks, but regularly go on sale for 40-50. They are the ones with a removable liner. I gave up on rubber boots without liners a long time ago because your feet just get damp from sweat, then cold and clammy.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kamik-insulated-rubber-boots-black-boys-men-s-0872668p.html#srp

I use them for ice out trips, late fall trips and even as backup winter camping boots. The key is to get them slightly oversize, and put a felted insole in the bottom or wear big wooly socks. 

4/02/2019 12:18 pm  #5

APPaul wrote:

... I gave up on rubber boots without liners a long time ago because your feet just get damp from sweat, then cold and clammy. ...

I go the other way and leave the lined boots at home but wear 2 pairs of wool socks in the unlined rubber boots. The wool wicks the moisture away better and is still warm. I use the lined boots in the winter.

The biggest thing I look for is height. If you shop around a bit you'll find boots a couple of inches taller, which pays off for me. 

4/03/2019 8:09 am  #6

Whatever you go with, unless you're taking them off in the canoe, Get boots with some sort of closure at the top! If you flip with boots on they'll quickly fill with water, making it virtually impossible to swim, and if you can't EASILY kick them off or stop the water in the first place, you can end up in a world of hurt!
I use the Kamik hunter-style boots with a laced cuff at the top that I can snug up just for that reason

4/03/2019 8:14 am  #7

I use these for ice out trips.

https://paddling.com/gear/nrs-nrs-boundary-shoe/

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/03/2019 12:00 pm  #8

So......I've got a trip scheduled for May 17-19, mostly paddling.  One portage, a 200 meter shorty. Day two I visit Baden Powell, there's a 400-something on the way, and I understand a beaver dam to overcome.

This is my first ice-out trip.  It had not occurred to me that I might need anything other than my usual hiking boots.  I'm prepared for cold weather with base layers and even have neoprene gloves for paddling, but boots I hadn't thought about. 

Can you help me assess the need here?  Is the primary concern dumping the boat in very frigid water?  Are the portage conditions super-different at that time?  Something else?  All of the above? 

By the way, Shawn's boot looks like a pretty good option.  

4/03/2019 12:16 pm  #9

Compared to summer, portages in May can be a lot muddier with more standing water. Right after ice out I would say portages "will be" but by May 17th the weather since ice out will have a bigger impact. 

For me the primary concern when it comes to footwear isn't dumping the boat, it's getting in and out of the canoes and dealing with deeper water/mud on the portage trails. Being able to step into the water with boots on really helps with loading and unloading the canoes and I would say it has cut down on the number of falls and slips at the takeouts and landings compared to the folks who are wearing hiking boots and practicing their gymnastics to get in and out of the canoes while keeping their feet dry. 

In the summer it's fine to get wet during the day and dry out in camp at night. In early May it's important to stay dry because when the gaps in the rain during the day are because it started snowing and the temperature is dropping to -8C or lower at night, you really aren't going to be able to dry out your footwear over night. 

Early May also happens to be one of the most beautiful times of year to be out with spring growth just starting, no bugs and sometimes complete solitude on a quiet lake. 

4/03/2019 1:14 pm  #10

What Rob said..
And to this point

RobW wrote:

the folks who are wearing hiking boots and practicing their gymnastics to get in and out of the canoes while keeping their feet dry.

Drives me crazy!! A buddy i canoe with refused to give this practice up for the longest time.  I had to position the canoe in just the right place for him so he could keep his feet dry.. Finally got him into a pair of water/hiking shoes for wet foot entries and exits in summer and he uses rubber boots in spring now.

And dontgroandaddy.. best price on those boots I have, is usually here..https://www.lacordee.com/en/nrs-boundary-boots

Last edited by ShawnD (4/03/2019 5:19 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

4/03/2019 5:11 pm  #11

ShawnD wrote:

I use these for ice out trips.

https://paddling.com/gear/nrs-nrs-boundary-shoe/

I agree with Shawn , I bought these last year for an ice out trip and they were great.

4/03/2019 11:14 pm  #12

OK, I took the plunge this evening and purchased a pair. Thank you very much for the guidance, and goneagainjon, sorry if I kind of hi-jacked your post, but I'm sure glad you posted to begin with.  Once again AA and the regulars come through with terrific advice.

4/04/2019 7:03 am  #13

For those who bought the NRS shoe/boot:

1.  How do they handle on long(ish) portages 1.5-2.0 km or so)?  Do they let your feet breath?

2.  I suppose most important is the fit - I have done the online boot purchase thing before and it was a disaster.  First pair too small, second pair too large with nothing else in between.  Overall I was out duty plus 2 x shipping for the returns.

I am in the SW Ontario/London area - is there a store that carries these?  I would much prefer to try a pair on...

4/04/2019 9:23 am  #14

pjr2013 wrote:

For those who bought the NRS shoe/boot:

1.  How do they handle on long(ish) portages 1.5-2.0 km or so)?  Do they let your feet breath?

2.  I suppose most important is the fit - I have done the online boot purchase thing before and it was a disaster.  First pair too small, second pair too large with nothing else in between.  Overall I was out duty plus 2 x shipping for the returns.

I am in the SW Ontario/London area - is there a store that carries these?  I would much prefer to try a pair on...

So my 2 cents. These boots are good for colder weather. they keep my feet dry and warm. I would not want to be wearing them if it were hot out , but I would say the same thing about any kind of rubber.or neoprene boot..They do not offer the same support as a good pair of hiking boots but you can cinch them down with the strap on top quite a bit. I have never had a problem..

In terms of fit, I take the same size in these that I do for most other footwear so  they fit true to size.

MEC used to carry them but I don't think the do anymore. 

The site I linked to above does offer free returns for orders over $49.

4/04/2019 10:48 am  #15

For spring and cold water trips I wear the NRS Workboot. Like the NRS Boundary shoe it has a 7mm neoprene insole and 5mm neoprene sock. But it is not meant to keep your feet dry. Instead it keeps your feet warm when they are wet. It works very well for that. Unlike a rubber boot the NRS Workboot  is impossible to slip off when you are stuck in deep muck. It also offers much more traction and support than any rubber boot or the NRS Boundary shoe. The downside is they are hot, heavy and a bit bulky. If you are willing to work with wet feet or wear them over a drysuit they are a great spring option. 

https://www.nrs.com/product/2338/nrs-workboot-wetshoe 

4/04/2019 10:51 am  #16

ShawnD wrote:

So my 2 cents. These boots are good for colder weather. they keep my feet dry and warm. I would not want to be wearing them if it were hot out , but I would say the same thing about any kind of rubber.or neoprene boot..They do not offer the same support as a good pair of hiking boots but you can cinch them down with the strap on top quite a bit. I have never had a problem..

In terms of fit, I take the same size in these that I do for most other footwear so  they fit true to size.

MEC used to carry them but I don't think the do anymore. 

The site I linked to above does offer free returns for orders over $49.

Thanks ShawnD - In the summer I wear keen sandals 100%, in the boat and on the portage.  I find them quite spectacular - enough support/protection (toe protection - this is shockingly important!) on a portage, but free enough for summer.  I would use the boots only for the shoulder season - this year my spring trip is booked for the 13th and the plan is to base camp at Linda Lake (any tips on sites anyone??) and explore /day trip from there.  Perhaps find the old portage route on Jeff's map, explore Linda Creek/Iris Creek (on Iris L).  The route into Linda has 4 portages with the longest @ 1315 m...

4/04/2019 10:54 am  #17

I've never really considered a boot like this but really like the idea.  We do our tripping in late fall and these seem like they would fit the bill perfectly for our style of tripping (short portages, lots of lift-overs, etc.).  I wonder how sweaty your feet get in these if you are just wearing a wool sock inside in cooler temps?

I'd be curious as to where I could try on a pair as well as I'm reluctant to order shoes online due to sizing concerns... I wonder 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.