You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2019 7:10 pm  #18

Re: Securing vehicle keys

Alchemist canoes had a similar hatch and handle style. Always loved those boats. Not sure they're still made but now wondering if the H2O peeps have connections to Alchemist. I actually replaced my stock handles in my Winisk with pvc condensate p-traps and inverted them like the ones pictures. Works great and gives you a little extra height when carrying.Being short I thought it was a great idea when I saw them.

3/30/2019 11:55 am  #19

Shayne74 wrote:

Alchemist canoes had a similar hatch and handle style. Always loved those boats. Not sure they're still made but now wondering if the H2O peeps have connections to Alchemist. .

Pretty sure H2O made Alchemist canoes.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/30/2019 7:23 pm  #20

Alchemist is the brand name for H20 composites boats made to spec for Paddle Shack. H20 canoe was originally pitched as being a branded canoe for Frontenac Outfitters. Larry Showler at Frontenac Outfitters wasn't interested in branding, so H20 canoes was born. All the original H20 Canoe designs were based on specs by Frontenac Outfitters. Also pretty much replicas of Bluewater canoes.

3/31/2019 5:12 am  #21

Amazing story Chuck ! Karma for sure lol

7/15/2020 2:22 pm  #22

I lost a set of keys in the Tim River 2 years ago and didn't find them. Anyone ever find any keys there? 

7/16/2020 8:05 am  #23

Sorry, Tim, haven't seen them...will look for them next time through.

We packed up all our gear at our Opeongo put-in/take-out after a May fishing trip and drove seven or eight hours down to Scranton, PA where we had left my brother-in-law's car.  At that point he realized he had left his keys on a bench at the docks of Opeongo.  Regardless of where you put them, you still have to remember to pick them up.

7/16/2020 4:58 pm  #24

Best missing key story I have involved a whitewater trip on the Madawaska River.   At the take out the shuttle driver realized he had left his keys at the put in.   Two people remembered there was farm near the take out point.  They walked there and found the farmer sitting on the porch and a brand new pickup truck parked beside the house.   They explained the situation and asked if he would give them a drive to the put in.  Instead he threw the truck keys to them and told them to drive it themselves!

7/17/2020 8:12 am  #25

Does 'locking keys in your car' count as losing them? I had to put a rock through my own window at the Magnetawan access point a few years back. 

7/17/2020 10:01 am  #26

Uppa wrote:

Does 'locking keys in your car' count as losing them? I had to put a rock through my own window at the Magnetawan access point a few years back. 

Ouch. That sucks.

7/17/2020 12:00 pm  #27

Still Ziploc only.  But now you have me thinking lol

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

7/17/2020 12:32 pm  #28

Uppa - I remember that trip report and you bouncing the rock off the window, etc.  Some moments of "that happened." are more epic than others.

On one of my scout trips in the early 80's, of course there were a few dad's who would come.  This particular one was well-liked, a little older, smoked a pipe, was a very kind man.  I saw him lose his sense of humor twice.  Once when his sons did something hilariously stupid (one of my all-time top stories, will save it for another time), and on this occasion.  He wore glasses, and he had these floats attached to the side of the frame.  They were  yellow, and molded to look like lemon wedges.  Dumbest looking things ever.  His boat dumped on the Petawawa, his glasses came off and floated down the river....ok that's a bald-faced lie.  They sank like they had stones tied to them.  Not even a hint of floating.

For keys, I just stick them in a little recessed area in the wheel well of my car.  They aren't visible and the place is not obvious.  I know very well what would happen if I took my keys with me in the park.  Sploosh!  Even if I put lemon wedges on them.

7/17/2020 8:19 pm  #29

Shayne74 wrote:

Am I the only one that puts my key in a ziploc and stashes it under a rock in an inconspicuous location adjacent to my parking spot of choice? Stashed many times. Never and issue. Just in case I do leave one hidden in car. Never had to break a window to get at it though.

I've done this too. Never an issue.

7/18/2020 8:12 am  #30

I intentionally lock my keys in the car (well hidden of course)!
I went to a locksmith and had a plain key cut that only unlocks the door, it won't start the car or disable the alarm because it has no electronics to get wet. That key is attached to a loop in my wallet, which lives in a zippered pocket in my pants.
Even if I did lose the "valet" key, with a whittled wedge and a wire, long thin branch, or even my fishing rod, I can still pop the door, grab the keys, and drive away.

7/18/2020 12:52 pm  #31

Last edited by Shayne74 (7/18/2020 1:44 pm)

7/18/2020 10:19 pm  #32

There is not much usefulness in carrying your keys. They just add to the weight and the worry of keeping them safe. The trick is to find a good stash spot that you remember, preferably not on or in your vehicle.

7/30/2020 10:25 am  #33

It was always traditional to leave keys on top of a tire so if someone was stranded they could use your vehicle to get help. But i guess with the cost of a pickup > $50k ,no one wants to risk their truck being stolen or damaged. Get a magnetic box and you can hide the key in many places . The idea of getting a plain key made just to open the door is a good one.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.