You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/21/2019 6:25 am  #1

Nipissing - Big Bob to Grass lake

Gidday gang

Has anyone on here travelled the portion of the Nip from Big Bob to Grass lake in the last couple of yrs?
I was just wondering about the alders?

Thanks

2/21/2019 9:14 am  #2

Re: Nipissing - Big Bob to Grass lake

Hey 71,

I did that stretch in October 2017, alders where not an issue at that time, and there were not as many pullovers as I expected either. Just lots of twists and turns.

2/21/2019 11:27 am  #3

Hey 71, myself and three others did this trip in May 2018, and found the Big Bob to P55 on the Nip to be decent. Wide at Big Bob and progressively narrowing, with some really nice water obstacles to portage around. After the P55 and campsite the river really gets choked out with Alder plus quite a few carry overs, some of which are tricky.  We were headed from Loontail Creek to Big Bob, and actually took a wrong turn in the alder at a couple points, as the correct way seemed to be the least obvious with currents and openings! going the other direction you may avoid this, but I hope you like spiders!

Where Loontail Creek and the Nip meet was spectacular.... I don't know why but it really stuck out as a neat place in the river valleys.

I posted a 4 part trip video on you tube if you want to take a look at the area, https://youtu.be/x6N_TOIgePU .
Day 2 covers from Rosebary L to the portage on the Nip past Grass Lake, and Day 3 cover up until Big Bob.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Evan Briden (2/21/2019 11:28 am)

2/21/2019 12:29 pm  #4

We did it in spring 2018 too. We went the week after ice out, the Alders are definitely back. Going downstream it's not really an issue. We didn't get out of the boats at all. I can see that you might need to when going upstream.

Also a vid https://youtu.be/ZcVpA0XNe5I 

Last edited by MartinG (2/21/2019 12:29 pm)

2/21/2019 5:28 pm  #5

Thanks everyone for their replies. Lots of great memories of the area and we may find our way back there this yr! Those alders help thin the crowds eh?

Evan - you made me smile when you were describing your Day 2 plans on your video and that you had lots of time

Martin G - any chance we will run into you again on the Nip this yr?

2/21/2019 8:51 pm  #6

Not this Spring. Think the plan is for North Branch. Tight lines!

2/22/2019 10:56 am  #7

yeah, sometimes our hopes are misplaced in some tight alder! Gotta stay positive out there!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.