You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2015 6:38 pm  #18

Re: Crown Land Campsite - West Side

Just out of curiosity, what dates exactlty are considered "hunting season" up in that area?  We found a few Corwn land campsites on our way into the Tim River access point today and they were all vacant (kind of suprised me as I had though this was moose season?)

10/04/2015 7:59 pm  #19

Now until December Honestly I forget what was posted the last time I was at Booth for AP but on crown land bow season has already started and it varies by zone by my OH believes in our zone it ends in Dec but he says he'd have to look it up to give the end date.

10/04/2015 8:21 pm  #20

Moose starts on the 3rd Saturday in October and ends the following Saturday. Deer is 1st Monday in November and runs for about two weeks. Then there are bow hunters and bird hunters and first nations hunters. Generally I stay out of their way and off crown land for the last half of October and first half of November.

10/04/2015 8:27 pm  #21

We found a pretty nice Crown Land spot just above the small falls along Forestry Tower Road (before the split between Tim and Magnetawan access points).  Looks like it would be a neat place to stay and explore, but I guess you'd have to be carefull around this time of year eh?

10/04/2015 9:44 pm  #22

During the moose or deer (gun) hunt or even the weekends preceeding them, I just wouldn't expect to find a crown land campsite available. Hunters will be rushing to set up camp wherever they can along the back roads and well-established campsites would be the first spots to go.

Yes the bow season for deer in most southern WMUs is all of October through December, but I wouldn't worry about that so much, far less intense. Hunters themselves are only required to wear blaze orange during the gun seasons for deer and moose (and elk where it exists).

10/05/2015 8:23 am  #23

How to find crown land with recreational potential in Ontario, part 2... more time-consuming and rougher than going to marked places on a map but the upside is very few others will go there (what, no picnic table, no thunderbox). As far as an alternate place to stay pre or post APP trips, you might be surprised at how much there is around the perimeter of the park. And camping is free for Ontario residents, no fees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snbMdL0ZK1M

PS... for those unfamiliar with crown land camping, Part 1, why do it in the first place, pros and cons, etc. Did I happen to say that its free, no fees?

Well, in case I didn't... it's free with no fees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHOVMz_FmFA

Last edited by frozentripper (10/05/2015 8:27 am)

10/05/2015 9:26 am  #24

Steve E wrote:

We found a pretty nice Crown Land spot just above the small falls along Forestry Tower Road (before the split between Tim and Magnetawan access points).  Looks like it would be a neat place to stay and explore, but I guess you'd have to be carefull around this time of year eh?

Wear two pieces of orange even if you don't hunt.
Good reminder to find my dogs orange coat for our "around the block" walk its 8 km of dirt roads.And a thousand acres of primo deer hunting.

10/14/2015 7:49 am  #25

Nice to see a Crown Land discussion in AA.

The most recent canoe trips I have done were two Crown Land solo canoe trips in the past three weeks, the most recent Thanksgiving 2015 weekend.

I really enjoy it. The price, rules, crowds, etc. are right too.

Moose hunting was in play at the time with shotguns a blaring in the distance.

Wolves were howling at night. Stars were bright. Excellent, clean sites, some with a thunder box, camp supplies, firewood too.

I met like minded Crown Land trippers en route a few weeks ago, great folk they are.

Weather was perfect. All good, no complaints, very quiet, no other canoeists, just me.

On lakes where cottages are I had the opportunity to speak with a few of the owners. Very nice they all were with respect for those canoe tripping when in their motor boats too.

I saw a red fox, wolf, otter and loons. I also saw black bear and moose tracks in a logging area I hiked through. Great fun canoeing, fishing, hiking, portaging and more.

There are many routes to be had in Ontario via due diligence, networking, etc.

Nice change up from canoe tripping in Provincial Parks which I have done plenty of and will do again.

Last edited by Tripper_Scott (10/14/2015 8:00 am)

2/04/2019 10:01 pm  #26

Hi there,

I'm interested in the crown land site you mentioned ... "one closer to Hwy 60 on the Opeongo river 1-2 km further in from the elbow in the Aylen road... there is a lot of room here, enough for several campsites and IIRC it is the place where WW paddlers often stay at while doing runs down the Opeongo."

I can't quite locate this on the map. It would be great if you could provide further description, or even google map coordinates. I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks,
Paul

____

frozentripper wrote:

Dan,

"...a campsite up Aylen Lake Road at the confluence of the Opeongo and Aylen Rives (access point Op2)..."

Actually there are two campsites in that area on Jeff's map... the one closest to the Aylen marina and access point is very exposed to road traffic and offers no privacy. A much better campsite is the one closer to Hwy 60 on the Opeongo river 1-2 km further in from the elbow in the Aylen road... there is a lot of room here, enough for several campsites and IIRC it is the place where WW paddlers often stay at while doing runs down the Opeongo.

The downside of this location is an ATV trail along the old railway line next to the campsite... when I was there, several came roaring past. But no one else camping although the easy road access means that bush parties could be happening.. Also there is the need to drive on a short dirt road to get to the river, off the main gravel Aylen lake road.... some small potholes and puddles of water could be a problem with low clearance vehicles. All that said I haven't been there in several years, so the place may have changed but since it's on Jeff's map, I suppose crown land camping is still possible there.

PS... another perk from camping here is paddling Aylen lake if it is calm... nice scenery and bass fishing.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.