You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2018 8:57 am  #1

turtle rock on catfish?

while i was paddling through catfish this spring,,i went by turtle rock several times.
   there is a second rock formation on the eastern  shoreline of catfish, almost square with the the rock in the lake,, it is perched up on a rock shelf. this rock seemed to be balanced on a smaller rock that looked like a leg and has a point that looks like a head. the on shore rock looked more like a turtle then the rock in the lake,,, as marked on a map i had with me. 
     so what rock is turtle rock,, the rock sticking outta the lake or the nearby rock on shore?
  to me the rock on the shore line looks more like a turtle then the lake rock.

7/13/2018 9:41 am  #2

Re: turtle rock on catfish?

I always thought it was a rock on the shore that had the shape of a turtle's head.  But I am by no means well-informed on the matter.

7/13/2018 11:08 am  #3

I think Turtle Rock is mislabeled on Jeff's Maps. My understanding is the name Turtle Rock refers to a sacred First Nations site on shore. It is the one with a large erratic perched on a smaller rock.

7/13/2018 12:50 pm  #4

gee   j.c.   i think you nailed that one
     thanks for your insights, and wonderful photos,,

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.