You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2018 10:00 am  #1

Logging and tripping!

One of the things I like most about tripping in Algonquin Park is its history and (for the most part) by history I mean logging. Of course I visit Algonquin for the peace, the beauty, the adventure, the fishing, the self reliance, the  physicality etc... These are the reasons I love canoe tripping. You can get these qualities in lots of places, Algonquin, Temagami, Woodland Caribou, Labrador, the North West Territories...

Something unique about Algonquin and the whole Ottawa Valley is the very well documented history of logging and how it helped to shape and build this country. The 200 or so years of logging in APP and the mark it has made on the environment also make for a very unique recreational experience. These remanants of a bygone era can act as a goal or something to seek out on a trip. Heck, they can even make a trip possible as the machinations of logging can shape your passage through the environment.

Here are a few pictures of the roads and remnants that have added to some pretty cool trips.

Of course there are the Alligator's. A Canadian invention (from Simcoe I think). The self portaging boat (we seriously need to revisit this idea). This one is on Catfish Lake. Another can be found on Burntroot. I think you can find remains on Galeairy too. Some of the old time members here probably have pics of the one on Whitefish Lake.

A memorial on Radiant Lake. I'm not sure of the history behind this plaque. Who put it up? It commemorates the passing of 20 river men who drowned in the area before the rail lines were built. I would love to know more about this. 20 river men? Where does that number come from? Who were these people? Did it happen in one accident in 1916 or is it just a memorial to the log drivers who died over the years in this area.

Log chutes and dams. I haven't been tripping in the park long enough to have any really good pictures of these. They are all but gone. But their remains can still be found all around the park. This one at the entrance to Narrowbag lake is well known.

Loggers, dams and chutes need supplies and maintenance. Depot farms and cabins!

The Highview Cabin was a rangers cabin built from the remnants of a Booth Lumber Camp. Surrounding the cabin are long foundation humps in the ground, rusted sled rails and barrel rings. All that remains of earlier times.

The remains of a much older looking cabin at the Marshy Bay on Cedar Lake. Probably built for the dam keeper at the logging dam where the Nip enters Cedar.

Basin Depot the oldest building still standing in the park. A stopping place and Depot farm on the long road loggers walked each fall as they started their season of labor and life in the park.

Logging roads! They are what makes 'bushwacking' or travelling off government groomed routes so much easier.

Bushwhacking to off route lakes typically looks like this.

Finding a decommissioned road can make the walk so much easier.

I love looking at all the artifacts and possibilities in the park that are available to us because of its logging history. If you have anything you could share, I would love to hear your stories and see your pictures! 

6/17/2018 9:56 am  #2

Re: Logging and tripping!

This old road showed up on google but the page with thumbs didn't say where.

http://blog.dominik.ca/wp-content/gallery/algonquin-park-2010/blogpic_0011_10.jpg

PS.... also some illegal driving and camping TRs on APP logging roads on google but I'm not gonna post that here. 

Last edited by frozentripper (6/17/2018 10:17 am)

6/18/2018 6:12 am  #3

Great images and a nice collection that provides a glimpse of the past.  I'm always torn when it comes to seeing the footprint of man in remote places...balancing the historical value versus the lasting effects that we have on our environment is an important learning mechanism.  I do feel fortunate to have seen just a smidgen of those locations.  Great stuff!

6/25/2018 2:54 pm  #4

The Petawawa has a number of fine examples of log chutes and timber slides but my favourite is along the Gauthier dam portage on the Nippissing.  The trail runs along and at some points, inside a man-made channel, you have to be standing there to grasp the scale and the effort it must have taken to build it...

6/25/2018 3:30 pm  #5

Big channel expansion is visible at the outlet of St. Andrews as well.  The labor involved in all of those logging activities is stunning compared to today's mechanized standards.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.