You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2018 9:45 am  #409

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

sdmulto, almost everything you have contributed to this 400 post thread has been wrong, irrelevant or taken from others without acknowledging those sources. Not once have you had the humility to recognize this. Likewise your passive aggressive responses do not bring value to this long standing community. Maybe you should find something better to do.

5/11/2018 9:46 am  #410

Peek wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

Rob and Peek,

I mean no offence by this, but do you lads have anything better you could be doing other than scrutinizing blog posts at 1:23 am? Just a thought.

You must be high, cause I was fast asleep at 1:23am.. but keep trolling.. maybe you'll get a bite.

No actually I just had my morning coffee after I got a reply notice from Rob at 1:23 am . Also, wendigo lake is 18 km from Highway 17 and Brent Road is in fact 45 km long with no cell reception. Sorry I had to call you out man I'm sure you didn't appreciate that but that's the 2nd or 3rd pointless quoted reply I've gotten from you guys over the course of this blog so I was just wondering.

5/11/2018 9:49 am  #411

MartinG wrote:

sdmulto, almost everything you have contributed to this 400 post thread has been wrong, irrelevant or taken from others without acknowledging those sources. Not once have you had the humility to recognize this. Likewise your passive aggressive responses do not bring value to this long standing community. Maybe you should find something better to do.

I'm Sorry to hear that Martin. Yes my ice out predictions were in fact in correct !

5/11/2018 9:52 am  #412

Just a couple of comments on the park's web site.

1) News pages such as ice out conditions have an Updated line at the top but my impression is that it always indicates the page was last updated today when quite often it is clear that no actual changes have been made.
2) The site appears to be maintained by the Friends of Algonquin Park so it is conceivable that the staff working at the East Gate headquarters do not have any ability to change the content of the web site themselves.  This would go a long way to explaining why the web site, especially at this time of year, can be so badly out of sync with the current state that must surely be known to park staff.

5/11/2018 10:14 am  #413

MartinG wrote:

Now that ice out is upon us I think its time to bid farewell to this subject of discussion. I apologize to anyone who may disagree or who may have been offended or if my posts induced debate or argument. Hope everyone has an enjoyable paddling season!

Sean

5/11/2018 10:20 am  #414

sdmoulto wrote:

No actually I just had my morning coffee .

Seems like somebody might have slipped a hot Cosby in your coffee..

5/11/2018 10:26 am  #415

sdmoulto wrote:

Yes my ice out predictions were in fact in correct !

LOL okay now I know you're high.

5/11/2018 10:33 am  #416

Peek wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

Yes my ice out predictions were in fact in correct !

LOL okay now I know you're high.

Have a good season Peek! Best of luck !

Sean

5/11/2018 11:16 am  #417

Anyone know if Brent/Cedar Lake is open?? I couldn't get through on the Algonquin outfitters line and am hoping to head out for 3 days of fishing tomorrow morning.

5/11/2018 12:53 pm  #418

JB wrote:

Anyone know if Brent/Cedar Lake is open?? I couldn't get through on the Algonquin outfitters line and am hoping to head out for 3 days of fishing tomorrow morning.

The park site was just updated.  It looks like they did a flyover today.   Cedar Lake and Carl Wilson lake are reported to be ice covered and not passable by boat.  The east arm of Opeongo is still ice covered, however they are now issuing permits for other parts of the lake.

5/11/2018 2:34 pm  #419

Algonquin Park Update from the Friends of Algonquin: Opeongo's South and North Arm are officially open!  Its so hard not being allowed to announce information until it's "Official" sometimes.Facilities Now Open, With Some ExceptionsOntario Parks is reporting that they have opened all areas of Algonquin Park on Friday, May 11, 2018 as expected, except for a few areas listed below.

UPDATE - Closed Areas• Cedar Lake - ice covered, not passable by boat
• Carl Wilson Lake - ice covered, not passable by boat
• Lake Opeongo, East Arm - ice covered, not passable by boat (no backcountry permits for East Arm, permits available remainder of lake)Algonquin Park Canoe Routes - OpenMost Algonquin Park lakes are now open, but visitors should expect to be potentially re-routed due to lingering ice on some lakes and bays. Snow and ice in shaded areas may also be encountered on backcountry campsites.

Backpacking Trails - OpenSnow and ice in shaded areas will make travel potentially challenging on Algonquin Park's backpacking trails, and may be present on some campsites. Additionally, localized flooding is expected and may be unavoidable while navigating trails.

Campgrounds - OpenLocalized flooding, wet campsites and boil water advisories should be expected in Algonquin Park's developed campgrounds. Snow and ice in shaded areas may also be encountered on campsites and all Park facilities.
Park visitors requiring additional information may contact Algonquin Parkhttp://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php #AlgonquinPark #IceOut2018 #LakeOpeongo

Photos from the Friends of Algonquin Park Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/TheFriendsofAlgonquinPark/

=====================================================================================

MODIS Satillite Imagery from Friday May 11th 2018,   Ice can clearly be seen on some northern lakes like Cedar.
https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=g&page=1

Ice cover on the East Arm of Lake Opeongo in Algonquin Park on May 11, 2018. See important travel restrictions at http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Remaining ice on Lake Lavieille in Algonquin Park on May 11, 2018.

Looking north toward the ice cover on Cedar Lake in Algonquin Park on May 11, 2018.

Last edited by Algonquin Outfitters (5/11/2018 2:49 pm)

5/11/2018 3:47 pm  #420

Nice photos.  I even see the dreaded Unicorn Hill.

5/11/2018 3:50 pm  #421

I haven't read the entire thread.  Does anyone know the latest date that APP has opened in the past?  Was it later than May 15th? For me, this has been the latest opening date i can recall in almost 30 years. However, I've only entered the Park a handful of times in April.

5/11/2018 6:09 pm  #422

Swift Fifteen wrote:

I haven't read the entire thread.  Does anyone know the latest date that APP has opened in the past?  Was it later than May 15th? For me, this has been the latest opening date i can recall in almost 30 years. However, I've only entered the Park a handful of times in April.

Ha, yeah, I asked the same question a few (hundred) posts ago and apparently May 15 is the record.

5/11/2018 6:14 pm  #423

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Ha, yeah, I asked the same question a few (hundred) posts ago and apparently May 15 is the record.

I have talked to many people that say back in the day when trout was open you could get a permit and they didn't care how you got in there, ice or not. This was before you could even book by lake.

5/11/2018 6:24 pm  #424

ATVenture wrote:

I have talked to many people that say back in the day when trout was open you could get a permit and they didn't care how you got in there, ice or not. This was before you could even book by lake.

Yeah, this was before Ontario became a nanny state. Day by day we loose a little more freedom cause some moron does some moron-like activity and suddenly the powers that be say 'Well, we can't have this now can we - let's ruin it for everyone because of this one incident!'

It wasn't even a decade ago that 'ice out' became a permit-issuing problem, in fact I can narrow it down to Spring 2013 when John Winters retired (I think that was the first season since he retired, maybe second - and every year since then permits at ice out have been a total shit show.)

5/12/2018 8:17 am  #425

For those following this thread and interested in the Brent access point: I just got my permit to start from Cedar Lake! My route crosses Cedar to the Petawawa. Apparently only the western section of Cedar has ice. Can’t comment on Brent Road as I’m leaving the permit office now by Hwy 17. Good luck to everyone this week. Paddle On...

Live Outside
www.OutsidewithClyde.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.