You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2018 5:49 am  #375

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

I would also like everyone to know that I left with a few battle scars, known to most as mosquito bites. The bugs were out in small numbers but not biting... although a few did manage a nibble.

5/10/2018 6:43 am  #376

Thanks for the update AT, greatly appreciated hearing from you every year about Brent, makes me slightly less anxious then I normally am haha

Guess I'm heading up today then assuming the park doesn't back out of their informed and well thought out statement of opening for tomorrow.

Hope you all get out and get some sunshine and wet a line/paddle.

Cheers! 

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/10/2018 7:08 am  #377

ATVenture wrote:

I would also like everyone to know that I left with a few battle scars, known to most as mosquito bites. The bugs were out in small numbers but not biting... although a few did manage a nibble.

Damn, just when I was feeling confident about my no-mosquito-netting sleep system, you had to go and spoil it with that. 

​Love how AT is so determined to get us to 400 posts on this thread! Keep 'em coming!

5/10/2018 7:14 am  #378

Trillium16 wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Damn, just when I was feeling confident about my no-mosquito-netting sleep system, you had to go and spoil it with that. 

​Love how AT is so determined to get us to 400 posts on this thread! Keep 'em coming!

5/10/2018 11:37 am  #379

After the warm weather of the last few days, my expectation is that the rain and strong winds today (Brent forecast northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this afternoon and evening) will break up the remaining ice. 

5/10/2018 12:12 pm  #380

ATVenture wrote:

Trillium16 wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Damn that looks tasty.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

5/10/2018 12:26 pm  #381

Was Hardcore wrote:

Damn that looks tasty.

Especially as it is being cooked on a charcoal grill instead of propane grill!

5/10/2018 3:56 pm  #382

Park posted that all of Algonquin Park will open tomorrow except Opeongo.

No news on Cedar yet though?

5/10/2018 4:10 pm  #383

sdmoulto wrote:

all of Algonquin Park will open tomorrow except Opeongo

You answered your own question

5/10/2018 4:22 pm  #384

Peek wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

all of Algonquin Park will open tomorrow except Opeongo

You answered your own question

Brent is apart of Operations North, which is run out of the Pembroke District Office. It is a completely separate operation from Highway 60, Operations South which is where all information for the Algonquin Park Official Website is obtained. None of that information is any indication of Brent, Achray and Kiosk. Lake Opeongo still holds some ice, and Cedar had about the same amount of ice. So if Opeogno was delayed then Cedar is likely to hold ice still as well. See the possible issue?

5/10/2018 4:28 pm  #385

I could be wrong but I think you're over thinking it. If there were issues with Algonquin north, I doubt they'd say 'all except opeongo'.. they'd probably say all except opeongo and Algonquin North (or list more specific lakes) Given that 'All' is all encompassing, except for the exclusion (Opeongo) I think it's safe to take their statements at face value.

5/10/2018 4:39 pm  #386

Peek wrote:

I could be wrong but I think you're over thinking it. If there were issues with Algonquin north, I doubt they'd say 'all except opeongo'.. they'd probably say all except opeongo and Algonquin North (or list more specific lakes) Given that 'All' is all encompassing, except for the exclusion (Opeongo) I think it's safe to take their statements at face value.

Great news, Algonquin Outfitters reported a few minutes ago that Lake Opeongo is Ice Out. So Cedar must be as well. The park will likely open Opeongo any time now. 

Sean

5/10/2018 5:03 pm  #387

We're going to call it! Opeongo has experienced #IceOut2018 for our Ice Out Contest. Our Water Taxi was able to safely navigate from the Lake Opeongo Access Point to the Happy Isle Portage in the North Arm of Opeongo today. May 10th 2018.Note; this does not mean that Opeongo is open for reservations yet after yesterdays notice from Algonquin Park that Opeongo will remain closed until May 15th. We only announce this for our Ice Out Contest. See http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php for current information from Algonquin Park.

5/10/2018 5:05 pm  #388

Algonquin Outfitters wrote:

We're going to call it! Opeongo has experienced #IceOut2018 for our Ice Out Contest. Our Water Taxi was able to safely navigate from the Lake Opeongo Access Point to the Happy Isle Portage in the North Arm of Opeongo today. May 10th 2018.Note; this does not mean that Opeongo is open for reservations yet after yesterdays notice from Algonquin Park that Opeongo will remain closed until May 15th. We only announce this for our Ice Out Contest. See http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php for current information from Algonquin Park.

Hooray!

5/10/2018 5:18 pm  #389

Welp, that's a wrap on ice-out, 2018. Happy camping everyone. I hope I run into some of you out there, whether accidentally or on purpose!

5/10/2018 5:34 pm  #390

I'm already nostalgic for this thread even though the body is still warm. So my ice out prediction for next year is Tuesday May 7. You heard it here first!

Moonman.

5/10/2018 6:25 pm  #391

My only regret is that we didn’t get to 400 posts.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.