You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2018 6:28 am  #188

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

April 9/17 -

April 25/18
[img]https://i.imgur.com/1gyUQo7.jpg/img][/img]

Looking at my photos from last year on April 9th there were bays that were complately open on Kiosk and my dog was out swimming, yesterday I could walk out onto the ice from the same spots.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/25/2018 6:30 am)

4/25/2018 8:03 am  #189

Well that's discouraging. On the other hand, I'm now seeing 20+ degree temps predicted in the next week!

Last edited by Uppa (4/25/2018 8:38 am)

4/25/2018 8:33 am  #190

sdmoulto wrote:

Lake of Two Rivers could be opening up any day now and quickly, while Opeongo looks like it could be quite different by the weekend. Its going to be close folks!

Sean

You are really optimistic, there is two feet of ice on that lake and it is locked up to the shore. Conditions now are what they are in early April during a "normal" ice-out year.

4/25/2018 8:33 am  #191

Uppa wrote:

Well that's discouraging. On the other hand, I'm now see 20+ degree temps predicted in the next week!

Yesterday when i left Kiosk it was 21 degrees and overcast. On my hike back I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and was sweating by the time I got back to the car. At first I was really enjoying the warm weather, but when I started sweating I was thinking just a few degrees cooler would be nice. Haha

4/25/2018 8:47 am  #192

ATVenture wrote:

Yesterday when i left Kiosk it was 21 degrees and overcast. On my hike back I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and was sweating by the time I got back to the car. At first I was really enjoying the warm weather, but when I started sweating I was thinking just a few degrees cooler would be nice. Haha

I never know what weather I'm going to get on an ice-out trip, but "too hot" isn't ever the problem. This year, considering how late the ice is going off, it just might be!

4/25/2018 9:08 am  #193

What’s the latest the ice has ever gone out? This may be answered somewhere in this thread already, but I don’t want to scroll 12 pages worth of comments to find it.

4/25/2018 9:28 am  #194

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

What’s the latest the ice has ever gone out? This may be answered somewhere in this thread already, but I don’t want to scroll 12 pages worth of comments to find it.

Latest recorded ice out date for Opeongo is May 15th back in 1972. The available yearly records only go back to 1964. http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php The latest ice out date this century was May 6/7th in 2014.

4/25/2018 9:41 am  #195

AO_GordB wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

Lake of Two Rivers could be opening up any day now and quickly, while Opeongo looks like it could be quite different by the weekend. Its going to be close folks!

Sean

You are really optimistic, there is two feet of ice on that lake and it is locked up to the shore. Conditions now are what they are in early April during a "normal" ice-out year.

Have you seen the upcoming forecast ? There is potential for a lot to change in a very short period of time, no year is the same and you never know really ,again I will be in the park on Sunday and I'm pretty sure we're gunna have some more significant changes by then ! I'll have some pics to come Sunday !

Sean

4/25/2018 10:09 am  #196

I am going to be creek and stream fishing for natural brookies in Upper Ottawa Valley just near the Northeast End of the park as well usually have great action opening weekend hopefully will post some brookie pics this Sunday as well!

Sean

4/25/2018 10:25 am  #197

I too plan to be fishing on the weekend, but like I already said I will be probably be ice fishing in or close to the park.
If I'm really adventurous I MAY even pull my canoe behind my snowmobile down the Brent road and try and get into North River Lake.

I just took a drive around the outskirts of North Bay and the overnight rain did some erious damage. Even trout lake is starting to open on the shore in spots now and some small ponds on the side of the higway are open, but some are still white and snow covered.
I'll be going back out to Kiosk either tomorrow or Friday for another update.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/25/2018 10:27 am)

4/25/2018 3:09 pm  #198

Have you seen the upcoming forecast ? There is potential for a lot to change in a very short period of time, no year is the same and you never know really ,again I will be in the park on Sunday and I'm pretty sure we're gunna have some more significant changes by then ! I'll have some pics to come Sunday !
Sean

I sure have seen the weather forecast. I have also been watching the ice go out in Algonquin Park for over 25 years, and my colleague Jerry has over 30. A few days of hot weather will get things moving but not as dramatically as you might think. Then it cools down again. We really need warm rainy days to start breaking up the ice.

This is a good forecast. Check meteoblue.com for more.

4/25/2018 3:53 pm  #199

AO_GordB wrote:

Sean

I sure have seen the weather forecast. I have also been watching the ice go out in Algonquin Park for over 25 years, and my colleague Jerry has over 30. A few days of hot weather will get things moving but not as dramatically as you might think. Then it cools down again. We really need warm rainy days to start breaking up the ice.

This is a good forecast. Check meteoblue.com for more.

Gord,

I work within parks as well myself, and have lived, worked and cottage within the Ottawa Valley and Algonquin Park. Its an exciting but unsettled time of year! I am going to be doing some fishing/ driving through the corridor and northeast and around the Upper Ottawa Valley this weekend, and Im sure by this weekend we might be able to guess the ice out with more accuracy!

4/25/2018 6:13 pm  #200

I, and I’m sure others, appreciate the eyes-on reports that are being posted here. I can read the weather forecasts and check the park website but it’s the guys on the ground that tell what’s really going on in and around the park. Will keep checking back to see what you guys are seeing. Thanks!

4/25/2018 6:21 pm  #201

Reply 200! 

Last edited by MartinG (4/25/2018 6:21 pm)

4/25/2018 7:37 pm  #202

Sean thanks for sharing a couple of photos from my April Algonquin Park Ice Out report, the full report and dozens of other photos are located here http://algonquinoutfitters.com/algonquin-ice-out-april-2018/ for everyone to enjoy. 

sdmoulto wrote:

Top- Lake Opeongo April 24, 2018
Bottom - Lake of Two Rivers - April 24, 2018

Sean

4/25/2018 8:04 pm  #203

Kevin wrote:

I, and I’m sure others, appreciate the eyes-on reports that are being posted here. I can read the weather forecasts and check the park website but it’s the guys on the ground that tell what’s really going on in and around the park. Will keep checking back to see what you guys are seeing. Thanks!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks for the photos and ice depth checks etc... !!!

4/26/2018 8:34 am  #204

MartinG wrote:

Reply 200! 

I feel like we’re going to be at 300 before the ice actually goes out. If anyone needs me I’ll be on Opeongo with a hairdryer.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.