You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2018 7:37 pm  #18

Re: Clover Lake, Attempt #2

I've done 'the long way' from Opalescent to Carcajou Bay.  Opalescent to Cork isn't too bad.  The 2225m to length is pretty much all uphill, and if I remember correctly is steep in places.  The final portage down to St. Andrews is also quite steep at the end.  It's all doable, but be prepared for some climbing.  Once you hit St. Andrews, it's pretty much all paddling to Carcajou Bay.

Both sites on Cork are nice if you didn't want to spend two nights on Opalescent.  Both good lakes, but Cork quieter.

1/12/2018 5:39 am  #19

That's a terrific trip with all the East Side highlights (Barron Canyon, Carcajou Bay, High Falls) and hidden gems (Cork, Clover, Tarn, St. Francis). When are you going to go to High Falls then? On your long first day, or *after* you've climbed down from Marie? It's a bit of a detour either paddling up the toe of Stratton or scrambling over from High Falls Lake, and you'll want an hour or two for photos and exploring. Probably won't be swimming in May!

I really look forward to the video, and to AlgLakes' trip report.

Jealous,
Matt in Ottawa

1/12/2018 8:17 am  #20

UpTheCreek wrote:

I've done 'the long way' from Opalescent to Carcajou Bay.  Opalescent to Cork isn't too bad.  The 2225m to length is pretty much all uphill, and if I remember correctly is steep in places.  The final portage down to St. Andrews is also quite steep at the end.  It's all doable, but be prepared for some climbing.  Once you hit St. Andrews, it's pretty much all paddling to Carcajou Bay.

Both sites on Cork are nice if you didn't want to spend two nights on Opalescent.  Both good lakes, but Cork quieter.

Yeah, I might very well end up deciding that 'the long way' isn't worth it, although now you've got me thinking about spending a night on Cork, which would only make sense if it's Night 1, which would put me on that route the first day. That's about 3 1/2 hours total from the access point which is still perfectly reasonable. It looks like in that direction it will be a brutal climb up into Marie but then should be okay afterwards. 

MattJ wrote:

That's a terrific trip with all the East Side highlights (Barron Canyon, Carcajou Bay, High Falls) and hidden gems (Cork, Clover, Tarn, St. Francis). When are you going to go to High Falls then? On your long first day, or *after* you've climbed down from Marie? It's a bit of a detour either paddling up the toe of Stratton or scrambling over from High Falls Lake, and you'll want an hour or two for photos and exploring. Probably won't be swimming in May!

Your post is the other reason I'm now thinking about Cork for night 1, as that means I'll be taking the shorter route back from Opalescent on day 3 and will have time to check out High Falls, which I think otherwise maybe I won't. 

I usually swim on my ice-out trip each year as long as there's decent weather. Last year I couldn't (keeping warm was already a challenge dry!) so I'm definitely hoping for a chance to get in the water on this trip. 

1/12/2018 10:25 am  #21

Uppa,

"Unless ice-out is late I'll probably be there sooner than the 24th, but you never know."

One of the most scenic features, at least of me in that part of the park, and at that time of year in the east side pine and cliff country, is the pine and poplar dominated forest mosaic that becomes apparent as the poplars flower and start to green up. It's temperature-dependent and if it's a warm spring you could see this starting before the worst of the black flies... or not, but it depends on luck and timing to some extent. Still, very nice to paddle through and spend time exploring, with pretty good opportunities for photos.

See Bob and Diana McElroy's photos from McDonald lake off McDonald creek in early spring with some nice color starting to show... can't remember now whether there is largetooth aspen blooming, there are poplar stands greening up with bud break.

http://www.mcelroy.ca/bushlog/20080528.html

My photos are poorer quality, but largetooth aspens' bloom was peaking and great to bushwhack through. Largetooth aspen can be recognized by the rusty orange bark and the white blooms that speckle the trees for a brief period when buds are breaking. The first photo is close to Clover, with distant largetooth stands taking on a whitish cast... Clover lake out of sight just beyond the ridge. I was searching for the old road to Clover but never did find it... anyway, good luck and hopefully the black flies won't be there during a hot spell. 

There's a vulture riding a thermal below, but I was bushwhacking light with no heavy telephoto lens. The light green patches are trembling aspen, different in color from the white-blooming largetooth stands in the forest cover mosaic.

Last edited by frozentripper (1/12/2018 10:29 am)

1/12/2018 3:14 pm  #22

“Both sites on Cork are nice if you didn't want to spend two nights on Opalescent.  Both good lakes, but Cork quieter.“

I’ll add a vote for Cork. I loved that lake, really quiet with only two camp sites. I haven’t checked out the northernmost one, but I stayed on the southern one and it’s one of my favourite sites I’ve stayed on. Great swimming if the weather agrees and a nice view down the lake.

The portage from Cork to Length is pretty much entirely uphill and, if it’s wet, kinda brutal. Even if it’s not wet it’s not awesome.

1/12/2018 3:46 pm  #23

Sold. I'll stay on Cork night 1 then move on to Opalescent for the second night. I track my time in Algonquin by putting a pin in every lake I've ever camped on, so I'm always happy for an excuse to add another lake!

Edit: frozentripper, thanks for the info and pics. Really, really looking forward to seeing Clover. 

Last edited by Uppa (1/12/2018 3:47 pm)

1/12/2018 8:13 pm  #24

Since you are up for changing things, how about Opalescent - day trip through the canyon - bushwhack up Mulock Creek past the Turret - through Spoil to Cork!

1/12/2018 8:41 pm  #25

MartinG wrote:

Since you are up for changing things, how about Opalescent - day trip through the canyon - bushwhack up Mulock Creek past the Turret - through Spoil to Cork!

That sounds amazing! You do that and tell me all about it while I'm relaxing on my campsite. 

1/12/2018 11:26 pm  #26

1/15/2018 10:31 pm  #27

Uppa wrote:

Sold. I'll stay on Cork night 1 then move on to Opalescent for the second night. I track my time in Algonquin by putting a pin in every lake I've ever camped on, so I'm always happy for an excuse to add another lake!

Edit: frozentripper, thanks for the info and pics. Really, really looking forward to seeing Clover. 

What dates are you planning? I just booked on Opalescent for mid May for a few days, might cross paths at some point.

1/16/2018 6:02 pm  #28

mikey5290 wrote:

What dates are you planning? I just booked on Opalescent for mid May for a few days, might cross paths at some point.

Nothing planned yet. I might book something soonish just to have some theoretical dates set, but as I want to get out there long enough after ice-out to avoid the worst of the slop but soon enough to avoid bugs, the final dates probably won't be decided on until late April. 

I'm pretty sure I found your Opalescent dates - there aren't exactly many bookings yet! My guess is that I'll be through there at least a few days before you, but you never know. If I see anyone on Opalescent I'll swing by just in case, and if you see a green kayak you can safely assume it's me!

Last edited by Uppa (1/16/2018 6:06 pm)

1/25/2018 8:57 pm  #29

Booked! 

If anyone's interested in joining, message me and I'll give you the specifics. Back to staring at satellite imagery of the route!

Last edited by Uppa (1/26/2018 5:01 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.