You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2017 4:21 pm  #1

Dumb question time: Do you like this colour in a kayak?

So I'm thinking about replacing my Delta 16 with another Delta 16 (if anyone is curious I can explain, but otherwise just pretend there are good reasons). That would make it my third Delta and fourth kayak, and I like to get a new colour when I get a new boat. 

But there aren't usually that many options to choose from and Red, Yellow and Orange kayaks are everywhere so I'm not really a fan. That leaves me with lime green (which is my current boat's colour), white (meh...) and a new colour they just introduced... Azure Blue. Do I like it? I'm not... quite... sure. So I'm turning to the internet to help form an opinion because I don't know why, stop asking so many questions. 

Like, dislike, no strong opinions? 

11/22/2017 6:27 pm  #2

Re: Dumb question time: Do you like this colour in a kayak?

Love it. Have you thought of a folding kayak? 

And look how pretty it looks with a kayak sail :D 

Although you don't need a sail to... sail? 

Cheers :D
Marko

11/23/2017 8:07 am  #3

Not an biased response there, nosiree!

No, haven't considered a folding kayak. I'm super happy with my Delta, it's just gotten pretty beat up over the years. 

11/23/2017 1:27 pm  #4

Love it!  That must be brand new colour option, wasn't an option when I purchased a Delta in the summer...  Good for you for taking the time in choosing - I got a red one and kind of wish I went with the orange...

11/23/2017 3:24 pm  #5

You solicited this opinion so no tears when you read it:

I don't love it. It's too primary school blue. I'd prefer red or orange (even though you said you're not a fan). 

But, that being said, I don't hate it. If I saw it on the water, I would think nothing of its colour and simply think, "what type of crazy person trips in Algonquin in a kayak!?!"  

11/23/2017 4:04 pm  #6

Love it. Can't go wrong with a good solid blue. Particularly when the other options are either A) all over the place like the red/yellow/orange or B) not blue. I really like blue.

11/23/2017 4:36 pm  #7

@Ash: Another Delta owner - nice! Which model is that? It has no rudder but it looks too long to be any version that doesn't come with one. Is it a skeg version? I quite like skeg kayaks, but they make a mess of the rear dry hatch space so I stick with rudder. And yes, it's a brand new colour for Fall 2017. 

@CanoeClaire: I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want opinions, so thanks! But  yeah, I've owned two red kayaks, I'm not going to get another one. I do quite like their orange version, but the blue colour would definitely be far less common which I like - except of course Marko already swooped in and showed off the same colour boat, so maybe it's more common than I think!

@AlgonquinLakes: I'm not sensing a firm opinion here on the colour blue. You should try an analogy of some kind. 

11/23/2017 5:00 pm  #8

Hi Uppa! If you wanted unique, you could temporarily take off the cords and such, and take it into a bikers' paint shop and get a wildlife motif painted on part of the deck! .. or a hockey motif like a goalie's helmet! Just kidding!

11/23/2017 5:14 pm  #9

Uppa wrote:

@Ash: Another Delta owner - nice! Which model is that? It has no rudder but it looks too long to be any version that doesn't come with one. Is it a skeg version? I quite like skeg kayaks, but they make a mess of the rear dry hatch space so I stick with rudder. And yes, it's a brand new colour for Fall 2017. 

Yup, and I'm loving my Delta!  It's the 14 - I did a custom order without skeg/rudder...  From the conversations I had I bet they'd do other models without the rudder/skeg if one wanted, but not sure I'd do that if I got a much bigger boat...  I got without rudder/skeg as I'm a pretty minimalist backcountry'er - So if I can shave a gram off a portage the better!  Plus, I'm not sure I trust myself not snapping the rudder off when flipping boat for portage lol!

😄

11/24/2017 5:23 pm  #10

Uppa wrote:

That leaves me with lime green (which is my current boat's colour), white (meh...) and a new colour they just introduced... Azure Blue."

White meh?!?
Meh!!
$%&#!!!
Electric blue, I could see it for a rain coat but a boat.. pfffffttt

11/24/2017 5:58 pm  #11

@Barry: I've seriously considered that before. I did do a bit of custom paint work (myself) on my first Delta after it got scratched up enough I figured I couldn't make it any worse. I'd love to sand one down entirely and repaint it, but that's time I just don't have. 

@Ash: Nice! My rudder stays up I'd say... 95% of the time. But the other 5% I'm really happy I have it, so I don't think I'd be willing to go with a rudderless version, even though the weight savings would definitely be nice. I've thought about asking Delta if they offer a titanium or even aluminum version of their rudder (I'm guessing they don't) to shave a few grams off, however. 

@Martin: Don't you have a garage full of canoes? I could bash any colour in the rainbow and you probably have a boat or two to match. But yeah, white is just kind of... white. I mean I don't hate it, but... meh. 

11/24/2017 6:04 pm  #12

That's it, I'm gettin a white kayak!!

11/25/2017 9:45 am  #13

"I'm not sensing a firm opinion here on the colour blue."

Well, I have that same exact color combination on a WW kayak that I've had to look at for years and years and to this day, I regret not buying it in red. Blue, not easy on the eyes. As the German instructor from Madawaska Kanu Camp said... 

"Ja, zere iss only vun kolor for me and zat iss red". 

Lately rust orange has been looking good.

Good name to paint onto a death-defying WW kayak:

TITAN URANUS

:D

11/25/2017 1:29 pm  #14

Okay so here's the 'sunset orange' version. If you had to choose between blue and orange (which are really the only two colours I'll consider), which would it be?

11/25/2017 7:20 pm  #15

One vote for orange.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

11/26/2017 8:27 am  #16

Two votes for orange... more color in future vids and sunset orange photographed in sunset light will look especially vibrant. Warm and cheerful color too, it'll help keep the energy up next time going into Clover and Tarn, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Maybe some wintertime vids will help cheer the otherwise dreary winter, imagining how great that warm orange color will look with snow falling all around.... cheers!

11/26/2017 10:03 am  #17

Third vote for orange!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.