You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2015 7:53 am  #1

Low Water - Bonnechere Lake to Phipps Lake

Good morning!

Anybody gone from Bonnechere Lake to Phipps recently?
I'm heading that way in a couple of weeks and a heads up on the actual conditions would be reassuring!

If anyone has been from Head up the Creek and up the Madawaska to Cache I'd love to know what the water levels are looking like too!

Thank you!

9/18/2015 9:18 am  #2

Re: Low Water - Bonnechere Lake to Phipps Lake

I can't give you an eyewitness account, but note that per Jeff's map there's an optional extension to the Bonnechere-Phipps portage that bypasses the creek if it's impassible. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I also  wouldn't put too much stock in the low water advisories currently on the advisory map. They were all put there during the dry spell in early August and mostly never changed after that. I found good water levels in the pond between Ragged and Claude later in August about a week after the big storm, so I emailed the park and they removed the low water advisory. A few days later a couple of forum members found good water levels on the Petawawa between Misty and White Trout ( http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=562#p562 ) and one mentioned it verbally to park staff, but the advisory wasn't removed, so I guess information can't transfer between spoken and electronic formats. And just now tentsforever reported great water levels on the Tim River above Rosebary ( http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1034#p1034 ). So the advisories seem pretty out of date. Go have fun.

9/18/2015 3:56 pm  #3

I'm heading to Bonnechere next week and I'll try and take a look see for you.

9/18/2015 5:54 pm  #4

Phipps to Bonnechere is currently a low water swamp you will portage the whole thing.

9/18/2015 8:51 pm  #5

Thanks guys!!

9/27/2015 8:11 pm  #6

Here's some pics of the portage on Friday. Not alot of water to float a boat.

The put in is in the lower right but Phipps is in the upper left of the pic.

Last edited by Treater (9/27/2015 8:13 pm)

9/28/2015 7:33 am  #7

Thank you for the pictures!!

I can not wait to get back to AP!!!!!!

9/28/2015 7:22 pm  #8

I stayed on Pardee last night, but I came from Lawrence, not Phipps.  But, I did travel Head Creek and Madawaska up to Cache this afternoon, and water levels were fine.  You will get LOTS of beaver dam practice!

9/29/2015 1:32 pm  #9

Looking forward to it!! hahah

Thanks for the photo!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.