You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2017 7:33 am  #1

How do ya portage that?

I've been looking at solo canoes for the past several months.  (amongst people who are not my wife I refer to this as expanding the fleet).  The front runner to me at present is the Merrimack Baboosi.  14', 40 pounds.  I know it is possible to get a lot lighter than that to really get into single carry portage territory, but I've had a Merrimack tandem for a long time and really enjoy it, so I'll admit to feeling some partiality in that direction.  I've got plenty of time to flip-flop about that as I save my pennies though, and it isn't like used Merrimack Baboosi's show up every day to tempt me in the immediate future.

The thing is, that the Baboosi, like a lot of solo canoes, doesn't have a center thwart, which makes sense due to the position of the seat.  So....how do you portage a boat like that?  Do you go old school and tie a couple paddles in?  Fashion something that is detachable (like I need something else to carry around....)?  Maybe the idea is one of those deals that goes on your shoulders above your backpack somehow?   

10/25/2017 9:48 am  #2

Re: How do ya portage that?

You would generally purchase a detachable yoke to go with your solo boat.  It is a bit of a pain to have to attach and detach it for every portage and remembering to bring it along with you, but it certainly works better than the alternatives.

10/25/2017 11:49 am  #3

I believe a Tumpline is an option.  I have not used one myself but have read about them on the forum.

10/25/2017 1:58 pm  #4

I've always got a removable yoke when I solo. It's not REALLY something else to carry around cuz you're using it to the carry the boat when portaging and otherwise it sits in the bottom of the boat.

One thing to consider, if you have a backpacking style pack that comes up high over your shoulders, it can be hard to single carry. The yoke doesn't leave much space between the seat to fit the top of the pack in. You can move the yoke further forward but then it doesn't balance well. 

10/25/2017 3:10 pm  #5

I'm just glad the word yolk didn't make it into this thread.  Hate that.

10/25/2017 4:27 pm  #6

Thanks so much for the replies everybody.  Much appreciated.  Eggspecially you, PaPaddler....

10/25/2017 7:55 pm  #7

Yeah you would need a solo yoke. I would get one from the company that makes your canoe. Which brings up another point. I don't know if you can get a Baboosic today. At least I don't know if you can get a new one. I think the Merrimack canoe people retired. 

10/26/2017 7:07 am  #8

Looks like Sanborn canoe bought the molds. The Merrimack Baboosic is now the Sanborn Bradley Nyborg. 

10/26/2017 8:02 am  #9

Thank you very much, Martin - I really appreciate that.  I knew there had been sales, etc., it looks like I just wasn't as up to speed as I thought!

10/30/2017 1:03 pm  #10

At the risk of boring everybody, I looked into the Sanborn/Merrimack thing a bit, and wrote to them with a few questions.  So, in case anybody is interested: 

Merrimack remains an entity that makes the standard line of Merrimack canoes, to include the Baboosic, in their traditional colors (red/maroon, green, blue, off white - I think all four look great).  They also make the Sanborn line of canoes, which I think means they are using the same Merrimack molds for the Sanborn boats, maybe there are one or two different molds, I'm not sure.  Sanborn boats have a few custom features like cane seats rather than the traditional Merrimack seats, and it looks like they have a whole different paint scheme.  Their version of the Baboosic is indeed the Bradley Nyborg by the way.   The Merrimack also has rings on the bow and stern.  I don't know if that is a vintage feature that has been restored or something entirely new.  My 1993 Merrimack does not have them.  I have mixed feelings about that.  I don't want to hear them bonking around, and I worry that using them to tie down on the car could wear the Kevlar a bit, but at the same time it would be undeniably handy.  Lastly, and most important to the original purpose of this post, they are working on a couple of designs for detachable yokes for the Baboosic.

10/31/2017 12:50 pm  #11

PaPaddler wrote:

I'm just glad the word yolk didn't make it into this thread.  Hate that.

Agreed, the yolk is the worst part of the egg. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.