You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2017 1:20 pm  #1

Camp Chairs

I'm looking for a new camp chair, I like the look of the Helinox chair but haven't tried one yet. I did read some comments from other users about the legs sinking in the ground.

I just wanted to hear some feed back before I make the purchase, maybe there are some other ones I can look at as well.

Thanks

8/15/2017 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Camp Chairs

Hi Abe,

My wife and I have the Helinox Chair one camp chairs - they are really awesome and it's one of those pieces of gear that I hate to leave at home unless I am really going lightweight. They are definitely worth the price. They are super comfortable and a real luxury in the wild. A friend of mine had the Alite Mantis chair and the leg broke on it only after a couple of uses and he's not a heavy guy (~200 lbs.)

8/15/2017 2:14 pm  #3

Thanks PB

I'm glad that I posted my inquiry because I was looking at a Mantis chair, its one thing to carry around a camping chair but its no fun carrying around a broken one.

Thanks for the heads up

8/15/2017 3:04 pm  #4

Abe,

There is lots of information in this previous thread:
http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=981

Cheers.

8/15/2017 7:08 pm  #5

Thanks breed85
I do remember seeing that thread now that you bring to my attention.

8/15/2017 8:58 pm  #6

I was just given a "SAIL Camp Chair" as a gift last weekend, and I plan on bringing it with me on a trip this weekend.

https://www.sail.ca/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=sail+camp+chair

It's the one that's $59.99 (the actual link for that chair isn't working for me for some reason).

It's about half the price of the Helinox Chair, and has a mesh cup holder as well. Weighs in just a couple grams over 2lbs. I think it's only 250lbs though - I'm a small guy so not even a second thought for me, but if you're on the bigger side it might be a factor.

I can let you know what I think about it after my trip this weekend if you want

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/16/2017 1:09 am  #7

I've seen three knock offs fail during trips in the time that I've had my Helinox and all were purchased after the Helinox.  If the legs start to sink you can put a piece of birch bark under the feet. 

8/16/2017 6:29 am  #8

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

I've seen three knock offs fail during trips in the time that I've had my Helinox and all were purchased after the Helinox.  If the legs start to sink you can put a piece of birch bark under the feet. 

That's an ingenious solution to the leg sinking problem, Chuck! I'm looking forward to using the Helinox Chair One I got for Christmas when I take it backpacking on the Highland Trail in September.

Tracy

Last edited by Blobsquatch (8/16/2017 6:30 am)

8/16/2017 7:07 am  #9

I ordered a similar one on amazon for a fraction of the price.  It was like 29.99 or 32.99, around there.

8/16/2017 7:45 am  #10

The helinox chairs are great, no doubt.  But they are pricey.

I bought a sail-branded knockoff.  Looks like it is constructed in the same way as the helinox, and is similarly light.  I think I paid $40 on sale (a year or two ago).  It's been holding up just fine.  I weigh 180lbs.

8/16/2017 9:00 am  #11

We have had 2 of these for the past three years.  They are holding up great.  When they are on sale they go for $9.99.  This model is for under 225lbs, the ones we have are for under 300lbs. (Just can't find the link to that one)  The only difference I see between the two is the one for under 300 lbs is a bit wider and seems to be built out of a little stronger material in the legs.  https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/compaclite-smart-deluxe-mesh-beach-chair/6000195939044.  Were are both over 200 lbs to give you an idea of weight.

8/16/2017 10:28 am  #12

Well I went to Sail in Burlington last night and was hoping to check out the Sail Version of the Helonix chair as well as the Helonix to do a comparison, unfortunately they are pretty much sold out of all their chairs. So I bought a hammock instead!!

8/16/2017 1:05 pm  #13

I'll provide an update given on the last thread I was pushing the cheaper amazon option over the pricier Chair One.

Both my friend and I bought the SunVP ones on amazon at a fraction of the price. I've since used mine on 4 interior trips and the fabric at the pole slots is shredding. By buddy has used his on two, and the fabric at the mesh is starting to shred.

They are cheaper for sure - but don't expect them to last longer than a season, if that.

I'll most likely pony up for a Helinox one as soon at mine officially gets put to rest.

8/17/2017 8:41 am  #14

basilthegood wrote:

I'll provide an update given on the last thread I was pushing the cheaper amazon option over the pricier Chair One.

Both my friend and I bought the SunVP ones on amazon at a fraction of the price. I've since used mine on 4 interior trips and the fabric at the pole slots is shredding. By buddy has used his on two, and the fabric at the mesh is starting to shred.

They are cheaper for sure - but don't expect them to last longer than a season, if that.

I'll most likely pony up for a Helinox one as soon at mine officially gets put to rest.

I was thinking the same thing.  I usually go into the park only twice a year for 3 nights each trip.  I am hoping my cheaper amazon chair lasts two years.  Id be happy with it if it can.

8/17/2017 9:00 am  #15

vanslyke wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I usually go into the park only twice a year for 3 nights each trip. I am hoping my cheaper amazon chair lasts two years. Id be happy with it if it can.

Honestly, it'll probably be sufficient for your needs. I've sat in friends Helinox chairs and I will say they are more comfortable, but for the price, you just need to asses your needs.

Most should also note to check the weight capacity of each. The amazon one is way less. My gf's bro went to order one and caught that before hand. He ended up buying a McKinley one instead. Price point in the middle of the two, but very comfy.

8/17/2017 10:40 am  #16

I've got a monarch brand chair, from MEC, which I don't like as I've got to do a balancing act.
Used it a few times. Great quality, great shape.clean. Looking to sell it. $30.00
I Can't figure out how to get a link on here. ( sorry I'm old) but a quick Google search under monarch camping chair will bring the website up quickly.

8/17/2017 12:25 pm  #17

I have a GCI chair. Some people probably know them as the company that make the green and grey "canoe chairs" that attach to a canoe seat.

Its a low sitting chair with an adjustable back. The back and seat are adjustable so you can make it have a very straight back unlike most camp chairs that have as much back support as a hammock. I love it.
Its down side is that if you have a hard time getting up, its pretty low to the ground.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/recliners/everywhere-chair-hillside-adjustable-chair/

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.