You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2017 5:45 pm  #1

Helinox One chair

Hi all - I am planning for my May trip (May 8th departure) and we'll be doing the 2.9km portage between Manitou to Three Mile.  I always bring a chair, usually a $7 accordion-type from CDN tire, heavy, bulky and never really stays closed properly, but I've always persevered.   This year I am looking to trim weight (equipment…still working on me) and space and I am thinking about buying the Helinox One chair.  Most reviews are very positive, but some are quite scathing.  I am particularly interested in whether the legs sink in on a "typical" AP site.  Not a beach site, I realize these chairs are not for beaches.  Also - what about the central plastic "hub"  is this thing sturdy?  I don't come near the max weight, but I'm no delicate flower either.  If I outlay that cash for a chair, I want it to hold up.

Thanks all.

3/27/2017 5:59 pm  #2

Re: Helinox One chair

The Joey Chair by Travel Chair redesigned their feet to deal with the sinking into sand or soft soil issue.

They work better in my opinion

Last edited by ShawnD (3/27/2017 6:07 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/27/2017 6:13 pm  #3

Been using a Helinox for years and really wished I had bought one sooner.
Yes they will sink into beach sand easier than you thought but most of the sites in Algonquin are pretty packed down and I have had no problems there.
With normal use I would not worry about the plastic hub, these things are rated at 350Lbs where most of the full sized chairs max out at 250Lbbs and some less.
The feet will fall off and the manufacturer will  be absolutely no help in replacing it.
Some glue them on and after the first season, most people go with tennis balls. I found some in the pet department that are slightly smaller than normal. cut an "X" in them with a sharp knife large enough to slip over the feet and sinking will never be a problem again, including sitting down on the beach with your morning coffee and they store in the same bag.
The mesh back is great for ventilation and keeping cool but lousy for protection from the bugs when leaning back against it. In the evening I just use a jacket or an extra t shirt as a barrier.
One more thing, when sitting they are a decent height for cooking over a stove on the ground.

3/27/2017 7:54 pm  #4

I purchased a non branded version of the helinox one from aliexpress.
A few cents less than $35 shipping included.
I ordered it 2 weeks ago and it ended up being shipped from the netherlands and not china which I found odd.
I actually had the parcel tag on my door today to go to the post office to pick it up.
No idea of quality, but can let you know my initial thoughts after unpacking it.
I had same concerns regarding sand as you did but I'm sure I will be able to problem solve that prior to the next trip, if it turns out to be an issue.

Last edited by breed85 (3/27/2017 7:55 pm)

3/28/2017 5:37 am  #5

Two thoughts for you:
- I've heard about people using split tennis balls to keep the feet from sinking into sand. 
- If you buy it from MEC and are not happy with it or it breaks, take it back for a full refund.

Good luck. I got one for Christmas and intend to take it backpacking this year.

3/28/2017 6:46 am  #6

I would add that I own a few helinox pieces ( not a chair) Their fit and finish is a little higher but you pay some for it.

There are about 5 or 6 companies now that make almost the same chair and durability of most of those seems similar IMO. If you are set on helinox I would consider other chairs in the line as well. Chair zero saves considerable weight if weight is your biggest concern. If comfort is more important the chair two is wider with a high back. Weighs a little more though.

If you buy a helinox and find it is sinking in to the ground too much , the feet on the Joey Chair I pictured above can be purchased separately and I'm almost positive they would fit on a Helinox chair one.

Last edited by ShawnD (3/28/2017 7:22 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/28/2017 9:11 am  #7

Helinox Chair One - 900g - $116
Sunvp - 898g - $43

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Ultralight-Adjustable-Carrying-Capacity/dp/B01HEQX1EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490709961&sr=8-1&keywords=helinox%2Bchair%2Bone&th=1

As much as I wanted a chair one, not justifiable compared to the alternatives. Having a chair of the like though is a total game changer. 

3/28/2017 3:15 pm  #8

Might as well call it the Helinox virus as the chair has spread to pretty much everyone I have camped with over the years. I'm sure there are similar designs out there now but the Chair One has been used extensively for many years, on many trips and it shows zero signs of wear & tear. 

3/28/2017 3:37 pm  #9

I concur with RCSpartan...the Helinox Chair One is durable and can take the weight.  It never misses a trip and I also use it for "in-town" activities too.  Yes, it's on the pricier side but it's proven its worth in my opinion.

3/28/2017 3:53 pm  #10

RPDUKE wrote:

I concur with RCSpartan...the Helinox Chair One is durable and can take the weight.  It never misses a trip and I also use it for "in-town" activities too.  Yes, it's on the pricier side but it's proven its worth in my opinion.

I'll have to see how the alternative holds up this year. Won't be an expensive experiment. 

3/28/2017 6:49 pm  #11

Blobsquatch wrote:

- I've heard about people using split tennis balls to keep the feet from sinking into sand..

Practice golfballs do the same thing at a fraction of the size and weight

Last edited by MartinG (3/28/2017 6:50 pm)

3/28/2017 8:49 pm  #12

Thanks everyone for your input - I will have a look at some of the other products.  However my experience is that usually the "name brand" is the best.  And when in the back country, I like things to work as advertised, otherwise I end up hauling broken junk out of the back country.  Good call on the practise golf balls!  I can't help but feel that the tennis balls are just too big for the purpose.

3/28/2017 10:29 pm  #13

Where can you buy those practice golf balls?

3/29/2017 7:43 pm  #14

Rockwater design's Nano ultralight chair......same as the helinox but $50 cheaper, check the ends, the newer models of these chairs have wider feet to deal with the digging in and some of the ones I have (I now have several) came with a proper nylon? back, instead of the mesh so the bugs aren't eating you as much.  In my experience there's lots of options and inevitably everyone around you will want one, hence the cheaper the better....

3/29/2017 7:45 pm  #15

....I should also add that you can't put a price on a camp chair that allows you to relax your back and recline, this style of chair has been a game changer!

3/29/2017 8:49 pm  #16

Methye wrote:

Where can you buy those practice golf balls?

Canadian Tire. Might be seasonal.

3/30/2017 8:10 am  #17

I've never even considered taking a chair into the backcountry. What's wrong with a perfectly good rock?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.