You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2017 7:08 pm  #18

Re: Day 1 Trip Video up - Magnetawan to Rosebary

Great video Bob!!! I loved the paddling David Creek bit. I also think you should get a canoe. I know I know. Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking, you know, maybe a canoe. I'll lend you mine if you want. 

Last edited by MartinG (7/12/2017 8:28 pm)

7/12/2017 8:20 pm  #19

Great video!  Yikes!  You haven't seemed to have the best luck with your trips this year...😬

I think that's a great reminder for us all to be doublely sure not to lock keys in car at access points!  Hope the repair bill wasn't too bad for you...  Regardless, looks as though you still had a good trip all in all, think most of us have had a 'hiccup' or two in the park - Really all boils down to a good mindset some days...

While not in the park - One day some friends and I were kayaking a river, leaving 1 car upstream, and the other at our take out point - Wasn't until we got to our take out point we realized we left the take out point's car keys upstream in the other car...😡  Luckily a couple had pity on my friends after trying to hitch hike for 10 minutes...  Could have been a long walk lol!

Thanks for posting 😄

7/13/2017 6:54 am  #20

That is a well made and entertaining video. Respect for tripping like you do in a kayak.
I have to admit, I was laughing out loud at the window scenes and made my wife watch the first few minutes. Out of fear, I do what Peek does and always crack a window, even when it buggy or raining and my wife is questioning my sanity.
Too bad about the garbage. Rosebary is a beautiful lake but it's one long portage too close to Tim River to keep out the disrespectful.

7/13/2017 7:31 am  #21

@Andy: Thanks. The moose definitely helped my mood, but I confess I never quite shook off the broken window incident during the trip. I ended up coming out early in order to deal with it before I had to go back to work (except it's still not fixed anyway, but that's a different story). We may not have been on the same Rosebary site, as I saw no antlers or snake, and it wasn't really sloped. 

@Martin: Glad you enjoyed it and you know what? You've talked me into it - I'm giving up my kayak and becoming a canoe tripper. 

Oh... wait. I just checked and "canoecamper.com" isn't available. Guess I'll stick with the kayak ;)

@Ash: Yep, not a lucky year for me so far! I mentioned in the video that I'd best stop making stupid mistakes or  people are going to think that's the norm. 

@My Self Reliance: That means a lot coming from you - thanks. And yeah, my one concern about this particular route was Rosebary. I'd never been and wanted to spend a night, but as a general rule I'm quite averse to spending time on any 'easy access' lake. I prefer the harder to get to spots where usually (but not always) the people who stay there have more respect - if only because they don't want to carry a dozen cans that far and so leave them at home!

7/13/2017 10:42 am  #22

7/13/2017 11:13 am  #23

Wanna come paddling with me and see how well you manage to keep up? ;)

Or hell, let's do the Brent run - me in a kayak, you in a canoe. Loser has to switch camps. 

7/13/2017 1:21 pm  #24

Hmmm I do like that Delta 16. This could be a win win for both of us! You get to go on another trip! I get a new boat! 

7/13/2017 1:40 pm  #25

Awesome video!  Glad to see you were able to keep your spirits up throughout some tough situations and circumstances...  Were you worried about your vehicle being left in that state while you were out on your trip?

I came back to my vehicle once at that same put-in spot in late October only to find my battery was totally dead.  I was super lucky though that there was one other vehicle at the put in spot and the people happened to be there at that exact time and had cables.  Would have been a long walk out!

7/16/2017 2:18 pm  #26

Uppa wrote:

@breed85: If you end up lugging out that garbage that would be amazing. Let me know if you find it still there. You can't miss it if you set foot on that campsite.

Unfortunately the site was occupied. Hopefully someone has already taken it out.

7/21/2017 10:27 am  #27

How much longer are we going to have to wait for the day 2 video?

7/27/2017 11:27 am  #28

@Steve: Thanks! No, I wasn't worried about anything in the car... anything of value was with me on my camping trip. If a thief wanted to rummage through my glove compartment they were welcome to. 

@breed85: at least you tried. Hopefully someone else has lugged that crap out by now. 

@RC: I didn't even see this post until now. What happened is that I started working on it (about 10 minutes done) but was really not liking how it was coming together and decided I needed to start over... which promptly made me lose all momentum. I'm heading into the park again on Tuesday but I'll try to get it done and published before I go. 

Last edited by Uppa (7/27/2017 11:28 am)

7/27/2017 2:08 pm  #29

That was by far the best opening to a trip video I've ever seen. Now to go watch the rest

7/27/2017 3:32 pm  #30

Watched the rest and loved it. We seem to have similar route plans this year, I'm heading up that way in just over a week. Glad to get a preview of David's Creek, and now I know not to turn around at the logs. Can't wait to see day two.

7/28/2017 11:10 am  #31

The second and final trip video is uploading now - will make a new post once it's published.  RC, If it weren't for your post I may never have finished it so hopefully you enjoy it!

@AlgonquinLakes: Thanks! David Creek was really nice, and that 3.5 k low maintenance portage - aside from the creek running through it - is a dream. It was once a logging road so it's flat and level and a super easy walk. There are a couple places whether other former logging roads intersect it, so about the only trick is making sure to stay on the right path. 

7/29/2017 10:57 am  #32

That's really good to know. I've been dreading that portage. Now I can get back to just worrying about the Stag to Tim River trail.

Also, I forgot to mention this earlier, but I can't  believe that I get a pebble in my windshield and end up with a crack as long as the San Andreas fault line and you threw a boulder at your back window and it bounced off.

7/29/2017 1:01 pm  #33

Yeah, the portage is a cakewalk. I was seriously tempted to jog some of it because it's so smooth. It's got knee-high growth along the majority of it, so you might want to wear hiking pants just in case of ticks. There was a single blowdown I couldn't just step over. 

All about application of force to a small enough area! If I'd been smart I would have set the tip of my knife against the window and tapped it with a rock, rather than whip a friggen boulder at it. But I hear you - I've replaced the windshield on that car not once but twice. In both cases I could actually watch the initial stone chip grow into a crack that stretched half my windshield. 

Enjoy your trip!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.