You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2018 6:49 pm  #392

Re: 2018 Ice Out Predictions?

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

My only regret is that we didn’t get to 400 posts.

There is still time.

The park is in denial of our water taxi mission. From the Ice Conditions page:

Image: Lake Opeongo Access Point in Algonquin Park on May 10, 2018 (click to enlarge). Algonquin Outfitters water taxi returning from an unsuccessful morning trip to the north end of the lake. Ice was encountered in Lake Opeongo just north of Bates Island (see the Canoe Routes Map for location).

5/10/2018 8:26 pm  #393

I will add my post to the number , heading in Sunday for a 5 day solo ...can't wait ....happy tripping to all

5/10/2018 8:30 pm  #394

Gord Baker wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

My only regret is that we didn’t get to 400 posts.

There is still time.

The park is in denial of our water taxi mission. From the Ice Conditions page:

Image: Lake Opeongo Access Point in Algonquin Park on May 10, 2018 (click to enlarge). Algonquin Outfitters water taxi returning from an unsuccessful morning trip to the north end of the lake. Ice was encountered in Lake Opeongo just north of Bates Island (see the Canoe Routes Map for location).

That's hilarious, they didn't ask you what you found eh?

(Also doing my part to get to 400).

5/10/2018 10:23 pm  #395

Speaking of #iceout... for the contest, when do we find  out the winner (I did guess May 10th, I think)?

M

5/10/2018 11:49 pm  #396

ATVenture wrote:

Well I just brought home two fresh Algonquin Specks for supper tonight! I wonder if I'm the first of the year haha
I caught 8-10 of them but I took two injured ones

Funny, I never get any of the "where in Algonquin" answers.  But show me a pic of a brooky and some grass and I'm like "I know that spot" lol.   

NIce going ATVi

5/11/2018 1:23 am  #397

sdmoulto wrote:

Anyone with any news on Brent-Cedar Lake? As of last Sunday (6th of May) the Brent Office says they are planning on opening for May 11 this Friday. 

What makes no sense, is that Opeongo was delayed till the 15th today when in fact Opeongo is further ahead with less ice then Cedar?? But no delay or news on Cedar? What??

Maybe I am missing something here but why stress out over this?
You appear to have a decent working of how the Park works and I believe you mentioned that you work within the Park and have friends that work at the Brent Office so why not just pick up the phone or fire of an email and get the information straight from the source?

On an side note, Peek I had such high hopes for you buddy

400 posts no problem, I say at least 450 

5/11/2018 5:47 am  #398

#398- We are excited to head out on Tuesday with my new Langford Prospector. Out for five nights out of Kiosk. I've thoroughly enjoyed this countdown to ice-out Christmas and appreciate everyone who has contributed. Hoping for lots of fish, moose, and ice for the bourbon. See you out there. Also- I think we should let ATVenture have #400. 

5/11/2018 5:58 am  #399

399- My speckled senses are tingling now can't wait for next week.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

5/11/2018 6:10 am  #400

AAAAnnnnd....400.

5/11/2018 6:33 am  #401

Rob wrote:

On an side note, Peek I had such high hopes for you buddy.

I tried lol

5/11/2018 7:01 am  #402

Wendigo Lake is still iced up!

5/11/2018 8:44 am  #403

Rob wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

Anyone with any news on Brent-Cedar Lake? As of last Sunday (6th of May) the Brent Office says they are planning on opening for May 11 this Friday. 

What makes no sense, is that Opeongo was delayed till the 15th today when in fact Opeongo is further ahead with less ice then Cedar?? But no delay or news on Cedar? What??

Maybe I am missing something here but why stress out over this?

You appear to have a decent working of how the Park works and I believe you mentioned that you work within the Park and have friends that work at the Brent Office so why not just pick up the phone or fire of an email and get the information straight from the source?

On an side note, Peek I had such high hopes for you buddy

400 posts no problem, I say at least 450 

Notice the last post saying Wendigo is iced up. That's why I was worrying. The Brent permit office doesn't have a public phone number or any cell phone reception on a regular basis. I called their interior Warden but he is in the bush well out of service most days. Brent has a lot different weather sometimes than the rest of the park and the melt is a different pace. As you just heard even a smaller lake such as wendigo still has ice on the Brent road, but it's hard to get updates from them due to the lack of phone reception.Just trying to help out "buddy" .

5/11/2018 9:03 am  #404

sdmoulto wrote:

The Brent permit office doesn't have a public phone number or any cell phone reception on a regular basis.

A massive cell tower was installed on the Brent road in 2016 (or 15?). There is plenty of consistent cell reception (maybe subject to carrier?) all the way down Brent road to the Wendigo cut off. You can't miss it when driving by - it's huge!

5/11/2018 9:26 am  #405

Peek wrote:

sdmoulto wrote:

The Brent permit office doesn't have a public phone number or any cell phone reception on a regular basis.

A massive cell tower was installed on the Brent road in 2016 (or 15?). There is plenty of consistent cell reception (maybe subject to carrier?) all the way down Brent road to the Wendigo cut off. You can't miss it when driving by - it's huge!

Like I just said, the Brent Permit Office which would be the only option to contact other then the interior Warden, Doesn't have a public phone number. Ask them next time you stop in, they cannot disclose that phone number to any member of the public, only to their district staff. Also wendigo lake is 18km in on a 45 km road, good luck making a consistent phone call on that road, give it a try !

5/11/2018 9:35 am  #406

Rob and Peek,

I mean no offence by this, but do you lads have anything better you could be doing other than scrutinizing blog posts at 1:23 am? Just a thought.

5/11/2018 9:39 am  #407

sdmoulto wrote:

Also wendigo lake is 18km in on a 45 km road, good luck making a consistent phone call on that road, give it a try !

Are you high? Cause you seem high.

5/11/2018 9:40 am  #408

sdmoulto wrote:

Rob and Peek,

I mean no offence by this, but do you lads have anything better you could be doing other than scrutinizing blog posts at 1:23 am? Just a thought.

You must be high, cause I was fast asleep at 1:23am.. but keep trolling.. maybe you'll get a bite.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.