2018 Ice Out Predictions?

Skip to: New Posts  Last Post
Page:  Next »
Posted by breed85
4/18/2018 7:52 am
#154

andrewr0520 wrote:

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Rain Lake Access was delayed, and I had made 2 or 3 changes prior to the date. They fully refunded me everything, and then I just re-booked at the park for the East Gate access. 

FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Weird. I remember they contacted me last year, maybe that's the difference? I just got an email yesterday that my May 3-6 trip this year has been cancelled. I'm gonna call to get a refund, and wait and see what the weather does before re-booking. 
 

I got that email yesterday as well.
That's why I called in this morning.

 
Posted by andrewr0520
4/18/2018 8:37 am
#155

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

breed85 wrote:


FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

Yeah maybe I got lucky last year? I hadn't expected them to refund the reservation changes, but they just did it. 
Weird. I remember they contacted me last year, maybe that's the difference? I just got an email yesterday that my May 3-6 trip this year has been cancelled. I'm gonna call to get a refund, and wait and see what the weather does before re-booking. 
 

I got that email yesterday as well.
That's why I called in this morning.

 

 
Posted by Peek
4/18/2018 1:02 pm
#156
Posted by Peek
4/18/2018 7:17 pm
#157

Okay guys, jokes aside here is a photo of an area South of most of Algonquin, but North of HWY 60. This photo was taken this afternoon:

Last edited by Peek (4/18/2018 7:18 pm)

 
Posted by Chuck Enwinde
4/19/2018 12:47 am
#158

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.  I think I'll head up and poke some holes this weekend to see how much ice is left on the smaller lakes.  

 
Posted by ATVenture
4/19/2018 6:57 am
#159

Peek wrote:

Okay guys, jokes aside here is a photo of an area South of most of Algonquin, but North of HWY 60. This photo was taken this afternoon:

Crazy! It looks like I should be going down that way for some late season snowmobile riding!
 

 
Posted by Uppa
4/19/2018 7:23 am
#160

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.   

Yes, I think Spring has finally arrived. A long way to go until ice-out, but at least the ice will be heading in the right direction!

 
Posted by ATVenture
4/19/2018 7:26 am
#161

Uppa wrote:

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Finally a little ice melting weather in the forecast at least.   

Yes, I think Spring has finally arrived. A long way to go until ice-out, but at least the ice will be heading in the right direction!

Exactly my thoughts. I'm hoping to get out to Kiosk this weekend or early next week for a hike and lunch on a fire. Will update with photos when I do so. If I'm feeling adventurous Ill bring my 6" auger to check the ice.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/19/2018 7:27 am)

 
Posted by nvm
4/19/2018 8:29 am
#162

I'm getting my best forecast looking at 'Algonquin.' Whitney, Huntsville and Algonquin highlands are all somewhat colder, so I'm sticking with generic 'Algonquin'! It would be nice to hear an ice thickness update, especially at the end of the weekend once the sun gets a little work done. Fingers still crossed.

 
Posted by breed85
4/19/2018 9:53 am
#163

nvm wrote:

I'm getting my best forecast looking at 'Algonquin.' Whitney, Huntsville and Algonquin highlands are all somewhat colder, so I'm sticking with generic 'Algonquin'! It would be nice to hear an ice thickness update, especially at the end of the weekend once the sun gets a little work done. Fingers still crossed.

As of yesterday from @natemuskoka on Instagram, Lake Opeongo was 23".

 
Posted by ShawnD
4/19/2018 10:03 am
#164

23 " eh? 
If I were going to guess again it would be something around May 10-12 but it really is a fools game..

Almost a guarantee that I'm wrong though.. might even be later..if it were to be signifcantly earlier than that wouldnt that mean some decent flooding?

Last edited by ShawnD (4/19/2018 10:09 am)

 
Posted by ATVenture
4/20/2018 2:17 pm
#165

The North River access point this morning :



Beautiful day today, still well over 2ft of snow on the road, but its going to go fast now. 

 
Posted by RobW
4/20/2018 2:34 pm
#166

That looks like open water to me! :-)

Have you got a Yamaha motor in the Arctic Cat? 

 
Posted by ATVenture
4/20/2018 2:39 pm
#167

RobW wrote:

That looks like open water to me! :-)

Have you got a Yamaha motor in the Arctic Cat? 

The North River has a decent current, I bet its been open for most of the winter. Hard to say though.
Why do you ask about the motor in my snowmobile? It's completely stock, I just picked it up 2 weeks ago fresh out of the crate. I think today is going to be it for the season for me though, I just wanted to get the motor broken in before summarizing. 

 
Posted by RobW
4/20/2018 3:22 pm
#168

ATVenture wrote:

Why do you ask about the motor in my snowmobile? It's completely stock, I just picked it up 2 weeks ago fresh out of the crate. I think today is going to be it for the season for me though, I just wanted to get the motor broken in before summarizing. 

Ok, I'm really getting off topic for the ice out thread, so my apologies, I'll blame it on the snow on the ground here in Waterloo forcing my head back into winter mode. I'm also starting to wonder if this might finally be the year we get to go ice fishing for the trout opener. 

<if you aren't interested in snowmobiles, just skip the rest of this post>

Thanks to my 16 year old I've learned a lot about snowmobiles over the last couple years, including that Arctic Cat had a pretty bad run and had switched to using 3rd party engines including, but not exclusively Yamaha 4-strokes. I could see that it was definitely a newer sled so quite possibly had a Yamaha engine in it but I hadn't spent enough time on Arctic Cats to immediately recognize that it was a brand new sled or the model.

I'd been considering a 4-stroke Skidoo myself but still shopping used and the way the winter was going I ended up going fairly cheap with an '05 550F. That's still the newest sled in the family by 15 years with the others all being Yamaha's going back to a couple of '76 Prestige's that Pete (the 16 year old) has. I looked at a few newer Yamaha's but Pete kept vetoing them on looks. The Arctic Cats have better styling than the current Yamaha's so a recent model Arctic Cat with a Yamaha 4-stroke could be interesting next winter. 
 

 
Posted by ATVenture
4/21/2018 8:26 am
#169

RobW wrote:

ATVenture wrote:

Why do you ask about the motor in my snowmobile? It's completely stock, I just picked it up 2 weeks ago fresh out of the crate. I think today is going to be it for the season for me though, I just wanted to get the motor broken in before summarizing. 

Ok, I'm really getting off topic for the ice out thread, so my apologies, I'll blame it on the snow on the ground here in Waterloo forcing my head back into winter mode. I'm also starting to wonder if this might finally be the year we get to go ice fishing for the trout opener. 

<if you aren't interested in snowmobiles, just skip the rest of this post>

Thanks to my 16 year old I've learned a lot about snowmobiles over the last couple years, including that Arctic Cat had a pretty bad run and had switched to using 3rd party engines including, but not exclusively Yamaha 4-strokes. I could see that it was definitely a newer sled so quite possibly had a Yamaha engine in it but I hadn't spent enough time on Arctic Cats to immediately recognize that it was a brand new sled or the model.

I'd been considering a 4-stroke Skidoo myself but still shopping used and the way the winter was going I ended up going fairly cheap with an '05 550F. That's still the newest sled in the family by 15 years with the others all being Yamaha's going back to a couple of '76 Prestige's that Pete (the 16 year old) has. I looked at a few newer Yamaha's but Pete kept vetoing them on looks. The Arctic Cats have better styling than the current Yamaha's so a recent model Arctic Cat with a Yamaha 4-stroke could be interesting next winter. 
 

Hey Rob, I'm not overly familiar with the 4 strokes as I'm a 2-stroke guy myself. I'd rather sacrifice the extra reliability for the weight savings and extra performance of a 2-stroke. Arctic Cat used to use Suzuki motors I believe, but recently developed their own 2-stroke motors which they call the "CTec II". They are supposedly the most reliable and efficient 2-stroke motor in the industry, the 600cc model was released in 14' or 15' and the 800cc was released in 17'. No one really knows much about them yet because they have been so bulletproof none have really blown up yet. The 600cc has 135hp and the 800cc has 165hp I believe.

Last edited by ATVenture (4/21/2018 8:29 am)

 
Posted by breed85
4/21/2018 4:43 pm
#170

breed85 wrote:

andrewr0520 wrote:

Yep, happened to me last year. Rain Lake Access was delayed, and I had made 2 or 3 changes prior to the date. They fully refunded me everything, and then I just re-booked at the park for the East Gate access. 

FYI.
I just called in to cancel the trip we had booked for May 3-6.
I had previously made a change to the dates and I was told by the representative that I was speaking with that they could NOT refund me the penalty costs for my previous booking changes.
So I am out $30+ dollars for a trip the park wouldn't have let me take in the first place.
 

I had emailed OntarioParks about this and got the following positive response:

Thank you for send us an email.

In these delayed opening situations we do intend for customers to receive full refunds, including any previous change fees.

We have authorized a refund of the remaining fees owing to you.

Please contact our call centre with your confirmation number and quote this ticket number: Camis-XXXXXX

1-888-668-7275 (open daily; 7:00am - 9:00pm EST)

Ontario Parks

 


Page:  Next »

 
Main page
Login
Desktop format