You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2017 8:55 pm  #1

Day Use Permit

Hello,

Planning on going into the park and out the same day to do some spring fishing. I'd like to start my day as early as possible to get the most fishing done. Would like to start paddling 5-6am. 

I'll be coming in through access point 9, rock lake. My understanding is that I have to pick up the permit from the park office right? Hours seem to be 9am-4pm for the west gate. Any way around this? Any suggestions?

5/06/2017 9:43 pm  #2

Re: Day Use Permit

I know there is a machine at the East Gate that is accessible when the office is closed.  Pretty sure there is one at the West gate as well.
Pay and display.

5/06/2017 9:47 pm  #3

Day use permits are only valid from 7am to 10pm. If you go the day before I'm sure they'll sell you a permit for the next day though. If they won't, ask to buy an interior permit for some nearby lake. With an interior permit on your car you can spend the whole day in the park no questions asked from the time you pick it up until midnight the next day.

5/06/2017 10:01 pm  #4

And an "overnight" camping permit would be way cheaper than a day-use permit, no?

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

5/07/2017 12:20 am  #5

An overnight interior permit covers 1 person. A day pass covers a car load and judging by the groups hauling in the motorboats to Opeongo at 5 in the morning, don't think the 7am part is that heavily enforced.

Last edited by Guest99 (5/07/2017 12:23 am)

5/07/2017 8:02 am  #6

They don't enforce the 7AM rule too much for obvious reasons. Before I bought my annual day use pass (close to $200) I would ALWAYS just book an interior canoe site on a lake no one usually camps on and you have basically two day passes for less than the actual price of one. It's kind of a loop hole, I even tell them at the permit office my intentions and they says it's a good idea and why not. Lol

5/07/2017 3:22 pm  #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Cost isn't the hugest issue. Just trying to figure out the trip time. There's 2 of us for reference. But an overnight camping permit means we have to be there the day before, or wait for the office to open at 9 am the day of, correct? This is what we're trying to avoid. 

I didn't know I can purchase a day permit from the machine. Good to know. I'll call the park and confirm that it exists at the west gate. Hopefully it lets me buy my permit before 7am. 

I'll probably aim to be at the access point for 6am. Sounds like they will most likely turn a blind eye. Worst case i get unlucky and end up with a ticket?

5/07/2017 4:26 pm  #8

If you arrive early and can't get a permit, leave a note on your dash explaining that you arrived before they opened and that you will stop and pay on your way out. From experience that's ok. Just make sure you stop in and pay after. 

5/08/2017 9:54 am  #9

Jdbonney wrote:

If you arrive early and can't get a permit, leave a note on your dash explaining that you arrived before they opened and that you will stop and pay on your way out. From experience that's ok. Just make sure you stop in and pay after. 

Has anyone ever done this with a prebooked multi day reservation? Leave a note including reservation number and party size? Planning a late September trip from Rain lake. Would love to access early.  Permit office hours are 8 to 5 that time of year. Any advice on an earlier start for multi day trips.?

5/08/2017 10:05 am  #10

This won't work for a multi day trip. You will be considered a no show and charged the cancellation fee. And in the unlikely event a ranger shows up at your site you'll have nothing to show him/her

5/08/2017 10:24 am  #11

I guess I didn't really think that through lol! Is there pre office hours check in protocol  for interior trips? I know it's been brought up but haven't heard if anything had changed. Frustrating having to wait for office staff.

5/08/2017 11:14 am  #12

it would be really nice if you could print your permit at home and bring it with you. Not sure why that isn't an option yet

5/08/2017 1:54 pm  #13

Shayne74 - in the past, I have asked the permit office to print my permit and leave it taped to the door in an envelope so i could pick it up outside office hours. I was going up late one day and camping at the launch spot.

5/08/2017 2:03 pm  #14

That could be worth a shot. I will keep it in mind when calling. Did you mention that at reservation time or just a few days in advance?

5/09/2017 8:27 am  #15

The day of driving up I called and asked, we rolled past the permit office around 11PM and picked it up.

It was at the Kingscote access though, which the permits are issued by a 3rd party I believe.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.