You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2017 11:09 am  #1

Moose!

Hi all, I'm heading up to the park next week, and I remembered reading that moose are common along the Highway 60 corridor this time of year due to the salt from the roads. Can anybody confirm this? Any good spots in particular to see them?

5/02/2017 11:34 am  #2

Re: Moose!

Confirmed. You will have best luck driving the road slowly either early morning or dusk but for the next few weeks you are virtually guaranteed to see a moose or two on a drive through the park. Drive slow, moose are surprisingly hard to see even if they are just behind the first tree. Make sure you pull off to let people pass you(and pull off only where you can be seen in either direction for a reasonable distance). 

5/02/2017 11:35 am  #3

andrewr0520 wrote:

Hi all, I'm heading up to the park next week, and I remembered reading that moose are common along the Highway 60 corridor this time of year due to the salt from the roads. Can anybody confirm this? Any good spots in particular to see them?

This is true. You will generally see a bunch of cars pulled over to the side when one is there. This is the best way to spot them - keep your eyes on the road!

Dave

5/02/2017 5:22 pm  #4

Thanks!

5/02/2017 5:52 pm  #5

The best spots are wherever the road dips low past a marsh. So be alert then. The best times are before 8 am or after 5 pm; however, if your schedule only allows for driving between these times, you'll benefit from the fact that any moose that are out beside the road will be accompanied by a long line of pulled-over cars making them easier to notice.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.