You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2017 5:51 pm  #1

FYI: Tent City (Toronto) closing

First post here.

From info posted here on canoe packs, I visited Tent City's website.  On its splash page, it says that Tent City is closing. 20-50% off.  In store only.

(I don't have enough posts here for me to include an image of the splash page.)

Last edited by Yc (4/27/2017 5:54 pm)

4/27/2017 6:55 pm  #2

Re: FYI: Tent City (Toronto) closing

I meant to post this a while ago but apparently I forgot. They've had this sale for a few months now, and there wasn't that much left when I went last month. Some tens and packs and other stuff, but they're definitely getting low on supply. 

The staff told me they're not for sure closing their doors, but they're definitely downsizing. They hope to stay open, but in a smaller space, but nothing is confirmed yet.

If it's the end for them it will be sad to see them go, it's right around the corner from me and it's my go-to place to pick stuff up... good prices and helpful staff.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/28/2017 7:29 am  #3

argh. 

Sounds pretty definite:

https://www.tentcityoutfitters.com/

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/28/2017 8:33 am  #4

MEC has always been my 'go-to' store for most of my gear, but they have, for me at least, some holes in what they carry. I used to go to LeBaron to fill those gaps, but they went out of a business last year. Sad to see the options keep dwindling. 

4/30/2017 4:43 pm  #5

Uppa wrote:

MEC has always been my 'go-to' store for most of my gear, but they have, for me at least, some holes in what they carry. I used to go to LeBaron to fill those gaps, but they went out of a business last year. Sad to see the options keep dwindling. 

Yes, I tend to go to MEC too...however...This is the first year I was disappointed with their gear and selection.  Provided you could fit an XXS or an XXL there wasn't much in between.  They also seemed to be much, much more in to the "fashion" of outdoor stuff...not so much the technical gear. 

That said, I am in the London area and perhaps this is how they are doing their new "satellite" stores.  I have tried supplementing online, but 50% of the time I seem to pay to send stuff back.  

Anyone have a good "go-to" store in the London/Stratford area for good camping stuff?

4/30/2017 6:34 pm  #6

Sorry to hear about Tent City. I usually make a point of going in there when I am in the area - not so often these days as I no longer work in Brampton.

My pet peeve about MEC is that it is so frigging expensive. I mean, isn't the primary purpose of a co-op to lower purchasing costs?

Last edited by Algonquintripper (4/30/2017 6:36 pm)

Dave

4/30/2017 8:02 pm  #7

I do primarily use MEC, but I have noticed quite the increase in pricing over the last few years. Not just select items, everything overall. If anyone has ordered online for many years just look at your purchase history, youll be unpleasantly surprised.

Still a great place don't get me wrong, just getting really pricey.

Last edited by Peek (4/30/2017 8:06 pm)

4/30/2017 9:06 pm  #8

As a rule MEC doesn't carry junk, so their cheapest option for product x (say, headlamps) will be higher than almost anywhere else. That said, over the years I feel as though I've noticed an increase in pricing on specific items as compared to other retailers. In the past MEC usually undercut other retailers on same Brand/Model items (co-op buying power). But since internet retailing has exploded in the last decade or so, reputable brands have had to come up with ways to protect their dealers (specifically brick and mortar). Many companies have instituted Minimum Pricing rules, which prohibit a retailer from selling a product below a certain price. This protects all retailers from a race-to-the-bottom WRT pricing, and assures everyone a "fair" margin for retailing the product. I expect most of the brands that MEC carries have some form of a minimum pricing policy. These days it seems that MEC's pricing is generally equal to other retailers. I used to work in the bicycle industry and this was a huge issue as online retailers gained traction.

On top of that, in my opinion MEC's house brand used to be less expensive than an equivalent independent brand's product, while offering about the same quality in many cases. Or at least sufficient for the price. These days I feel that their house brand usually costs at least the same as the other established brands, while not offering nearly the same quality or workmanship as in the past. That has been a disappointing change. But otherwise if you have a specific product in mind, I still haven't come across many cases where MEC isn't the cheapest, or equal in pricing, while offering excellent shipping rates and the best (to a fault) return policy.

5/01/2017 7:45 am  #9

@pjr2013. I too am in the London area, and have not yet found another good camping store. It used to be novacks, but it closed years ago. I recently travelled to sarnia but found the camping stores there much more for hunters and fisherman, with poor quality camping products.
So MEC it is. Or if online is atractive, shipping to the us border to port Huron ( often free) and then picking it up is also a possibility. I have done so and found picking items up at the ups store in port Huron easy and convenient. For me it is about a hour and a half round trip. Ups store is located 5 minutes from the bridge crossing.

5/01/2017 7:53 am  #10

I've picked up the occasional piece of gear at SAIL. The stores are big and they carry lots of quality equipment. Their website I find a bit of a mess - it can be hard to find what you're looking for. 

I just went into the new North York MEC for the first time yesterday. The most shocking change from the downtown location was that it was virtually empty of people. Granted I was there at 9 AM on a Sunday, but at that same time the King street store would already have 50+ people in it. 

5/01/2017 7:55 am  #11

I checked out the Tent City clearance a few months back and was underwhelmed by what was available.

As for MEC prices climbing, I've noticed it as well. However, they are still able to maintain the cheapest prices I've been able to find when shopping for just about everything, even if just by $5. It's that gear guarantee keeps them as my go to. Knowing I can walk back in 2 years later if something fails and get my money back or a replacement, no questions asked is huge. No dealing with manufacturer warranties and mailing things all over the continent. It also helps that they're 10 minutes away from me....I've been in there more times than I'd like to admit the past few months. 

Last edited by basilthegood (5/01/2017 7:56 am)

5/01/2017 8:48 am  #12

I too am from the London area. Love MEC but often can't afford it. Amazon and other online retailers are my go to now, with MEC, Atmosphere or Sail (if I happen to be in Cambridge or GTA) for last minute stuff or sale items.

5/01/2017 9:42 am  #13

tentsterforever wrote:

@pjr2013. I too am in the London area, and have not yet found another good camping store. It used to be novacks, but it closed years ago. I recently travelled to sarnia but found the camping stores there much more for hunters and fisherman, with poor quality camping products.
So MEC it is. Or if online is atractive, shipping to the us border to port Huron ( often free) and then picking it up is also a possibility. I have done so and found picking items up at the ups store in port Huron easy and convenient. For me it is about a hour and a half round trip. Ups store is located 5 minutes from the bridge crossing.

Ah yes, Novacks - I went there for a few years once I moved to the area and they closed down about 2-3 years after I moved here.  Looks like the two options you note are it.

5/01/2017 11:07 am  #14

spicol wrote:

I too am from the London area. Love MEC but often can't afford it. Amazon and other online retailers are my go to now, with MEC, Atmosphere or Sail (if I happen to be in Cambridge or GTA) for last minute stuff or sale items.

I have had great experiences with Altitude-Sports, their membership is well worth it. The returns really are free and most importantly EASY. In addition they have frequent sales of 20% or more off of many items.

5/10/2017 8:11 am  #15

I agree with above...  MEC is generally my go to (albeit on the expensive side), then Sail or (historically) Lebaron in the GTA...  If anyone's a little further north, another great shop is Lefebvre's in North Bay - Great gear, and more 'Mom and Pop' feel...:-)

5/10/2017 8:49 am  #16

+ 1 on Altitude-Sports always running at least a 20% off sale and membership gives you an extra 5% so rare not to get at least 25% off. Free very fast shipping over $50. 

Last edited by ShawnD (5/10/2017 8:49 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/10/2017 10:04 am  #17

I'm not looking forward to MEC opening in Kitchener. They have some good gear, but I long ago realized that Adventure Guide has a better selection of things I care about. Sail down in Cambridge already provides some overlap and MEC is just going to dilute the market more. Worse, when it comes to clothing, MEC has a horrible selection in sizes and most stuff is far too small on the arms and legs. Not a good move for anyone. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.