You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2015 5:16 am  #1

New forum format

I like this style format for the forum.  It's more like other forums I'm on.   There my be a few to many topics or discussions for the startup of the new forum if you decide to switch over.

8/13/2015 6:48 am  #2

Re: New forum format

Hi Russ

You and numerous others have suggested there are too many sub-forums to start with.

I see the point and will be combining "Equipment" with "Skills and Ethics" in both the Paddling and Hiking categories.

I'll also be combining all the Drive-in Camping forums into "Campgrounds and Frontcountry Experiences".

In the Photography and Videography category, I'll be combining "Photos To Share" with "Videos To Share" into a single "Photos and Videos To Share". I'll also be combining "Photo Equipment and Technique" with "Video Equipment and Technique" into a single "Equipment and Technique".

In the Academia category, I'll be combining "Animals", "Birds" and "Flora" into a single "Wildlife" forum. I'll keep "Fish" intact as a separate one to include "Fishing" since it's such a popular topic by itself.

8/14/2015 8:37 am  #3

I like it and don't mind all th let sub forums as I can go directly where I want to be instead of filtering thru all the other threads.

Definitely perfer this format better.

8/15/2015 4:50 pm  #4

I really like the ability to view new threads/unviewed threads.. Make it really quick and easy to see what's most active, while the things less talked about fade into the background until needed at a later date/someone searches for it.

8/21/2015 9:28 am  #5

Peek wrote:

I really like the ability to view new threads/unviewed threads.. Make it really quick and easy to see what's most active, while the things less talked about fade into the background until needed at a later date/someone searches for it.

The forum is really poor for viewing on an iPhone in mobile view. I cant figure out how to use it at all an basically have to click on each sub forum to see if there is anything new. I prefer the old forum at this point but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

8/21/2015 9:44 am  #6

Hi Jdbonney - While I'm not a smart-phone user, I understand that many browsers on iPhones and Android devices provide ways to circumvent a Mobile View and to invoke a conventional website. The issue is discussed on .. http://www.howtogeek.com/176932/how-to-disable-the-mobile-version-of-a-website-on-your-phone/

8/21/2015 10:24 am  #7

I use an android phone with chrome as my browser.  When I go to the forum I have an icon with 3 horizonal lines - I can click this and have the option to login or the option to view in desktop format.  If I choose desktop format I can see post dates etc.  If I leave it on mobile it don't see dates etc.  I hope this helps anyone that is wanting to view in desktop format from a phone.  

8/21/2015 10:48 am  #8

Hey staceyd I'm in the same boat as you - it was a little annoying at first, but if you go to your settings in chrome, you can tick the box labelled 'Request Desktop Site' and it will load this page in desktop mode (when selected from favorites). This will save you a few annoying clicks each time you visit the site.

8/21/2015 12:04 pm  #9

Hey Barry

First off at somepoint I really do plan to submit my piling up list of PCI project submissions. Just curious if a new thread will be estabished on the new forum for those or if you plan to just keep updating the old archive?

Thx and the new forum format is great!

Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/21/2015 12:36 pm  #10

Hi ShawnD - the Portage Campsite Inventory is part of the website .. while what got 'archived' was the old discussion forum, which got replaced by this one we are posting on. I hope I understood your question OK.

8/21/2015 12:46 pm  #11

No that makes sense Barry. Now that I think about it my question was a little silly. I guess I expected to see a new PCI project link within the new forum  for new submissions but that isn't how the old forum worked.  PCI is a separate link from the forums.  So not sure why I thought that.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/13/2015 8:03 am  #12

This weekend, in an effort to keep the forum "family friendly", I started using its "Censored Words" feature. It allows forum-admin to identify words to be censored and to specify words to substitute each with. I originally tried specific replacement words, but realized that a replacement could go un-noticed by the poster and that the sentence's meaning could be subtly altered.

As a result, I've decided that "astrisks" are an appropriate replacement to use. That way, the poster should be able to easily see that the "replacement" has occurred and then has the opportunity to edit their posting to either use a different word that doesn't get "replaced" or opt to leave the "astrisks" visible as a way to convey their "emotion".

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.