You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2017 10:35 am  #1

Lakes not on canoe routes

I've been thinking it would be fun to try and get to some of the lakes that aren't on official canoe routes. For example, Jeff's Map has an old route that goes from Brent to Hailstorm lake and then Hailstorm Bay that looks interesting. But I have no idea what park rules are with respect to that kind of tripping. Are we permitted to go off the marked canoe routes? If so, would an area like hailstorm bay have any special restrictions. I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to camp on marked sites, but is there a problem with travelling through these areas as well?

4/10/2017 10:52 am  #2

Re: Lakes not on canoe routes

I don't think there are any rules against bushwhacking anywhere you want to go as long as you're not camping there. Anglers, especially, have their 'secret' lakes but then people like Peek will be poking around anywhere ruins might exist. 

4/10/2017 2:35 pm  #3

Re: Lakes not on canoe routes

No rules and regulations re Hailstorm Creek or lake.  Like other lakes in AP|, no camping unless you find a AP campsite sign on a site.  It is a DIFFICULT paddle to get to Hailstorm Lake.  This area has many guided trips for visitors to see moose.

​You want some good lakes to explore off the major canoe routes, try Loontail, Creation, Yellow Birch and Beaverpaw which are south of Biggar and Gibson Lake.  To the east from here, you have Vulture Lake, Kennedy Lake and Coldspring Lake.  Been there and done that many years ago.

​Good luck in finding the old bush road off the Nipissing River that will take you to Loontail Lake.  After that it is totally bushwhacking to get to the other lakes in this area.

Last edited by boknows (4/10/2017 2:41 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.