You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2017 7:17 am  #1

CAMPING AND SURVIVAL IN ALGONQUIN PARK IF NECESSARY

The perfect campsite is a blend of the haves and the have-nots.  It should have a view that makes you want to leap from the tent and hi-five the rising sun.  Good water within 50 meters and sheltered from the worst winds but not too enclosed that the skeeters like it too.  Double points for trees close to each other for your tarps and no "widow makers" hanging over your site.  Sleep with your head uphill and your heart filled with gratitude for the call of the loon.

​I am currently reading a book called The Total Outdoorsman Manual complete with 408 survival skills. It is published by Field & Stream for a price of $19.99 Canadian or, as I did, you can loan it out at a library.

​Did you know your canoe can substitute for an almost complete campsite? An excellent wind break for your campfire? An emergency shelter or tent?  Too many pictures and a plethora of words to show you how the above works.  I will try to put down how an "almost complete campsite" works.

​Take your canoe and place it upside down on two big logs(one at front and one at back).  Stake the logs so they do not move.  Now you have a "flat table" for your Coleman stove, pots and pans, plates, etc.

​The book encompasses all kinds of tips for camping, fishing, hunting and surviving skills.  I would DEFINITELY give it a 10+ for anyone who likes to interior trip and learn new techniques which will only enhance your trip.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.