You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2017 2:19 pm  #52

Re: How do you solo trip without freaking out?

Ah... you posted it when I was busy feeling sorry for myself because an injury ended my camping season. Reading it now!

3/21/2017 6:59 pm  #53

Uppa wrote:

...the absolute best thing about solo tripping is being on your own schedule. I book routes that I want to do, at the pace I want to do them, and spend my time however I choose. Sometimes that's wandering around with the camera, sometimes it's lying on a rock by the water's edge, thinking and doing absolutely nothing. I get up when I want, eat when I want, move camp when I want...

That about sums it up for me. Having solo backpacked for years I wasn't concerned about the psychological effects of soloing. Talking and dealing with people almost constantly in my working life, I cherish alone time. 

In regards to portaging, I subscribe to kayamedic's school of thought - It's an unwarranted risk. I'd much rather enjoy the walk and the opportunity to stretch the legs. I know Corky the Wonder Dog enjoys the portages. Canoeing to her is something to be endured, not enjoyed, and is preferable only to being left behind. She'd much rather be backpacking.

Dave

3/21/2017 8:58 pm  #54

Algonquintripper wrote:

Uppa wrote:

...the absolute best thing about solo tripping is being on your own schedule. I book routes that I want to do, at the pace I want to do them, and spend my time however I choose. Sometimes that's wandering around with the camera, sometimes it's lying on a rock by the water's edge, thinking and doing absolutely nothing. I get up when I want, eat when I want, move camp when I want...

That about sums it up for me. Having solo backpacked for years I wasn't concerned about the psychological effects of soloing. Talking and dealing with people almost constantly in my working life, I cherish alone time. 

I love the planning/moving on your own schedule aspect, but that can also be done with a small group, depending on the people. If they're not big trippers and you're the trip leader, then you'll be calling all the shots anyways.

My top 3 favourite things about going solo (in no particular order) would be planning/moving on your own schedule, paddling a solo boat, and the sense of accomplishment.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

3/28/2017 6:19 am  #55

Having gone solo for the past 10 years, I have no problem with it.....YOU JUST TALK TO YOURSELF! and any other tripppers you meet.  As stated above, you have to be extremely careful in what you do as there possibly could be no one around.  One thing I always worry about is my appendix which I still have.  What do I do if I have an appendix attack????  Good question!!  Taking a survival course like I have a few times will add to your solo experience.  Your first night might be freaky, but after that you really don't care about what goes bump in the night.  If noises in the bush around your tent keep you awake and make you a little skittish, ear plugs is the solution.  Most people don't realize that solo and tripping with others could very well be dangerous to your health if something should happen.  There is a hill from Little Nadine Lake up to Little Osler lake called Heart Attack Hill (totally climbs really uphill all the way and near the top you can see Erables Lake so you are really up high.  Anyways, many years ago (I think around late 70's) a man died on this portage from a heart attack, thus the name is has now.  I have done this portage a few times and it isn't easy to say the least.  But the fishing is good in Little Osler Lake and Osler Lake for speckled trout.  After you have a few solo trips under your belt, tripping with others is basically out the window as going soloing, you can do what you want, when you want, and how you want without agreeing with others.  I also take a little pocket radio with ear plugs that I can listen to at night sometimes if I can get reception.  But a little small radio is helpful for the weather.  If it is going to pour the next day, stay where you are, etc.  If you can get the weather forecast on CBC somewhere in the Park, it is easier for you to decide when to go and when to stay.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/28/2017 7:01 am  #56

It just dawned on me a couple of other points I should have stated in my previous post.  Number 1 is your canoe.....always tie it to a tree at night.  Many people just pull it up on shore and turn it upside down and leave it there.  A very windy night could very easily take your canoe out on the lake and you wake up the next morning and say "where is my canoe" and now you are, well....you know where you are! lol  And this has happened a number of times to other trippers I have come in contact with while tripping.   Number 2 is whether soloing and/or with a group, if you ever get caught in a violent windstorm when you are on a campsite, many people head for the tent to get out of the wind and rain, etc.  BAD DECISION....that is the worst thing you can do. If you are sleeping in your tent and you wake up to a violet wind storm, get out of it.   If you go into your tent during a violent wind storm, you have lost sight of your surroundings and now should a tree start coming down on your tent, well, you will probably be hurt and possibly killed.  Many people in Algonquin Park have had this happen to them.  Best thing to do is to stay out of your tent, perhaps under a tarp you have put up previously near a fire, and obviously not being near a tree if there is lightning.  Put on your rain suit, sit on a chair in a wide opening on your sight if you don't have a tarp up, and watch the "show".  Nothing wrong with getting a little wet than having a tree fall on your tent when you are inside it.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/03/2017 5:13 pm  #57

CanoeClaire wrote:

I have even followed one tripper (can't remember the link now) who has a stuffed animal that goes along on all his adventures. He entertains himself by taking its picture in strange places. 

Claire - are you talking about Kermit's Wilderness Adventures?

If it is, Phil is a really nice guy - I've tripped with him before - and Kermit was right there with us too!

Edit: Also - to address the question of the thread. Just get out there and do it! If you don't like it, call it a day and head home (or call a friend to come meet you and continue the trip) if you do like it, then have at 'er! Mind over matter. What is mind? Doesnt matter. What is matter? Nevermind. 

Last edited by Peek (4/03/2017 5:15 pm)

4/04/2017 8:32 am  #58

Peek wrote:

Claire - are you talking about Kermit's Wilderness Adventures?

It wasn't Kermit. it was someone section hiking in Great Britain somewhere I think. I can't find it anymore. But now I am excited to read all about Kermit's travels!

3/28/2019 8:51 pm  #59

What a terrific, informative thread and read...ty

4/10/2019 4:39 pm  #60

I agree goneagainjon, I couldn’t put my phone down till it was over ! Lol excellent ideas and very informative thread.

4/10/2019 7:44 pm  #61

trippythings wrote:

My top 3 favourite things about going solo (in no particular order) would be planning/moving on your own schedule, paddling a solo boat, and the sense of accomplishment.

I'd totally agree with all three reasons except that moving on your own schedule and booking each night in advance do not fit together very well.

4/11/2019 11:51 am  #62

Some good advice so far ...

For me its simple .. just keep busy. Like other have said.  and I always end the day with fishing or exploring ... that takes me up til almost dark and then a fire or in some cases i`m tired and just hit the rack  I`m one of those guys who is pretty much asleep when my head hits the pillow ...

(My ex wife hated that ... )

8/07/2020 9:26 am  #63

Just returned from a short trip with my little one.  The noises in the night are definitely the worst.  I tied an old school metal thermos to the food barrel as an extra noise deterrent and while it worked, hearing the handle of the metal thermos clanking while I lay in my tent was probably worse than having my barrel broken into!  Follow that up with a loud splash into the water shortly afterwards and I ended up sleeping with one eye open.

Last edited by papabear (8/07/2020 9:37 am)

9/30/2021 11:43 am  #64

I know I am a little late for this thread but let me add my own experience.
A while back I did my first solo into  Big Crow. I knew the route well as I had done this many times with friends. I had so much gear that I had to double hump the Opeongo-Proulx portage.
Around 1AM the first night a moose walked through the site. There is no mistaking that noise. A few minutes later a wolf or coyote ran through my site. I'm thinking "What's next?". The noises outside of the tent do play with your imagination at times when you are alone.
The next night a storm blew through and I had to get out to tighten all the tarp and tent lines. That was a spooky night!
I brought my tablet with me and watched a movie as the storm passed.

Not everyone can do a solo trip, anyone that can, my hats off to them.

Lumpy

Been humping in Algonquin for over 40 years!

10/01/2021 1:26 pm  #65

My post a couple days ago was so long, I apologize.  I've edited a couple of times to reduce it.

It is remarkable to me how this post continues to live on.  Of course, the topic is renewable, on the mind of many new soloists.  My original post was in January 2016, back when I was “dontgroandaddy”.  I referenced my first solo trip, a hiking trip around 2001.  Boogeyman got me and turned a 4-day trip into a 2-day trip.  What really got me on that trip was the limitations of my vision. Everything outside that field just felt dark. It really played on my mind, ie., the boogeyman. 

In 2016, I did take a solo trip, after receiving kind advice and encouragement from the people who frequent this forum.  A canoe trip this time. That was familiar territory for me. Paddling on open water instead of on foot in the woods, and a boat with a personality sounded like good ways to evade the boogeyman.  It went well.  I chose an area of the park I wanted to explore, a simple down-and-back route over a 3-day trip.  I was a Cubscout master, and took photos and videos to show the boys.  I’ve taken six solos since, and really enjoy it.

For potential soloists, your age, and physical condition will help you stay in your lane.  Plan a trip that considers portage-to-paddle ratio, rivers vs. lakes, well-populated or remote lakes, familiar or new to you areas, and duration. Consider how you might use down time as well.  Sitting around a campsite is fine if you enjoy that, planning a hike, visiting ruins, paddling an interesting lake, etc., can make the difference between a good trip and a great trip.  Take the time to really consider these things in your planning.

Uppa’s page 1 comment described how he didn’t really have boogeyman-type issues, but overnight it can get a little different.  What resonated with me from his comment was this (I cut it down a bit): 

What I found helped with night-time peace of mind was:

a) having a completely clean camp………..you...don't want to wake up in the middle of the night thinking about that snickers bar you left...by the campfire. 

b) Overnight in my tent, everything I could potentially need in a hurry has a specific place. My knife, whistle, bear mace, glasses, headlamp - they're all within reach of my right arm in specific spots. The tent zippers are in the same place too.

But mostly it was just time and experience. 

This is exactly what I do, and time and experience have done the rest. 

I carry a SPOT primarily to give reasonable peace of mind to my wife.  She gets very nervous, but that OK button gives her a little breather from her nerves, and let's the fam know I'm thinking of them, and certainly there’s nothing wrong with that. Plus if you need help.

There were other suggestions that several people shared.  Take a good book, just not one that discusses predacious bears! (I take a pad and pen and write up a trip log).  Lots of people take dogs, I never have.  Some suggested busying yourself with camp chores – I am the all time champ at putzing around camp doing little chores.

Also, I talk.  My water filter and I had a pretty testy conversation recently, for example.  My canoe and I have outstanding conversations throughout the day.  I talk to rocks as well, but those discussions usually involve name calling.  I’ll talk to the birds and little critters and trees as well.  It isn’t non-stop chatter, I definitely enjoy times of complete silence, but it keeps the mind alive.

So, if you haven’t soloed, you know what?  You can do it!!  For sure you can!  There are so many wonderful tips you can find on this site, search througg=h, learn, ask questions.  This community of people are super generous with their time. If its new to you, it is worth asking the question.  I’ve had assistance from so many people on AA I couldn’t count, and from time to time I like to think I’ve offered a little something as well.

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (10/04/2021 7:57 am)

10/05/2021 10:41 pm  #66

Lumpy wrote:

Around 1AM the first night a moose walked through the site. There is no mistaking that noise. A few minutes later a wolf or coyote ran through my site....

I had a similar experience with my first solo trips.  Of course the moose ended up being a squirrel and the wolf has a pinecone falling.

More recently I realized that my snoring probably keeps away animals.  Like any fear, understanding of your environment  and experience does wonders.

In addition to other advice, start small, don't be afraid to bail on your planned route if things aren't going well, and it's okay to ask for help.  A good first aid kit and knowing how to use it helps too.

11/20/2021 4:50 pm  #67

Honestly mostly I’m just so relieved to be away from the craziness in of our society that I don’t freak out. But I also love paddling with others and wish I had more paddling partners 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited by ChristineCanoes (11/20/2021 6:11 pm)

11/20/2021 5:34 pm  #68

hey c.c.
  do ya know how to clean fish?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.