You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2017 9:26 am  #1

S.C.Co. P.O.W. Camp 10, South River

Hello Algonquin Adventures!!

I made a rather large update to one of the ruins featured on TOURduPARK.

Originally published on TOURduPARK back in 2013, the P.O.W. Camp on the South River was a collection of old buildings, dams, other structures, clearings and miscellaneous tools/relics - I did not have anything in the way of information about this location.

That changed today. A while back I was contacted by a local historian from South River, Ontario who had been collecting photographs and information on this particular historic location (among others) and he was kind enough to share some photos along with a ton of his research with me. After many lengthy discussions, I obtained his consent to use the photos and information he provided.

Below is a completely revised ruin page, which now includes photos of the ACTUAL POW's who were assigned to work at this camp. It also contains full details on how the camp was established, by who, and a ton of other historical information specific to the S.C.Co.

This is probably the most in-depth coverage of any ruin featured on TOURduPARK. I hope you find the new information as interesting as I did!

The S.C.Co. P.O.W. Camp 10, South River

Some preview images:

Last edited by Peek (2/18/2017 10:20 am)

2/18/2017 12:36 pm  #2

Re: S.C.Co. P.O.W. Camp 10, South River

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a trip report from when you visited this site? I think it would be a cool place to visit and would love to see what kind of trip you incorporated it into.

2/18/2017 8:13 pm  #3

RC - glad you find it interesting! Unfortunately, I do not have a TR published from this trip but the route was done a few years ago in the spring. It was a 3-night there-and-back type of trip from Tim River access, up the South River to the POW, then down to Winifred Lake then a night on Big Bob then back out to the Tim.

2/20/2017 11:35 am  #4

While my father was fighting in Europe, German POW's were having a wonderful time in Ontario.  Such a good time as prisoners, that many of them stayed or returned after the war.

Similar photos can be seen of the hardships faced by POW's while interred in Gravenhurst.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.