You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2017 11:31 pm  #1

Hot Tenting

Any pretty points of interest to go hot tenting?
Our gear is pretty heavy but it would be cool to lean towards a more back country experience vs. car camping.
Thanks for any help

1/08/2017 2:20 am  #2

Re: Hot Tenting

Don't let the weight of the gear stop you from going back country.  You can pick up a cheap sled from Canadian Tire which will help you lug the stuff back a ways.  You don't have to go too far from your vehicle if you didn't want to either.  The air field at Mew Lake is a good option

1/08/2017 1:42 pm  #3

could anyone recommend a hot tent and stove combo?    atuk?

1/08/2017 4:09 pm  #4

I have a Kni-Co stove and I like it!  I have the Alaskan model which is their largest model.  It's big and bulky and heavy but I"m not worried about that

1/08/2017 7:43 pm  #5

Great photos! Where did you rent the Hot Tent from fishinggal?
My Brother-in-law and I were looking at possibly doing a hot tent trip to a back country (crown) lake for a weekend this year to do some fishing.

Thanks in advance!

1/08/2017 10:35 pm  #6

For you people doing the winter camping Google    '''''''Smitty Sleds""""      they have been using them on Lake Simcoe and they have become very popular the last few years.       for those who will take the time to build them,     some hints,.    they are mostly for even terrain but will take some up's and downs over hills . once you use one you"ll kick yourself why you didn't think of this sooner.     

1)  go to your salvation army, value village  etc. etc. and get a second hand pair of dowhill ski"s  as they are wider,   put your heaviest equipment at the bottom of your sled,    something I did with mine to make is a little sturdier was put a crossbrace across the front section and the back section.    just a bit of metal I had kicking around the house.   I think my total cost for mine was under $25.    had most of the material around the house.     I don't have any pictures of mine handy but will take some when I do get it put together to get out ice fishing.             email is kenmacdonald@rogers.com          for anyone who has any questions...      

1/09/2017 8:39 am  #7

Long time winter camper here! I've tried the Komatik or "smitty" style sleds and find that while they track well, they're really poor with a heavy load or in powdery snow. Because of their high centre of balance, they need to be wide to keep from rolling over, which lifts them out of your track so now you're trail breaking for both you and your sled.Those "smitty" sleds are too light and weak for trail use- they're meant to haul light loads on ice and the tips will snap the first time you hit something solid  like a buried log or rock, after all, you're hauling a tent, stove, and other gear, not an ice auger and gas.
Best for Algonquin's varied terrain and changing snow conditions is the good old toboggan- narrow, low, and flexible enough that it'll follow in your track and stay upright while hauling a ton of weight (literally! some FN and trappers used 16' ones). You can get the Cadillac of sleds made out of HDPE or puck board, or get one of the commercial variations, or even go old school like me and use a waxed wood one!

1/09/2017 9:13 am  #8

I've really slacked off with posting to my web site, it's a New Year's Resolution to get back at it.

However I do have two articles on building a pulk for winter camping as well as some winter hot tent trip reports. Feel free to have a look. Building the sleds is pretty easy.

http://www.smedleyco.com/Algonquin-Park/Algopedia/Winter-Sled/How-To-Build-A-Pulk.aspx
http://www.smedleyco.com/Algonquin-Park/Algopedia/Mega-Pulk/Build-DIY-Mega-Pulk.aspx

Trip log of last years trip.
http://www.smedleyco.com/Algonquin-Park/Trip-Logs/Winter-Camping-02122015/Winter-Camping

Informational article I wrote about getting started in winter camping.
http://www.parksbloggerontario.com/getting-started-tips-in-winter-camping

It's great fun out there in the snow, give it a go!

1/09/2017 9:53 am  #9

I like that rope setup SmedleyCo. We've been meaning to do the same thing to one of our toboggans even just for getting stuff into the cottage in the winter. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.