You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2016 9:11 am  #1

Nadine Lake

John Connelly's latest post in Where is this? has me very intrigued by Nadine Lake.

Looking at the map, it's pretty far from everywhere by Algonquin standards. What's your favourite way to work Nadine Lake into a loop? 

What's the shortest way to work Nadine Lake into a loop or a there and back?

Maybe I'll add it to my trip list for 2017.

12/13/2016 10:18 am  #2

Re: Nadine Lake

Shortest way is probably Brent up the Nipissing. I'd probably take one day of rest on the first and last day on the nipissing and two days on nadine if I was doing it. Nipissing has lots of trout, lots of moose lots of bugs, lots of privacy and not very good campsites compared to elsewhere in Algonquin. 

12/13/2016 11:19 am  #3

Here's the best way I can see doing it as a loop from Brent. I typically prefer a more relaxed pace but I think this could be do-able (I paddle tandem and single carry portages). All days end up being approx 5 hrs travel time (we're usually pretty true to estimates on Jeff's Maps). This is longer than we typically travel in a day but generally we're pretty lazy around camp so we could pick up the pace without too much effort. 

Brent Access to Cauchon for night 1 
Cauchon to Erables for Night 2 
Erables to Nadine for Nights 3 and 4 
Nadine to Rolling Dam Sites on the Nip for Night 5 
Rolling Dam to Brent Access

Thoughts? Advice? Insight?

12/13/2016 5:26 pm  #4

Here's a view from the second site below the Perley Dam that is marked as inaccessible on Jeff's Map. The area where the canoes are stored is a bit upstream of the tent/fire pit area and there is a trail, so it isn't entirely inaccurate. We liked the site and I think it is better than the sites at the Rolling Dam.

12/13/2016 6:31 pm  #5

Hey Claire, my fiancee and I did almost that exact loop last summer and it's a good one. A great mix of lakes - big and small, rivers and creeks - and ruins galore! (if that's your thing).

We did Little Cauchon, Erables, Nadine, Nipissing. Went in/came out at Cedar Lake.

Fantastic loop - just get an early start on Cedar - not only to beat the winds on Cedar itself but also on Little Cauchon (and Cauchon if you're going that far) because they can kick up pretty bad past 12 noon. (this has been my experience several times - always glad to be on a campsite before the winds make my day harder than it needs to be.)

The day from Little Cauchon to Earbles felt long, but its not so bad. The day from Erables to Nadine was pretty intense. The portage between Little Nadine and Little Osler is just out to lunch for insanity - especially if you're travelling south. It's doable (obviously) just plan some extra time for this day. Take advantage of the spring on the portage between Osler and Nadine. And great call planning for 2 nights on Nadine, not just for the travel the day before but it's a great lake to wake up, brew a coffee and do nothing on.

The Nip is fun. Campsites generally stink but there's the odd good one here and there.

12/14/2016 11:50 am  #6

Thanks for the tips Peek! We're more weekend warriors than anything else; typically doing 3-day trips over long weekends but I've been craving a longer canoe trip for a while and I think this might fit the bill! 

The last long trip we did was Killarney but we had to go with our 4th or 5th choice of route because it gets so booked up! 

12/14/2016 8:00 pm  #7

I was on Nadine last summer as part of a longer trip: Cedar --> Catfish --> Hogan's --> Lake la Muir --> Burntroot --> Nadine via Nipissing --> Nipissing --> Cedar.

Nadine is definitely a unique lake with the clearest water I've seen in Algonquin.  It's worth the trip.  Keep in mind that the portages into Nipissing are a slog.  Also, the water in the Nipissing isn't the most appealing.  I ended up carrying a lot of water out of Nadine, and I don't regret it one bit....of course the portage out was all down hill.

If you're interested in a shorter loop you might consider Cedar --> Catfish --> Burntroot --> Nadine --> Cedar via Nipissing.  If you want the fastest there-and-back trip, it's probably the Nipissing from Cedar.  For my trip I was planning on spending a night on a site by the Rolling Dam, but all the sites on the river are sub-par.  I ended up going from Nadine back to Brent in one shot....I kept thinking the next site will be better.  If you can manage the distance you might stay at one of the better sites at the mouth of the Nipissing on Cedar, and try to get to Nadine in one shot.

12/15/2016 11:52 am  #8

Thanks for the tips UpTheCreek.

The burntroot loop seems possible too. The portages are longer than I'd like, but aren't they always. 

What's it like paddling the Pet upstream? It is problematic?

12/15/2016 4:45 pm  #9

Between Cedar and Catfish the Petawawa is no problem going upstream.  I haven't personally done the stretch between Sunfish and Perley Lake, but on my trip I was camped on the site next to the portage between Burntroot and Perley and spoke with a couple who came up the Petawawa from Catfish and they said it was fine.  The fastest moving water I experienced on that trip was on the Nipissing.

In terms of portages, the 2345m on the Petawawa wasn't as bad as I expected.  It's long, but the climb is gradual.  I found the 1410m into Nadine from the Nipissing to be much worse.

12/16/2016 9:03 am  #10

I have only ever seen one moose in Algonquin (or anywhere actually) and it was in the winter and it was so far off in the trees that it may have been something else entirely.

Maybe a trip to Nadine will be my Great Moose Adventure!

12/26/2016 10:21 am  #11

Great lake, enjoy it, springs all over those portages, don't be afraid to try!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.